Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Satellite Broadband 07:27 - Jun 13 with 2408 viewsmediamatt

Just about to move to a place that is fairly rural with very poor speeds so am thinking about satellite.
Anyone using this? I'm guessing it's more expensive?
Satellite Broadband on 07:31 - Jun 13 with 2400 viewswkj

Usually Sat BB has data limits on them be sure to investigate this fully before signing up as so much data is used without us even knowing it is shocking, When I lived in Stradbroke I stuck with an ASDL provider so I could seemlessly switch to Fibre when they come into the area - yes some times it was a horrible experience trying to watch streamed media - but I just learned to let the media load (by hitting pause) then coming back to it later after making a cuppa or what not
[Post edited 13 Jun 2017 7:35]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Satellite Broadband on 07:44 - Jun 13 with 2367 viewsmediamatt

Satellite Broadband on 07:31 - Jun 13 by wkj

Usually Sat BB has data limits on them be sure to investigate this fully before signing up as so much data is used without us even knowing it is shocking, When I lived in Stradbroke I stuck with an ASDL provider so I could seemlessly switch to Fibre when they come into the area - yes some times it was a horrible experience trying to watch streamed media - but I just learned to let the media load (by hitting pause) then coming back to it later after making a cuppa or what not
[Post edited 13 Jun 2017 7:35]

Thanks for this. I hadn't even considered data limits. There's multiple devices and an Xbox in regular use so I'm sure we are chewing through data!
Satellite Broadband on 07:53 - Jun 13 with 2352 viewsSteve_M

A friend of mine is fairly rural in Yorkshire so has satellite broadband. It's pretty slow but, obviously, better than nothing.

The other problem with it is that they don't have a fixed IP address so it's quite hard, if not impossible, to log into secure sites which was going to be an issue for their kids as the schools require parents to access the council website apparently.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Satellite Broadband on 08:25 - Jun 13 with 2337 viewsRimmersBrace

Check out sharedband before you go down the satallite route. Works really well. I have three lines bonded together using this. I would be wary of using satellite. Large latency.
Satellite Broadband on 13:19 - Jun 13 with 2253 viewswkj

Satellite Broadband on 08:25 - Jun 13 by RimmersBrace

Check out sharedband before you go down the satallite route. Works really well. I have three lines bonded together using this. I would be wary of using satellite. Large latency.

How much does this cost you and how much speed do you get if I may ask? I looked into this3 or 4 years ago when I lived on the dock with no fast broadband and the prices just seemed to the moon

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Satellite Broadband on 16:08 - Jun 13 with 2200 viewsRyorry

Try Boundless Networks (formerly LN communications/I Love Broadband) - they have several areas around Yorkshire with line of sight masts for Local Area Networks - I'm a satisfied customer, on the standard Family option for £19.99/month which is enough for iPlayer watching, but a higher speed option is available for a bit more. Very good customer service, recommended.

http://www.boundlessnetworks.co.uk/

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Satellite Broadband on 17:16 - Jun 13 with 2168 viewsLuk38644

Yes, we use satellite broadband and it's been a huge success.

We live about 15minutes from a decent sized Town so our copper cable/phone line connection speeds are awful, I think we were getting just under 1MB with BT and they still haven't upgraded it.

We contacted County Broadband nearly 4 years ago and we've had no problems since using them. They are very prominent around Suffolk Coastal and we had such success with them that, around 2 years ago, we agreed they could use our mast to transmit the broadband to other villagers and we currently have 30 other villagers on the system.

We get 16MB 24/7 and we do have a data limit but, depending on how many people live in your house, it's quite hard to go over those limits.
Satellite Broadband on 19:47 - Jun 13 with 2129 viewsmediamatt

Satellite Broadband on 17:16 - Jun 13 by Luk38644

Yes, we use satellite broadband and it's been a huge success.

We live about 15minutes from a decent sized Town so our copper cable/phone line connection speeds are awful, I think we were getting just under 1MB with BT and they still haven't upgraded it.

We contacted County Broadband nearly 4 years ago and we've had no problems since using them. They are very prominent around Suffolk Coastal and we had such success with them that, around 2 years ago, we agreed they could use our mast to transmit the broadband to other villagers and we currently have 30 other villagers on the system.

We get 16MB 24/7 and we do have a data limit but, depending on how many people live in your house, it's quite hard to go over those limits.

Cheers for this. I'm moving to just outside Burnham on Crouch so will see if they cover here.
Login to get fewer ads

Satellite Broadband on 20:47 - Jun 13 with 2113 viewsRimmersBrace

Satellite Broadband on 13:19 - Jun 13 by wkj

How much does this cost you and how much speed do you get if I may ask? I looked into this3 or 4 years ago when I lived on the dock with no fast broadband and the prices just seemed to the moon

Just checked and my 3 lines give currently give me 2.5, 1.7 and 1.2. I normally get between 5 and 6 downspeed. The service is very resilient, so if one of the lines goes down I don't notice.

Before I had shared band my service was very slow but also very unreliable. I can now work from home quite easily. Kids watch netfix etc without much of an issue.

It costs me £20 per month per line (although if you do below 30GB per month it would cost only £10 per month per line.) So that's £60 per month for me.

There were some initial set-up costs. All the details here http://sharedband.com/ - incidentally they are a local firm.

Then you have to pay the cost of each line to your broadband provider.

I'd be interested to know what satellite is like. My neighbour had that and said it was very laggy.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024