Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why I'm still Mick In (Just) 22:54 - Oct 28 with 3069 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

For me, it's basic economics.* Taking all emotion out of it, let's say that each new manager starts with a positive 'currency' with the fans of say +50.

In his first season, steering us well clear from relegation and making us hard to beat after the shambles of Jewell (I really thought we were done for), his 'currency increased markedly (e.g. now +150).

2nd season consolidates and seems to be building a side in his image - maybe a small increase (now +180)

3rd season - play-offs despite limited budget and no real investment in January. Currency increased greatly - now +280?)

4th season - slightly disappointing 7th but not disastrous. not great football so maybe a slight loss in currency (250).

last year - horrific. turgid football, lowest finish. loss of Murphy might lessen the decrease a bit but back down to +100ish (right down from 250)

this year - decent start, some good games and some dire. overall, slight loss (+80)

so, for me, he still has some currency left in the bank. if come the end of the season that has gone, I agree that change should be made.

not sure how clear this analogy is, but this is how I see his time here.

*everybody will have different views on what adds/loses 'currency' so people will have different opinions on how much credit he has in the bank. (comments like today's post-match might be enough to lose credit for some fans).
Why I'm still Mick In (Just) on 08:32 - Oct 29 with 2910 viewsPendejo

2nd & 3rd seasons were ultimately ruined by McG getting injured. I firmly believe that in the play off season it was the difference between scraping into play offs or scraping into 2nd place.

HOWEVER

Freddie Sears came in and did rather well that season... so who knows.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Why I'm still Mick In (Just) on 09:12 - Oct 29 with 2870 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Why I'm still Mick In (Just) on 08:32 - Oct 29 by Pendejo

2nd & 3rd seasons were ultimately ruined by McG getting injured. I firmly believe that in the play off season it was the difference between scraping into play offs or scraping into 2nd place.

HOWEVER

exactly, and I completely understand why many people want Mick gone - their balance of positive/ negative credit earned and lost will be different to mine. For lots of people, his positive credit will have all been lost. (and for truce it's still around +1000).

I think it's sad that so many people though have got to the stage where they have become so mired in their stance and are so anti-Mick, they have lost all ability to make considered judgements on events and individual results.

Barring an unforeseen season this year, I think it is time to part ways in July but i hope when the dust settles people will be able to look back at the majority of Micks time here with thanks for getting us out of that awful Keane/Jewell-shaped hole.
Why I'm still Mick In (Just) on 09:24 - Oct 29 with 2848 viewsCoco

I appreciate your view and what Mick has done here

But

It’s the horrible approach to the beautiful game that i cannot bear. I never wanted Micks brand of football at my club but ME’s awful running of it, it was deemed necessary. Win, lose or draw im consistent in disliking what I’ve seen. I support 100% during games i might add.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

Why I'm still Mick In (Just) on 09:33 - Oct 29 with 2822 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Why I'm still Mick In (Just) on 09:24 - Oct 29 by Coco

But

It’s the horrible approach to the beautiful game that i cannot bear. I never wanted Micks brand of football at my club but ME’s awful running of it, it was deemed necessary. Win, lose or draw im consistent in disliking what I’ve seen. I support 100% during games i might add.

agreed, some of the games in the last few seasons have been very hard watching. therefore, he loses a great deal of currency on that basis.

tempering it slightly, I would argue that he is hamstrung by a variety of factors: budget, the sale of murph, injuries to key players (I know all clubs get them, but losing didz, Fraser, Webster, Huws etc for long periods clearly affected performance). therefore, his credit does not run dry so quickly (for me).

I understand why people want him gone (and not 'bed-wetters'); likewise I don't think people who think he has earned more time are 'happy-clappers'. purely different interpretations of economy!!
Why I'm still Mick In (Just) on 09:36 - Oct 29 with 2813 viewsBackToRussia

Yes, one of the main reasons I follow Ipswich completely irrationally over many years is so I can apply economic theory to an emotionless situation.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Why I'm still Mick In (Just) on 10:16 - Oct 29 with 2785 viewsunstableblue

Why I'm still Mick In (Just) on 09:24 - Oct 29 by Coco

But

Hear hear

What the original posters 'scoring system' fails to recognise is that 1000s of Town fans were already getting concerned even in the play-off season!!

There were already many questionable performances even though it was deemed a great season.

The quality of his football is poor. That is the underlying, now unquestionable, fact.

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Why I'm still Mick In (Just) on 10:25 - Oct 29 with 2759 viewsDyland

He's done a decent enough job if one looks at it objectively.

But we desperately need a fresh approach to the coaching and management here, top to bottom.

It could be disastrous him walking during this season. Evans and Milne need to plan properly for next summer.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Why I'm still Mick In (Just) on 12:47 - Oct 29 with 2663 viewsjas0999

Why I'm still Mick In (Just) on 08:32 - Oct 29 by Pendejo

HOWEVER

... and a lack of investment from Evans. In the playoff season a very modest investment would have seen us challenging top two in my opinion.
Login to get fewer ads

Why I'm still Mick In (Just) on 12:50 - Oct 29 with 2659 viewshowdonblue

IM PLEASED FOR YOU !

Mcarthy out
Evans out
Academy staff in
Why I'm still Mick In (Just) on 21:56 - Oct 29 with 2519 viewsCurrie10

I'm very much Mick in, we're sitting well despite a ridiculous injury list. FINALLY been able to play the same defence back to back games for heavens sake. Seem to have settled on a back 4!

Think he's recruited far better than anyone else had they come in given budget. Issue being, style of footy and perhaps at times not picking players in correct positions.

Hopefully Adeyemi back for PNE!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024