Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. 10:12 - Mar 23 with 3892 viewsunstableblue

… look at the massive away support for the top of the table team!?

With a stadium capacity of 5200.

Good on them I say. But we really are in the lower leagues.

PS - this will remain a bloody hard league to get out of next season, confident in McKenna, especially with some attacking additions, but it won’t be a given, and we’ll need to come out of the blocks flying, and teams will play very deep against us

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 10:18 - Mar 23 with 3241 viewsVaughan8

Lets be fair, it was a weekday night, live on sky.

WIth everything going on, it probably costs a lot to get there.

Also, I don't think they have a massive fan base!

EDIT just went to check my last statement is true - apparently fill less than half their own stadium on average:-

"21) FOREST GREEN ROVERS
The average attendance at Forest Green’s The New Lawn for the 2021/22 League Two season so far currently stands at 2,430.

It means that Rovers, who sit 1st in the current league standings, have on average filled 47.3 % of their ground, according to data from the Transfermarkt website.

The club had 2,538 for the 2019/20 season, however fans were unable to attend from March 2019 and then for the majority, weren’t allowed to allow full capacity for the 2020/21 campaign."
[Post edited 23 Mar 2022 10:22]
We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 10:23 - Mar 23 with 3202 viewsGlevum

Best hope it's a sunny day at the end of August. For away fans it's uncovered terrace on top of a windy Cotswold hill. The walk up from the village at the bottom is steep.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2022 10:24]
We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 10:31 - Mar 23 with 3125 viewsunstableblue

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 10:18 - Mar 23 by Vaughan8

Lets be fair, it was a weekday night, live on sky.

WIth everything going on, it probably costs a lot to get there.

Also, I don't think they have a massive fan base!

EDIT just went to check my last statement is true - apparently fill less than half their own stadium on average:-

"21) FOREST GREEN ROVERS
The average attendance at Forest Green’s The New Lawn for the 2021/22 League Two season so far currently stands at 2,430.

It means that Rovers, who sit 1st in the current league standings, have on average filled 47.3 % of their ground, according to data from the Transfermarkt website.

The club had 2,538 for the 2019/20 season, however fans were unable to attend from March 2019 and then for the majority, weren’t allowed to allow full capacity for the 2020/21 campaign."
[Post edited 23 Mar 2022 10:22]

As I said good on them. And whether it’s 2000 or 200 good of the manager to acknowledge them.

But as your interesting stats describe this is a very very small club to be playing in the league.

And we need to do everything to get out of this league next season.

Taking a McKenna team on away trips to Championship grounds, with finally a style of play we believe on and want to watch, will be fantastic

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 10:33 - Mar 23 with 3108 viewsclive_baker

They'll all too busy preaching to someone about veganism innit.

Yeah next season will be tough, Peterborough and Barnsley know how to get out of this division, they're of the same ilk as Rotherham and probably the ones you least want here in some respects, but they're both going to be joining us. While the likes of Derby are a 'big club', they're also a basket case and I would be less concerned about them.

Rotherham + Wigan up would be a good result. Perhaps joined by a Sunderland or Sheff Wed. The likes of Plymouth, MK Dons, Oxford etc know what they're doing at this level but they don't have pockets as deep as the others.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 10:33 - Mar 23 with 3110 viewsunstableblue

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 10:23 - Mar 23 by Glevum

Best hope it's a sunny day at the end of August. For away fans it's uncovered terrace on top of a windy Cotswold hill. The walk up from the village at the bottom is steep.
[Post edited 23 Mar 2022 10:24]

I didn’t realise it’s the Cotswold! It’s near Minchinhampton Common, place I used to go as a kid, bombing around on a trials bike with no helmet! Mental

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 10:40 - Mar 23 with 3020 viewsunstableblue

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 10:33 - Mar 23 by clive_baker

They'll all too busy preaching to someone about veganism innit.

Yeah next season will be tough, Peterborough and Barnsley know how to get out of this division, they're of the same ilk as Rotherham and probably the ones you least want here in some respects, but they're both going to be joining us. While the likes of Derby are a 'big club', they're also a basket case and I would be less concerned about them.

Rotherham + Wigan up would be a good result. Perhaps joined by a Sunderland or Sheff Wed. The likes of Plymouth, MK Dons, Oxford etc know what they're doing at this level but they don't have pockets as deep as the others.

Glad you out the teams up.

Derby and Reading will probably come down and could get new investment in the summer; and Derby will be incredibly well supported.

I’d rather Oxford went up than Weds… they’ve been at the play-offs for a while and were good in the first half Saturday, if Oxford stay down they’ll be playoff seasoned.

MK Dons worry me; Manning is probably up with McKenna as the top young manager in the country, and they’ve looked strong in both our meetings. Sunderland are going to get it right at some point.

That’s why I want to finish the season strongly, get the team to learn how to score, to see out games. And to beat Rotherham, Wigan and critically Plymouth… who are only going to improve next term

Some good attacking additions, a strong pre season, being through Baggot and Humphreys and a youth striker… and let’s hit the ground running

I do think we’ll get offers for Burns, Edmundson and The Wolf

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 10:41 - Mar 23 with 3024 viewsChrisd

It's these sort of comments that really infuriate me, we are where we are because we deserve to be there, we got ourselves in this situation. We've got no entitlement because we won the Division 1 title, FA Cup and UFEA Cup in our glorious past and have a stadium with a capacity of over 30,000, it's irrelevant! It's now up to the club and the network around it to get ourselves out of L1. However, don't belittle other clubs and their achievements because of our own incompetences under ME and his managerial regime.

Rant over Unstableblue. Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 10:44 - Mar 23 with 3001 viewsGlevum

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 10:33 - Mar 23 by unstableblue

I didn’t realise it’s the Cotswold! It’s near Minchinhampton Common, place I used to go as a kid, bombing around on a trials bike with no helmet! Mental

Forest Green is really a "suburb" of a large village/small town called Nailsworth at the bottom of the hill. You can forget about quaint cotswold stone cottages and princess Anne trotting by, it's a bit of a dump. The surrounding area is very nice though.
Login to get fewer ads

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 10:49 - Mar 23 with 2954 viewsclive_baker

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 10:40 - Mar 23 by unstableblue

Glad you out the teams up.

Derby and Reading will probably come down and could get new investment in the summer; and Derby will be incredibly well supported.

I’d rather Oxford went up than Weds… they’ve been at the play-offs for a while and were good in the first half Saturday, if Oxford stay down they’ll be playoff seasoned.

MK Dons worry me; Manning is probably up with McKenna as the top young manager in the country, and they’ve looked strong in both our meetings. Sunderland are going to get it right at some point.

That’s why I want to finish the season strongly, get the team to learn how to score, to see out games. And to beat Rotherham, Wigan and critically Plymouth… who are only going to improve next term

Some good attacking additions, a strong pre season, being through Baggot and Humphreys and a youth striker… and let’s hit the ground running

I do think we’ll get offers for Burns, Edmundson and The Wolf

I think Reading will stay up, they're 5 points clear now. It's looking like Derby, Barnsley, Peterborough. It's certainly going to be tough, there's also Pompey, Bolton etc to consider who will miss out on the top 6 but will probably be tricky next season.

Agree re. the squad evolution, there's a number of players out of contract namely Holy, Kenlock, Norwood, Jackson, Carroll, Aluko. Plus the loanees Bakinson, Thompson, Celina, Bonne. I think that's everyone, I would personally only be interested in keeping Aluko from those, and Celina if a deal could be done. Possibly Thompson. So that would be 7 departures, with Harper coming back into the squad. Certainly frees up the chance for Dobra, Simpson, Humpreys to stake a claim. As well as the addition of a couple of signings. Wouldn't be averse to flogging Piggot either, can't help but feel his wages could be better spent elsewhere.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 10:59 - Mar 23 with 2884 viewsunstableblue

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 10:41 - Mar 23 by Chrisd

It's these sort of comments that really infuriate me, we are where we are because we deserve to be there, we got ourselves in this situation. We've got no entitlement because we won the Division 1 title, FA Cup and UFEA Cup in our glorious past and have a stadium with a capacity of over 30,000, it's irrelevant! It's now up to the club and the network around it to get ourselves out of L1. However, don't belittle other clubs and their achievements because of our own incompetences under ME and his managerial regime.

I’m so in your camp Chrisd and maybe my post came across poorly.

All through this season sections of the fan base have either been flippant about how easy to get out of the league it is, town have a god given right due to our size to be in a higher league or (most frustratingly) the quality of the teams in league one is really low.

We have no right to be out of this league, we’ll have to earn it, we’ll have to have greater consistency and score more goals. We have the least goals of the top nine! And we just haven’t threatened most of the top clubs in attack when we’ve played them.

I also think MK, Rotherham, Oxford, et al have played well.

It will be a great achievement to win promotion next term and proof McKenna is the real McCoy - but it ain’t going to easy.

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 11:06 - Mar 23 with 2842 viewsunstableblue

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 10:49 - Mar 23 by clive_baker

I think Reading will stay up, they're 5 points clear now. It's looking like Derby, Barnsley, Peterborough. It's certainly going to be tough, there's also Pompey, Bolton etc to consider who will miss out on the top 6 but will probably be tricky next season.

Agree re. the squad evolution, there's a number of players out of contract namely Holy, Kenlock, Norwood, Jackson, Carroll, Aluko. Plus the loanees Bakinson, Thompson, Celina, Bonne. I think that's everyone, I would personally only be interested in keeping Aluko from those, and Celina if a deal could be done. Possibly Thompson. So that would be 7 departures, with Harper coming back into the squad. Certainly frees up the chance for Dobra, Simpson, Humpreys to stake a claim. As well as the addition of a couple of signings. Wouldn't be averse to flogging Piggot either, can't help but feel his wages could be better spent elsewhere.

Bolton will be strong next year, they beat us well twice this season, and there is a momentum in their fan base.

Top man Chris you’ve now put up the exiting players!!

I’d keep Celina over Aluko, preferably both. Aluko doesn’t threaten goal enough for me, but could have a role as a senior player.

We need a really strong under study to Morsy next term, and I hope that’s el Mizouni, with Humphreys pushing evans. We may need another if Carrol leaves. Harper is not doing well at Crewe.

I would personally get rid of bonne, Norwood and possibly Jackson (although it seems he’ll stay).. Jackson has given pace. Bonne sadly just not consistent, I’d suggest if he’d carried even half his early form we’d easily be in the play offs.

Bakinson is an enigma…. But I think he could keep improving.

Thompson will improve and should be kept, but that will be hard

Simpson will probably leave.

Don’t call me mad, but I might keep Piggot… there is a player there who could suit McKenna ball… he just needs confidence at town

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 11:51 - Mar 23 with 2648 viewsBlueBadger

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 10:41 - Mar 23 by Chrisd

Is it just me or is all this crowing about attendance figures in the third division a bit 'Norwich City'?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 12:06 - Mar 23 with 2602 viewsGarv

Even when we had the underachievers now floundering in L2 we had fans saying 'we should be pissing this' almost every week.

We have more right to expect big things now, but it's never guaranteed. As you say, we're here for a reason.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 12:11 - Mar 23 with 2533 viewsunstableblue

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 11:51 - Mar 23 by BlueBadger

Is it just me or is all this crowing about attendance figures in the third division a bit 'Norwich City'?

Not sure there was any 'Crowing about attendance figures' BB?

As stated good on Forrest Green for a brilliant season, and getting into League One.

But it does shine a light again on the level Town are at - WE DESERVE to be at, and have no divine right to leave - when we'll be playing a team in the league who's average league attendance is 2,400.

But as I've stated through the season, there was never any 'p!ss the league', there were never any easy game, and I think the standard of opposition is often decent.

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 12:31 - Mar 23 with 2443 viewsBlueBadger

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 12:06 - Mar 23 by Garv

Even when we had the underachievers now floundering in L2 we had fans saying 'we should be pissing this' almost every week.

We have more right to expect big things now, but it's never guaranteed. As you say, we're here for a reason.

We SHOULD have been pissing it. Those 'underachievers' managed long unbeaten runs and were sat close to the top despite the drag factors of Lambert and Cook.

The fact that we DIDN'T piss the league is a testimony to how badly we've been managed and run over the past 4 years.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 12:35 - Mar 23 with 2422 viewsRadlett_blue

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 10:31 - Mar 23 by unstableblue

As I said good on them. And whether it’s 2000 or 200 good of the manager to acknowledge them.

But as your interesting stats describe this is a very very small club to be playing in the league.

And we need to do everything to get out of this league next season.

Taking a McKenna team on away trips to Championship grounds, with finally a style of play we believe on and want to watch, will be fantastic

I won't echo "good on them" because they've risen up through the leagues largely by spending more than they earn every season, backed by a rich man or man pursuing his dream ,whatever your point of view. Once he loses interest, they will go into admin and/or collapse back through the leagues, or be dissolved like Rushden & Diamonds.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 12:43 - Mar 23 with 2387 viewsChrisd

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 10:59 - Mar 23 by unstableblue

I’m so in your camp Chrisd and maybe my post came across poorly.

All through this season sections of the fan base have either been flippant about how easy to get out of the league it is, town have a god given right due to our size to be in a higher league or (most frustratingly) the quality of the teams in league one is really low.

We have no right to be out of this league, we’ll have to earn it, we’ll have to have greater consistency and score more goals. We have the least goals of the top nine! And we just haven’t threatened most of the top clubs in attack when we’ve played them.

I also think MK, Rotherham, Oxford, et al have played well.

It will be a great achievement to win promotion next term and proof McKenna is the real McCoy - but it ain’t going to easy.

It didn't generally Unstable, I think I read your first line about their capacity and it got me all revved up!! On reflection, it seems like our views are rather similar on this topic. Once again, apologies for the earlier rant.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 12:47 - Mar 23 with 2356 viewsSwansea_Blue

great camera angle. Panning round you’re expecting to see a sizeable crowd, and then….

Good on them though. They seem like a genuine club, powered by plants too. They’ll soon attract more plastic fans as they get more successful as well.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 12:51 - Mar 23 with 2321 viewsEdwardStone

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 12:47 - Mar 23 by Swansea_Blue

great camera angle. Panning round you’re expecting to see a sizeable crowd, and then….

Good on them though. They seem like a genuine club, powered by plants too. They’ll soon attract more plastic fans as they get more successful as well.

Bio degradable plastic, one hopes

Or maybe bamboo

Or woven sea-grass fans
We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 13:14 - Mar 23 with 2150 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 10:44 - Mar 23 by Glevum

Forest Green is really a "suburb" of a large village/small town called Nailsworth at the bottom of the hill. You can forget about quaint cotswold stone cottages and princess Anne trotting by, it's a bit of a dump. The surrounding area is very nice though.

Nailsworth, a small town with a population of approximately five and a half thousand.
That’s about two thousand less than Diss.
I need to let that sink in for a moment.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 13:21 - Mar 23 with 2107 viewsSwansea_Blue

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 12:51 - Mar 23 by EdwardStone

Bio degradable plastic, one hopes

Or maybe bamboo

Or woven sea-grass fans

Woven sea-grass sounds good, although they're highly endangered biotypes these days sadly.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 13:23 - Mar 23 with 2095 viewsitfc_bucks

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 10:49 - Mar 23 by clive_baker

If Dobra, Simpson, Harper and el Miz are anywhere near the picture next season, I'll be beyond stunned.

Holy is a lovely bloke but is probably a goner. Kenlock and Nors are probably both done for as well. Not sure if Carroll is out of contract, is that confirmed? In any case, I suspect he'll get another 12 months out of McKenna. Like you, I'd like to see Aluko retained. It'd have to be a good deal to take on Celina - I just don't see enough consistency or desire to do the dirty work.

And it's the grafting, dirty work that gets you out of shthole leagues like this.
We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 13:24 - Mar 23 with 2090 viewsPendejo

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 12:35 - Mar 23 by Radlett_blue

I won't echo "good on them" because they've risen up through the leagues largely by spending more than they earn every season, backed by a rich man or man pursuing his dream ,whatever your point of view. Once he loses interest, they will go into admin and/or collapse back through the leagues, or be dissolved like Rushden & Diamonds.

Whilst your point has merit, if it was based purely on finance alone we wouldn't still be where we are.

They have have recruited and coached well to rise up.

Don't care how small a ground or support is, fair play if they over achieve, I just hope we can over achieve again.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 13:32 - Mar 23 with 2061 viewsIllinoisblue

I’m hoping the final slap in the face of this banter era was the rearranging of the Wigan and Rotherham games; thousands of Ipswich fans inconvenienced and have their Easter plans ruined so Sky can be around to see fooking Wigan or Rotherham get promoted. Leaving us as bridesmaid looking on wondering when we get to catch the bouquet.

I hope and pray to god we can sweep all before us next season and get out of this L1 hell.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 14:01 - Mar 23 with 1949 viewsunstableblue

We’re probably going to be playing Forest Green Rovers next season…. on 13:32 - Mar 23 by Illinoisblue

I’m hoping the final slap in the face of this banter era was the rearranging of the Wigan and Rotherham games; thousands of Ipswich fans inconvenienced and have their Easter plans ruined so Sky can be around to see fooking Wigan or Rotherham get promoted. Leaving us as bridesmaid looking on wondering when we get to catch the bouquet.

I hope and pray to god we can sweep all before us next season and get out of this L1 hell.

If by 'final slap in the face of this banter era'.. you mean no more 'p!ss the league' underestimation, no more god given right to promotion, and no more complacency - I'm with you...

You're right about how shaming it will be watching the Wigan and Rotherham coronations - although I suspect Sky do want the drama of what they know is now a very capable Town team upsetting the parade.

To sweep all away next season, is going to take some astute attacking signings - we need a Murphy in his pomp type player to match some of the teams flair passing, we need a Ross Stewart. But critically we need to hit the ground running and realise we need to score first and early in as many games as possible. We bemoan the points lost to teams as they resort to sh!thousery, but that happens in the second half... we had 45mins to open a team up like Cheltenham. We are the lowest scorers in the top 9. We need to treat the first game of next season as if it was Oxford last weekend and Plymouth on Saturday.

Exciting prospect.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024