Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Marcus Evans 17:53 - May 29 with 7517 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Hope you're watching Huddersfield.

Get your home ground full (ticket prices!!), and invest a moderate amount and you can get promoted without parachute payments.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Marcus Evans on 10:02 - May 30 with 1438 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans on 08:21 - May 30 by Northern_Blue81

It was a risk on paper, but, they were confident and had confidence in their structure, manager and coaches.

Does ME have any confidence in MM as a coach and manager to play our way out of the division?

His continued employment suggests he has. Think the feeling has been that he has had overconfidence in MM, that he can continue to get Town punching above their weight as he did in previous seasons despite a low budget when compared to most of the division.
Marcus Evans on 10:06 - May 30 with 1433 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans on 23:26 - May 29 by christiand

Cheers Phil, you must feel you repeat yourself to me regarding season ticket sales, but appreciate your input. I just can't help myself when there is a thread that pushes the right buttons. I'm just climbing down from my soap-box now, you'll be pleased to read.

No problem. I think the club are aware - and those working day to day including Ian Milne were aware before season ticket prices were announced - that they have to be more creative with ticketing and that the situation as it was impacting on attendances. Unfortunately, ME wanted the 1.5 per cent increase - basically to help cover increased overheads - that had become the norm in previous summers.
Marcus Evans on 10:15 - May 30 with 1415 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans on 20:32 - May 29 by Marshalls_Mullet

Sounds a very complacent approach to me, in this era you can't rely on being the only club in the area to sell tickets. People have so many other choices of how to spend time.

No club gets promoted without a gamble of some sort. We gambled on a club record signing of Marcus Stewart when we got promoted, the board could have to Burley to make do with free scoring Johnno.

I take the point and Town obviously have to do more to entice fans into the ground than they have previously but I think it's a fair argument to say Huddersfield were more in need of an alternative approach in terms of getting fans in.

As I say, Town's position has changed to some extent over the last season, although you would guess some factors in that - MM's continued management, lack of on-field success and/or entertainment - might be temporary and a manager who fans have more regard for, an improved season and a bit more style might see plenty return.

Not sure Stewart was a gamble as such. There was money in the bank from the sale of Dyer the previous summer.
Marcus Evans on 10:20 - May 30 with 1409 viewsrosseden

Marcus Evans on 19:17 - May 29 by PhilTWTD

In terms of investment Huddersfield's has been rather less than ours, which makes their achievement all the more remarkable. Under £12m wage bill (reportedly) to our £17.5m this season. They're probably in the bottom two or three in the division wages-wise.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/football/news/owner-chairman-dean-hoyle-pumped-3

Poll: can the majority of twtd users count?
Blog: [Blog] To Deal or Not to Deal, That is the Question?

Marcus Evans on 10:29 - May 30 with 1392 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans on 10:20 - May 30 by rosseden

http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/football/news/owner-chairman-dean-hoyle-pumped-3

Similar losses to us, probably lower than ours over that period, while having a wage bill which would have been a fair bit less.
Marcus Evans on 10:36 - May 30 with 1381 viewsrosseden

Marcus Evans on 10:29 - May 30 by PhilTWTD

Similar losses to us, probably lower than ours over that period, while having a wage bill which would have been a fair bit less.

yeah, and they had the rugby team playing out of the same ground, sweating that asset, amongst other things. The interesting bit for me in that is the way that numbers dont actually change when he drops the price. Likely it will do next year as the opposition makes it more appealing to many.

Also, theyre positions prior to this season, and the fact its Wagners first full year there, someone who had only previously managed a 2nd team. I think its fairly safe to say the stars aligned for them to do what they did. Not dissimilar to the Leicester story last season actually.....

this is the telling bit for me......
With season-card sales down 3% and gates down 6%, Town would be in a sorry state were it not for the financial commitment of owner-chairman Hoyle, and Town are expected to lose another £6m this year (2014-15).

What was worrying for the club was that walk-up income at the gates, from fans who don’t have season-cards, fell by 15%. Average cost of each ticket sold was under £10 (£9.31 not including VAT), reflecting the season-card cost at Town and the numbers of pensioners and children buying tickets in the overall total. There were 9,258 season-card holders last season compared with 8,952 the previous year, but 20% of them don’t attend at every match (because it’t cheap enough to miss).

[Post edited 30 May 2017 10:40]

Poll: can the majority of twtd users count?
Blog: [Blog] To Deal or Not to Deal, That is the Question?

Marcus Evans on 13:26 - May 30 with 1334 viewstractorboy1978

Marcus Evans on 22:33 - May 29 by PhilTWTD

The impact of increasing season tickets was predicted by plenty of people at the club, indeed I know the thinking from those at the club on a day to day basis was that there should be a reduction. However, ME overruled them. From what I gather he now accepts that was wrong.

There were some more forward-thinking initiatives in the pricing, the introduction of the under-23s ticket due to the drop-off in that age group was a positive, but that sort of thing was rather drowned by the wider increase, the mishandled the restructuring of senior citizens tickets and overlooking mature students.

Think they plan to comment on season ticket sales when when they announce matchday ticketing - I'm told good news which I take to be a reduction - and the more flexible initiatives Ian Milne mentioned on Life's a Pitch at the end of the season, when he accepted the expectation that numbers would be down to below 10,000, incidentally. They've been having meetings on that front and was told the other day confirmation not far off.

This post has been edited by an administrator

An improvement re walk up sales needed to be accompanied by a similar approach towards ST's though. These initiatives cannot irk those that renewed. Surely the aim should be to make ST's more attractive than not committing and turning up to a handpicked selection of games?
Marcus Evans on 17:32 - May 30 with 1312 viewsArgyle_blue

Marcus Evans on 08:37 - May 30 by itfcjoe

But there is a plan that has been clearly set out and is being followed in the most part - it's just whether that will ultimately be succesful that is a bigger question which I have my doubts about
[Post edited 30 May 2017 8:55]

I'm assuming you mean the so-called 5 point plan. Not really a plan though is it? Just a number of vague statements about how the club will be run with suitably ambiguous adjectives like 'competitive'. I hesitate to go back to it but it's not like the 5 year sheepshanks plan that everyone bought into. And we really haven't got the right manager for the attractive football. Writing down 5 vague statements isn't the same as having a plan.
Login to get fewer ads

Marcus Evans on 17:50 - May 30 with 1305 viewsPhilTWTD

Marcus Evans on 13:26 - May 30 by tractorboy1978

An improvement re walk up sales needed to be accompanied by a similar approach towards ST's though. These initiatives cannot irk those that renewed. Surely the aim should be to make ST's more attractive than not committing and turning up to a handpicked selection of games?

It's a difficult balance, isn't it? On the one hand they need to avoid putting people off getting season tickets but at the same time if there is a clamour for more flexibility on other tickets they've got to offer it.

Obviously, not introducing the latter until they know where they are with the former helps and in this case - where they're aware they've mishandled season ticket pricing - it gives them an opportunity to try to woo people back.

Similarly, reducing matchday prices will help get people back in, particularly if results improve. Think that's something they should have done years ago, matchday prices have been far too high in relation to season tickets since we were in the Premier League.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024