Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
07:20 - Nov 8 with 14312 views_

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 07:55 - Nov 8 with 6814 viewsGuthrum

It's a particularly tricky area for those countries who both fought in the Empire's wars and, at the same time, conducted independence struggles. WW2 veterans in India had similar problems, receiving less respect in official quarters than those who had fought alongside the Japanese and Nazis with Chandra Bose's "Indian National Army".

All of the Irish men who fought in the First World War were volunteers, conscription was never introduced in the island.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

on 08:36 - Nov 8 with 6777 views_

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 07:55 - Nov 8 by Guthrum

It's a particularly tricky area for those countries who both fought in the Empire's wars and, at the same time, conducted independence struggles. WW2 veterans in India had similar problems, receiving less respect in official quarters than those who had fought alongside the Japanese and Nazis with Chandra Bose's "Indian National Army".

All of the Irish men who fought in the First World War were volunteers, conscription was never introduced in the island.

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 08:41 - Nov 8 with 6779 viewsfactual_blue

on 08:36 - Nov 8 by _

YOU HAVE TO SHOW YOU CARE

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 08:43 - Nov 8 with 6769 viewsRadlett_blue

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 07:55 - Nov 8 by Guthrum

Why should it be "tricky"?
Surely, wearing a poppy, for whatever reason, should be an individual's choice?
That's why I find the TV companies' policy of apparently ensuring that every presenter & every guest has to wear one when being interviewed.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 08:44 - Nov 8 with 6768 viewsGuthrum

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 08:41 - Nov 8 by factual_blue

The crop maze is quite tasteful. The hat I'm not so sure about ...

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 08:51 - Nov 8 with 6752 viewsconnorscontract

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 08:44 - Nov 8 by Guthrum

Tasteful apart from the Skylark branding?
Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 08:54 - Nov 8 with 6750 viewsGuthrum

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 08:43 - Nov 8 by Radlett_blue

Why should it be "tricky"?
Surely, wearing a poppy, for whatever reason, should be an individual's choice?
That's why I find the TV companies' policy of apparently ensuring that every presenter & every guest has to wear one when being interviewed.

The wider aspect of public officials commemorating citizens who fought - and died - for a power against which their own political forbears were struggling for independence. Of recognising those who willingly joined up in a cause which is often now perceived as being against their national interest.

Elements of the Irish independence movement actually allied themselves with (even receiving weapons and other aid from) the Germans during wartime. See Roger Casement and the Aud.

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 08:55 - Nov 8 with 6744 viewsblue_oyster

A good reminder of the patriotic men who fought for their country against Germany, and also that others chose to split that country, after trying to collude with the Germans.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Login to get fewer ads

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 08:57 - Nov 8 with 6728 viewsGuthrum

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 08:51 - Nov 8 by connorscontract

Tasteful apart from the Skylark branding?

That's fair enough, IMO, being the name of the place where the maze is.

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 09:00 - Nov 8 with 6712 viewsfactual_blue

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 08:44 - Nov 8 by Guthrum

You have a point. I won't wear it this year.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 09:12 - Nov 8 with 6683 viewsGuthrum

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 08:55 - Nov 8 by blue_oyster

A good reminder of the patriotic men who fought for their country against Germany, and also that others chose to split that country, after trying to collude with the Germans.

A good reminder that patriotism is a very personal and subjective thing. For an Irish patriot at the time, who was the real enemy?

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 09:25 - Nov 8 with 6655 viewsBlueBadger

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 08:41 - Nov 8 by factual_blue

I saw those, and thought of this.
http://newsthump.com/2017/11/04/man-who-spent-all-year-mocking-virtue-signallers

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 09:28 - Nov 8 with 6643 viewsRadlett_blue

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 08:54 - Nov 8 by Guthrum

The wider aspect of public officials commemorating citizens who fought - and died - for a power against which their own political forbears were struggling for independence. Of recognising those who willingly joined up in a cause which is often now perceived as being against their national interest.

Elements of the Irish independence movement actually allied themselves with (even receiving weapons and other aid from) the Germans during wartime. See Roger Casement and the Aud.

Fair enough - not hard to see how it's awkward for Irish politicians.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 09:54 - Nov 8 with 6597 viewsBlue_Order

See him blasting out his IRA tunes in West Brom's gym the other week?
Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 09:56 - Nov 8 with 6592 viewssoupytwist

This genuinely seems odd - https://order-order.com/2017/11/07/quentin-lets-bbc-take-poppy/

No one on the show was wearing a poppy. I wonder what the reason is? Could it be to remove any indication of the time of year it was filmed and therefore make it easier to repeat at any time of year on Dave?
Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 09:58 - Nov 8 with 6586 viewsWD19

We shouldn't let any debate about poppies once a year obscure the wider point that James McClean is a prize bell all year round.
on 09:59 - Nov 8 with 6584 views_

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 09:54 - Nov 8 by Blue_Order

See him blasting out his IRA tunes in West Brom's gym the other week?

on 10:02 - Nov 8 with 6571 views_

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 09:58 - Nov 8 by WD19

We shouldn't let any debate about poppies once a year obscure the wider point that James McClean is a prize bell all year round.

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 10:04 - Nov 8 with 6562 viewsBlueLikeJazz

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 09:56 - Nov 8 by soupytwist

This genuinely seems odd - https://order-order.com/2017/11/07/quentin-lets-bbc-take-poppy/

No one on the show was wearing a poppy. I wonder what the reason is? Could it be to remove any indication of the time of year it was filmed and therefore make it easier to repeat at any time of year on Dave?

To be honest I'm less bothered by that than the fact that Quentin Letts is a thundering c*ckbadger of truly epic proportions....
Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 10:04 - Nov 8 with 6564 viewsBlueBadger

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 09:56 - Nov 8 by soupytwist

Or, you know possibly because the British Legion's official campaign didn't launch until the next day and the Beeb had been asked or didn't want to tread on any toes.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2017 10:13]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 10:05 - Nov 8 with 6557 viewsBlueBadger

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 10:04 - Nov 8 by BlueLikeJazz

To be honest I'm less bothered by that than the fact that Quentin Letts is a thundering c*ckbadger of truly epic proportions....

And we're back to this again.
http://newsthump.com/2017/11/04/man-who-spent-all-year-mocking-virtue-signallers
[Post edited 8 Nov 2017 10:10]

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 10:10 - Nov 8 with 6545 viewsBlueBadger

on 09:59 - Nov 8 by _

The only reference I can find to anything like that is this, from four years ago.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/james-mcclean-hits-w

on 10:13 - Nov 8 with 6535 views_

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 10:10 - Nov 8 by BlueBadger

The only reference I can find to anything like that is this, from four years ago.
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/james-mcclean-hits-w

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 10:15 - Nov 8 with 6526 viewssoupytwist

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 10:04 - Nov 8 by BlueBadger

Or, you know possibly because the British Legion's official campaign didn't launch until the next day and the Beeb had been asked or didn't want to tread on any toes.
[Post edited 8 Nov 2017 10:13]

I don't think that's the reason since people on other BBC shows had been wearing them for about a week.

I think that the BBC doesn't help itself sometimes. If there is a reason, tell it. If there isn't let him wear it.
Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 10:16 - Nov 8 with 6524 viewsblue_oyster

Poppy watch, the mood is tense... on 09:12 - Nov 8 by Guthrum

A good reminder that patriotism is a very personal and subjective thing. For an Irish patriot at the time, who was the real enemy?

Hmmm, Britain or Germany in WW1. Tough choice, eh?

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024