Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Nuke North Korea now: It's the only option" 16:15 - Sep 7 with 10734 viewsgiant_stow

terrifying: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/nuke-north-korea-now-its-the-only-option/artic

I read the south believes the north will launch another missile on saturday - any chance of it having a nuke on it?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

(No subject) on 13:38 - Sep 9 with 628 viewscaught-in-limbo

(No subject) on 09:36 - Sep 9 by lowhouseblue

having flicked through articles on the first page of that website (i don't know why) i would say that they are generally impressively and consistently independent of all evidence. they are just assertions and opinion pieces by people who really don't like the US. there's an absence of evidence but no absence of agenda.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2017 9:37]

Perhaps you could provide some evidence to support that claim. In my experience, articles written by Parry and Polk tend to be much better referenced than anything you'd read in the online versions of any of the UK or US press.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

(No subject) on 15:16 - Sep 9 with 604 viewscaught-in-limbo

(No subject) on 09:14 - Sep 9 by StokieBlue

A few points to consider here:

1) I never mentioned that website specifically, I mentioned the need for independent journalist to focus on tail events in order to get readers - this holds true across other sites and media in my opinion.

2) That website does have advertising for books down the right written by the same people and also has a a donations page. Not bombarding people with advertising I agree but aiming to sell the same type of stuff in book form. In fact one of the books being sold is a conspiracy theory book - surely the definition of a tail risk event?

3) I assume you understand the concept of tail risk? They have taken the far right side of the bell curve which is the most implausible scenario and then written an article around it without any actual evidence. The entire article is hearsay, there is nothing pointing to the fact Erdogan will do any of this. In fact it reads more like a plot from a 1990's Tom Clancy thriller.

Hope that helps.

SB
[Post edited 9 Sep 2017 9:17]

"They have taken the far right side of the bell curve which is the most implausible scenario and then written an article around it without any actual evidence. The entire article is hearsay, there is nothing pointing to the fact Erdogan will do any of this."

What evidence do you want? A hilarious Osama bin Laden style video of Erdogan himself chuckling away and rubbing his hands together in a sinister way while watching the episode where Wiley Coyote sneaks up behind the RoadRunner and nicks his TNT? Or perhaps a letter to Kim Rong'un asking if he'd be interested in some NATO nukes for Christmas?

Turkey, especially under Erdogan, is well-known for its duplicity. Both the US and Russia would rather have Turkey as an unreliable friend than an out and out enemy. Obviously, Turkey knows this and plays the role continually and much to its own economic advantage.

Additionally, contrary to what you claim, the article does give examples of others (one of whom is unnamed so doesn't count for too much) who have recently expressed their own concerns about the safety of NATO's nukes in Erdogan's hands at the moment.

Finally, I've not heard of "tail risk" in any context outside investment but the idea that mainstream news wouldn't (shouldn't) report such an evidence free story suggests you completely slept through the lead up to the invasion of Iraq in 2003 and have been asleep pretty much ever since.

EDIT: COYB
[Post edited 9 Sep 2017 22:54]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024