Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Encouraging kids to gamble 13:23 - Feb 7 with 1847 viewsgtsb1966

This is low and in my opinion they should've done time. http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/colchester_businessman_dylan_rigby_fined_174k_after_f
Encouraging kids to gamble on 13:28 - Feb 7 with 1802 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

To clarify, FIFA coins can be put from your Xbox account to this site

You then bet your coins (virtual money) on the games.

The FIFA coins are early from completing matches and selling your players, etc.

BUT, you can buy coins with real money. I guess that's the problem here.. the fact that the virtual currency has financial value.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

Encouraging kids to gamble on 13:31 - Feb 7 with 1778 viewsgtsb1966

Encouraging kids to gamble on 13:28 - Feb 7 by The_Romford_Blue

BUT, you can buy coins with real money. I guess that's the problem here.. the fact that the virtual currency has financial value.

The article says the game coins could be converted into cash .
Encouraging kids to gamble on 13:38 - Feb 7 with 1741 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Encouraging kids to gamble on 13:31 - Feb 7 by gtsb1966

The article says the game coins could be converted into cash .

No they can only be converted into cash if back on to FIFA and then selling your account. Or something.

I think

Encouraging kids to gamble on 13:41 - Feb 7 with 1729 viewsLankHenners

Encouraging kids to gamble on 13:28 - Feb 7 by The_Romford_Blue

It's a gambling site they set up which converts FIFA coins into real cash, used to gamble with, then converted back and put back into your account if you win, just like how gambling works on any level.

The problem here is that it encourages underage gambling. The ability to buy these coins with real money is a completely separate issue.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Encouraging kids to gamble on 13:44 - Feb 7 with 1702 viewsJ2BLUE

Agreed, that is clearly wrong.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Encouraging kids to gamble on 13:46 - Feb 7 with 1691 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Encouraging kids to gamble on 13:41 - Feb 7 by LankHenners

It's a gambling site they set up which converts FIFA coins into real cash, used to gamble with, then converted back and put back into your account if you win, just like how gambling works on any level.

The problem here is that it encourages underage gambling. The ability to buy these coins with real money is a completely separate issue.

No they don't convert them into real cash at any stage.

I know of the site and my brother and quite a few of his mates were on it (for about a week) last year.

I can see the issue though as the coins cost money in real life.

Encouraging kids to gamble on 13:48 - Feb 7 with 1673 viewsgtsb1966

Encouraging kids to gamble on 13:46 - Feb 7 by The_Romford_Blue

I know of the site and my brother and quite a few of his mates were on it (for about a week) last year.

They did convert them to cash, the article says so. He didn't get £170,000 fine for nothing!!!
Encouraging kids to gamble on 13:52 - Feb 7 with 1655 viewsLankHenners

Encouraging kids to gamble on 13:46 - Feb 7 by The_Romford_Blue

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38879969

Yes they are - they can be converted into cash on the 'black market' as it were and thus given a real value.

It's little to do with them costing real money - that's an entirely separate issue. Pretty alarming that you don't seem to see a problem with what this encourages and could easily lead to.

Login to get fewer ads

Encouraging kids to gamble on 13:55 - Feb 7 with 1633 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Encouraging kids to gamble on 13:52 - Feb 7 by LankHenners

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-38879969

Yes they are - they can be converted into cash on the 'black market' as it were and thus given a real value.

It's little to do with them costing real money - that's an entirely separate issue. Pretty alarming that you don't seem to see a problem with what this encourages and could easily lead to.

I think your last line is unnecessary as I've said on every post so far in this thread that I can see the issue with it.

Converted on the black market. That's exactly what happens with FIFA anyway. Gamers might win lots of games, earn lots of money and then sell there account 'on the black market' or on eBay for real money.

The gambling part is still gambling FIFA coins.

But I don't care either way tbh. I can see why it's a problem.

Encouraging kids to gamble on 13:58 - Feb 7 with 1616 viewsITFC1983

Definitely should have got a harsher sentence, I don't know why they thought this was acceptable. Clearly done purely to profit from children. SICK.

Poll: £16m Mario Balotelli or £11m Ross McCormack or £FREE* David McGoldrick

Encouraging kids to gamble on 13:59 - Feb 7 with 1609 viewsBlueBadger

Encouraging kids to gamble on 13:55 - Feb 7 by The_Romford_Blue

I think your last line is unnecessary as I've said on every post so far in this thread that I can see the issue with it.

Converted on the black market. That's exactly what happens with FIFA anyway. Gamers might win lots of games, earn lots of money and then sell there account 'on the black market' or on eBay for real money.

The whole thing was proper scammy. He had a number of 'streamer' mates who we taking money from him to push the site whilst lying about a) who much money they were making from it and b) their level of association with the whole thing.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-02-06-youtuber-pleads-guilty-to-fifa-gamb
[Post edited 7 Feb 2017 14:27]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Encouraging kids to gamble on 14:01 - Feb 7 with 1598 viewsLankHenners

Encouraging kids to gamble on 13:55 - Feb 7 by The_Romford_Blue

That's a very confused post - the only issue you've said you can see is the ability to sell something that is essentially virtual for money. That, once again, is an entirely separate issue.

To say you "don't care" is incredibly flippant and I'll use alarming again. If kids are encouraged to do this with virtual money, it's then so easy for them to get sucked into gambling with real money without seeing any of the risks as there is next to no risk gambling with virtual money: you don't really lose out if you don't get the virtual coins back.

Edit - also, if kids lose these virtual coins, they may then buy more (which does, in fairness, bring in your issue) to gamble with, and then they lose, buy more, and so on so they actually are then in effect gambling and losing real money.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2017 14:03]

Encouraging kids to gamble on 14:07 - Feb 7 with 1562 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Encouraging kids to gamble on 14:01 - Feb 7 by LankHenners

That's a very confused post - the only issue you've said you can see is the ability to sell something that is essentially virtual for money. That, once again, is an entirely separate issue.

To say you "don't care" is incredibly flippant and I'll use alarming again. If kids are encouraged to do this with virtual money, it's then so easy for them to get sucked into gambling with real money without seeing any of the risks as there is next to no risk gambling with virtual money: you don't really lose out if you don't get the virtual coins back.

Edit - also, if kids lose these virtual coins, they may then buy more (which does, in fairness, bring in your issue) to gamble with, and then they lose, buy more, and so on so they actually are then in effect gambling and losing real money.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2017 14:03]

The bit you have added in with the edit is exactly what I'm saying is the issue. That's why it is wrong. I've acknowledged it's wrong.

I was simply trying to explain how it works because, as I said, my brother and his mates did it for a few days.

No I don't care enough to continue debating on it when I think we actually agree that it's wrong. Our wording may be different but the belief is still the same

Encouraging kids to gamble on 14:13 - Feb 7 with 1540 viewsLankHenners

Encouraging kids to gamble on 14:07 - Feb 7 by The_Romford_Blue

The bit you have added in with the edit is exactly what I'm saying is the issue. That's why it is wrong. I've acknowledged it's wrong.

I was simply trying to explain how it works because, as I said, my brother and his mates did it for a few days.

No I don't care enough to continue debating on it when I think we actually agree that it's wrong. Our wording may be different but the belief is still the same

It's only part of the issue (at best), but anyway.

You don't need to tell me how it works, I already know.

If you don't care than you don't care but it is a very alarming issue and you don't seem to have acknowledged the encouraging gambling aspect of it.

Encouraging kids to gamble on 14:27 - Feb 7 with 1473 viewsJ2BLUE

Encouraging kids to gamble on 14:13 - Feb 7 by LankHenners

If you don't care than you don't care but it is a very alarming issue and you don't seem to have acknowledged the encouraging gambling aspect of it.

This could go on for days. The two of you are on completely different wave lengths here.

Truly impaired.

Encouraging kids to gamble on 14:39 - Feb 7 with 1417 viewsBlueWill

EA Sports do the exact same thing that these guys did in the game itself, 'Encouraging kids to gamble' on FIFA you can open packs for real money and get a random set of players etc, this is gambling as well, if these guys are doing something wrong then so are EA.

Also, I play Counter strike and they have the same thing, where on the game you can pay money and open crates and get a skin that makes your weapon a different colour/ have a new pattern, depending on how rare the pattern the more it's worth in real life money which in a way makes this gambling. Loads of websites popped up allowing you to gamble and then Valve who make Counter strike set a law suit against them, and people were claiming this as child gambling.

The point is, you can't say it's these 2 that are encouraging kids to gamble, it's the game itself.
Encouraging kids to gamble on 14:41 - Feb 7 with 1397 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Encouraging kids to gamble on 14:27 - Feb 7 by J2BLUE

This could go on for days. The two of you are on completely different wave lengths here.

He's just not listening to me for some reason

That's my lot

Encouraging kids to gamble on 14:41 - Feb 7 with 1392 viewsJ2BLUE

Encouraging kids to gamble on 14:39 - Feb 7 by BlueWill

EA Sports do the exact same thing that these guys did in the game itself, 'Encouraging kids to gamble' on FIFA you can open packs for real money and get a random set of players etc, this is gambling as well, if these guys are doing something wrong then so are EA.

Also, I play Counter strike and they have the same thing, where on the game you can pay money and open crates and get a skin that makes your weapon a different colour/ have a new pattern, depending on how rare the pattern the more it's worth in real life money which in a way makes this gambling. Loads of websites popped up allowing you to gamble and then Valve who make Counter strike set a law suit against them, and people were claiming this as child gambling.

The point is, you can't say it's these 2 that are encouraging kids to gamble, it's the game itself.

So if a kid buys a pack of Pokemon cards they are gambling because one of them might be more rare than the other...?

Truly impaired.

Encouraging kids to gamble on 14:43 - Feb 7 with 1384 viewsLankHenners

Encouraging kids to gamble on 14:39 - Feb 7 by BlueWill

It's a separate issue.

"You can't say it's these 2 that are encouraging kids to gamble" Err... Yes. Yes you can.

Encouraging kids to gamble on 14:45 - Feb 7 with 1369 viewsRyorry

Encouraging kids to gamble on 14:13 - Feb 7 by LankHenners

Oh come on Henners, he's clearly said several times that he thinks it's wrong; I don't see the need to split hairs over this.

FWIW, I myself think it's despicable; clearly wrong and well out of order.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Encouraging kids to gamble on 14:48 - Feb 7 with 1337 viewsITFC1983

Encouraging kids to gamble on 14:41 - Feb 7 by The_Romford_Blue

He's just not listening to me for some reason

That's my lot

Poll: £16m Mario Balotelli or £11m Ross McCormack or £FREE* David McGoldrick

Encouraging kids to gamble on 14:48 - Feb 7 with 1336 viewsLankHenners

Encouraging kids to gamble on 14:45 - Feb 7 by Ryorry

Oh come on Henners, he's clearly said several times that he thinks it's wrong; I don't see the need to split hairs over this.

FWIW, I myself think it's despicable; clearly wrong and well out of order.

Fair enough, he just didn't come across that he truly understood all the ramifications of it all.

Agree with your second line.

Encouraging kids to gamble on 15:18 - Feb 7 with 1273 viewsBlueWill

Encouraging kids to gamble on 14:43 - Feb 7 by LankHenners

It's a separate issue.

"You can't say it's these 2 that are encouraging kids to gamble" Err... Yes. Yes you can.

Alright I didn't make myself all that clear, it is a separate issue but people are getting in legal trouble for stuff like that, and this that has happened with betting with virtual currency is the exact same that has happened in counter strike people would bet skins on sports and esports etc, however the legality of it all wasn't made entirely clear until recently, FUTGalaxy was setup way before the legality of everything was made public, all im saying is a lot of people are saying it's just these 2, it isn't just these 2 people there's loads of this going around and the games themselves also need to be held accountable for all this, not just these 2 people.
Encouraging kids to gamble on 15:21 - Feb 7 with 1256 viewsBlueWill

Encouraging kids to gamble on 14:41 - Feb 7 by J2BLUE

So if a kid buys a pack of Pokemon cards they are gambling because one of them might be more rare than the other...?

I didn't make myself very clear, I don't see it like that, but technically you are paying 50p and gambling that you'll get something worth more than that in the pack. Sounds stupid but it is like that. On FIFA you pay a £1 to open a pack and hope you'll pack something that'll turn in to 100,000 coins which is worth £10, on counter strike you pay £2 and hope you get something worth more than that. I don't see it as gambling but people do, and it's relatively good point.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024