Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martin McGuinness 21:05 - Jan 19 with 29520 viewsvapour_trail

Farewell to a political heavyweight. One of the key players in the creation of the current relatively peaceful northern Ireland and a man with a pretty grim past.

He will be missed.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Martin McGuinness on 01:04 - Sep 25 with 683 viewsconnorscontract

Martin McGuinness on 21:35 - Sep 24 by BloomBlue

I still have a glass of whiskey every night to celebrate the death of that murder McGuiness who did nothing for peace in Ireland

The truth is a whole lot more complicated than you make out.

He did a huge amount to direct the armed campaign of the IRA, which included attacks on civilian targets.

He did a huge amount to bring the Republican community into Peace Talks. He was pivotal in that shift in attitude. Then in bringing The Good Friday Agreement into being. Then in making the Power Sharing Executive work (for a time).

To say he did nothing for peace in Ireland is silly.

He did a huge
Martin McGuinness on 09:47 - Sep 25 with 556 viewsRadlett_blue

Martin McGuinness on 01:04 - Sep 25 by connorscontract

He did a huge amount to direct the armed campaign of the IRA, which included attacks on civilian targets.

He did a huge amount to bring the Republican community into Peace Talks. He was pivotal in that shift in attitude. Then in bringing The Good Friday Agreement into being. Then in making the Power Sharing Executive work (for a time).

He did a huge

And if it hadn't been accepted that former terrorists could play a future role in the governance of the province, there would have been no peace agreement and the "Troubles" would be continuing.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Martin McGuinness on 09:54 - Sep 25 with 550 viewsbracknell_blue

Martin McGuinness on 01:04 - Sep 25 by connorscontract

He did a huge

I have just started watching the BBC4 series The Secret History of the Troubles. Only 1 episode in but already it is clear who precipitated the rise of the PIRA and made a difficult situation (unfair to Nationalists - I don't have a "side in this"). Rev Ian Paisley. If you don't believe me, give the series a watch. It will open some eyes. No-one comes out well but some worse than others.

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

Martin McGuinness on 10:57 - Sep 25 with 512 viewsjontysnut

Martin McGuinness on 21:32 - Sep 24 by Ewan_Oozami

If England had been treated by Ireland as Ireland was by the English (and the Scots tbf), I think you'd appreciate the difference.

That's not to say that the Irish are totally blameless, but if England has been in the same situation, we'd have done exactly the same I guess - but England hasn't been in the that situation, well, not since 1066, so we'll never know..

well Farrage did say that he'd don khaki, pick up a rifle and head for the lines if May didn't deliver Brexit. Rees-Mogg's nanny would probably knit him a balaclava
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024