Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Generation Snowflake 14:56 - Feb 10 with 5296 viewsMaySixth

heard this at the weekend for the first time and totally get it :

Generation Snowflake, or Snowflake Generation, is a term used to characterise young adults of the 2010s as being more prone to taking offence and less resilient than previous generations, or too emotionally vulnerable to cope with views that challenge their own.

someone in the lift today at work was saying that a colleague had rung in to take Wed, Thu and Fri off this week as had failed to take Vitamin C on Tuesday

lifters

Poll: Ladapo or Hirst to start up front against Peterborough?

Generation Snowflake on 14:15 - Feb 11 with 751 viewsKievthegreat

Generation Snowflake on 09:16 - Feb 11 by FrowsyArmLarry

So if you end up with a job in television an arts qualification might be valid?

Potentially? I don't know much about creative stuff. I'm an engineer and I use my Aerospace Engineering degree to work in the automotive industry (having already worked in aerospace), my wife studied Pyschology and uses her degree to work with young offenders and try to reduce reoffending (technically didn't NEED it, but it sure as hell helped get the job and helps her do it). I imagine degrees for televsion will be similar to my wife's situation, not essential, but beneficial to get in the door.

Then again I know people who studied music technology, one of them got a job working for the BBC in his field, another is a Storeroom manager at Argos. The degree isn't the issue, it's the people invariably.
Generation Snowflake on 14:26 - Feb 11 with 733 viewsWonky

Generation shafted more like. Can't buy a house, save like crazy for pension, four figure car insurance. People loved their house prices going up and now their grandchildren can't afford a house, now they notice.

As for this WW2 nonsense, if it started today me, you and generation snowflake would be queuing up to enlist. That generation did well, but it doesn't make them special.
Generation Snowflake on 14:38 - Feb 11 with 716 viewssparks

Generation Snowflake on 14:26 - Feb 11 by Wonky

Generation shafted more like. Can't buy a house, save like crazy for pension, four figure car insurance. People loved their house prices going up and now their grandchildren can't afford a house, now they notice.

As for this WW2 nonsense, if it started today me, you and generation snowflake would be queuing up to enlist. That generation did well, but it doesn't make them special.

I very much doubt we would fare so well in the WW2 equivalent today. People are not fit, self sufficient, dignified, resolute or comitted to their communities as they were then imo. There are far tougher nations out their in terms of national psyche these days.

On the wider issue though, as usual, there is validity in both points of view- and anyone adhering robustly and exclusively to one side is simply misguided or blinkered.

Yes- there are instances of people using the term or the concept of "special snowflakes" to insult and shut down people who take reasonable positions. Just because we used to put up with a certain idea or behaviour, doesn't mean we still should- or that anyone objecting is somehow feeble and entitled...

However, there is an entitled generation which is problematic. People's first resort these days appears to be to their "rights" whether they have them in the circumstances or not. People who believe they have an entitlement to certain things. People who are actively looking to take offence on behalf of others, and to shut down opinions they don't like without any sort of rational consideration, by shouting "racist / mysognist / islamaphobe" etc at anyone who says something (or even seeks to discuss something) which is not part of their received liberal doctrine.

Ironically, the latter issues actually fuel the support for the Trumps of this world, as people have been pointing out to no avail for many years now. Gordon Brown and Bigotgate being a nice expression of the issue. If people perceive that they cannot discuss "X" without being acccused of being some sort of bigot or lowlife, then they will be attracted to racist idiots like trump who come out and say "Hey, its going to be different- we're going to say what we want and to hell with everyone else".

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Generation Snowflake on 15:36 - Feb 11 with 680 viewsWonky

Generation Snowflake on 14:38 - Feb 11 by sparks

I very much doubt we would fare so well in the WW2 equivalent today. People are not fit, self sufficient, dignified, resolute or comitted to their communities as they were then imo. There are far tougher nations out their in terms of national psyche these days.

On the wider issue though, as usual, there is validity in both points of view- and anyone adhering robustly and exclusively to one side is simply misguided or blinkered.

Yes- there are instances of people using the term or the concept of "special snowflakes" to insult and shut down people who take reasonable positions. Just because we used to put up with a certain idea or behaviour, doesn't mean we still should- or that anyone objecting is somehow feeble and entitled...

However, there is an entitled generation which is problematic. People's first resort these days appears to be to their "rights" whether they have them in the circumstances or not. People who believe they have an entitlement to certain things. People who are actively looking to take offence on behalf of others, and to shut down opinions they don't like without any sort of rational consideration, by shouting "racist / mysognist / islamaphobe" etc at anyone who says something (or even seeks to discuss something) which is not part of their received liberal doctrine.

Ironically, the latter issues actually fuel the support for the Trumps of this world, as people have been pointing out to no avail for many years now. Gordon Brown and Bigotgate being a nice expression of the issue. If people perceive that they cannot discuss "X" without being acccused of being some sort of bigot or lowlife, then they will be attracted to racist idiots like trump who come out and say "Hey, its going to be different- we're going to say what we want and to hell with everyone else".

A lazy pigeonholing label.See also, Generation X, Baby boomers etc etc..

Its just 'young people today (insert criticism here)', really no more or less.

Your point on Trump is valid, the Democrats were complaicent, and picking Hillary was a mistake. But that's a different argument.
[Post edited 11 Feb 2017 15:38]
Generation Snowflake on 16:06 - Feb 11 with 646 viewsvilanovablue

If racism, homophobia, religious intolerance and casual sexisim makes me a snowflake then I'll take that!
Generation Snowflake on 16:06 - Feb 11 with 641 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Generation Snowflake on 19:09 - Feb 10 by Swansea_Blue

What do we call the generation who can't post pictures properly?

Get in !!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Generation Snowflake on 16:12 - Feb 11 with 626 viewsLord_Lucan

The Snowflake test is to look at them and ask yourself "How would they have fared at West Ham away in the 70's / 80's.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024