Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Capitalism working like a dream 09:12 - Nov 9 with 4879 viewsgiant_stow

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/nov/08/bill-gates-jeff-bezos-warren-bu

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Capitalism working like a dream on 09:20 - Nov 9 with 4858 viewsGuthrum

The problem I have with these bald figures is that they're simply based on a notional valuation of large businesses. That kind of wealth is not possible to realise in any meaningful sense.

If Bezos et al dumped their entire shareholdings on the market, the prices would instantly crash.

It's also more money than you can conceivably spend on yourself, which is why the likes of Gates have huge charitable foundations to give the stuff away on an industrial scale.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Capitalism working like a dream on 09:27 - Nov 9 with 4845 viewsgiant_stow

Capitalism working like a dream on 09:20 - Nov 9 by Guthrum

The problem I have with these bald figures is that they're simply based on a notional valuation of large businesses. That kind of wealth is not possible to realise in any meaningful sense.

If Bezos et al dumped their entire shareholdings on the market, the prices would instantly crash.

It's also more money than you can conceivably spend on yourself, which is why the likes of Gates have huge charitable foundations to give the stuff away on an industrial scale.

They may be bald figures, but very stark and illustrative of a big problem in society.

I'd say your points on the wealth being tied up in company valuations and even when realised, being given away are red herrings mho. The problem is control and distribution of finite resources. When 3 people control as much wealth as 160m, it looks more than a little feudal and I remember learning about those times aghast in primary school, wondering how such a world could have ever existed.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Capitalism working like a dream on 09:33 - Nov 9 with 4822 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Capitalism working like a dream on 09:27 - Nov 9 by giant_stow

They may be bald figures, but very stark and illustrative of a big problem in society.

I'd say your points on the wealth being tied up in company valuations and even when realised, being given away are red herrings mho. The problem is control and distribution of finite resources. When 3 people control as much wealth as 160m, it looks more than a little feudal and I remember learning about those times aghast in primary school, wondering how such a world could have ever existed.

You may have seen this already but you may find the historic parallels interesting if not.....
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/nov/08/uk-fairer-share-wealth-anc

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Capitalism working like a dream on 09:36 - Nov 9 with 4820 viewsgiant_stow

Capitalism working like a dream on 09:33 - Nov 9 by BanksterDebtSlave

You may have seen this already but you may find the historic parallels interesting if not.....
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/nov/08/uk-fairer-share-wealth-anc

Nope hasn't seen that - saved for reading on the tube in a sec - ta.

Capitalism working like a dream on 09:38 - Nov 9 with 4816 viewsblue_oyster

Maximum Guardian. An article quoting numbers of which it doesn't understand, so stuffs in equality and implied racism to flesh it out.

Conventional wisdom is the enemy of thought.
Poll: Who is the most hated contributor to this site?

Capitalism working like a dream on 09:44 - Nov 9 with 4808 viewschicoazul

Google and Facebook are starting to build homes for their employees now. Feudalism is alive and well my brother.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Capitalism working like a dream on 09:48 - Nov 9 with 4802 viewsGuthrum

The world has never been any different, since the beginning of human society. Successful leaders take ownership of large chunks of resources - be it land, money, political power, or whatever - and everybody else works for them.

The problem comes with the breakdown of the social contract, which is that in exchange for giving service to these leaders, they have a duty to provide for and protect their followers. This was a strong principle, enshrined in law, during the Middle Ages.

Interesting article from the other day: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/nov/08/uk-fairer-share-wealth-anc

Capitalism working like a dream on 09:48 - Nov 9 with 4800 viewsStokieBlue

Surely the pinnacle of the American dream given none of them inherited the money? Two of them have also pledged to give away 99.9% of their fortune to the Bill and Melinda Gates charity (not sure on Bezos).

Their wealth is also a long way behind the craziness of the 1800's - Rockefeller and Carnegie both had more than x4 as much as Gates in inflation adjusted fortunes (both over 450bn USD).

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

Capitalism working like a dream on 09:48 - Nov 9 with 4793 viewsGuthrum

Capitalism working like a dream on 09:33 - Nov 9 by BanksterDebtSlave

Aha, you got there first with posting that article!

Capitalism working like a dream on 09:58 - Nov 9 with 4770 viewshomer_123

Capitalism working like a dream on 09:48 - Nov 9 by StokieBlue

Surely the pinnacle of the American dream given none of them inherited the money? Two of them have also pledged to give away 99.9% of their fortune to the Bill and Melinda Gates charity (not sure on Bezos).

Their wealth is also a long way behind the craziness of the 1800's - Rockefeller and Carnegie both had more than x4 as much as Gates in inflation adjusted fortunes (both over 450bn USD).

SB

There was a very interesting programme about the Bill and Melinda Foundation and what it's trying to do in terms eradicating illnesses and diseases such as Polio et al.

What was fascinating was the foundation isn't blind to the issues or rather implications of eradicating illness and disease and also increasing life longevity and the consequences on both individuals and society as a whole.

Was impressed with their approach and the work they are doing.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Capitalism working like a dream on 10:00 - Nov 9 with 4759 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Capitalism working like a dream on 09:48 - Nov 9 by Guthrum

Aha, you got there first with posting that article!

Glad you liked it.....I may pinch some if it as I flesh out my manifesto !

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Capitalism working like a dream on 10:42 - Nov 9 with 4719 viewsgiant_stow

Capitalism working like a dream on 09:38 - Nov 9 by blue_oyster

Maximum Guardian. An article quoting numbers of which it doesn't understand, so stuffs in equality and implied racism to flesh it out.

Its reporting some think tank's report innit?

Capitalism working like a dream on 10:44 - Nov 9 with 4721 viewsgiant_stow

Capitalism working like a dream on 09:48 - Nov 9 by Guthrum

The world has never been any different, since the beginning of human society. Successful leaders take ownership of large chunks of resources - be it land, money, political power, or whatever - and everybody else works for them.

The problem comes with the breakdown of the social contract, which is that in exchange for giving service to these leaders, they have a duty to provide for and protect their followers. This was a strong principle, enshrined in law, during the Middle Ages.

Interesting article from the other day: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/nov/08/uk-fairer-share-wealth-anc

It certainly was an interesting article, as was stokie's point about Rockafella

Capitalism working like a dream on 13:01 - Nov 9 with 4629 viewsGuthrum

Capitalism working like a dream on 10:44 - Nov 9 by giant_stow

It certainly was an interesting article, as was stokie's point about Rockafella

There was a good series of short programmes on Radio 4 last year about the "Robber Barons" of American industrial history. Don't know if you can still listen to them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b080kw3g

Capitalism working like a dream on 18:05 - Nov 9 with 4531 viewsBinner

Capitalism working like a dream on 09:48 - Nov 9 by StokieBlue

SB

Fair point.

But I'd add... I don't know about Rockefeller's benevolence but it is worth mentioning, for balance, that Carnegie did a lot of 'good works' with his fortune...

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Capitalism working like a dream (n/t) on 18:29 - Nov 9 with 4514 viewsgerard1947

Capitalism working like a dream on 18:05 - Nov 9 by Binner

Fair point.

But I'd add... I don't know about Rockefeller's benevolence but it is worth mentioning, for balance, that Carnegie did a lot of 'good works' with his fortune...

I'm sure I read somewhere that his charitable trusts continue to pay out huge sums to this day.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2017 18:32]
Capitalism working like a dream on 18:40 - Nov 9 with 4501 viewsStokieBlue

Capitalism working like a dream on 18:05 - Nov 9 by Binner

Fair point.

They both did but not until they were very old and only because they wanted to upstage each other so they got into a war on who could be the most benovolent.

Worked out well in the end, they even kind of became friends after being mortal enemies.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Capitalism working like a dream on 18:54 - Nov 9 with 4490 viewsbaxterbasics

Capitalism has indeed worked like a dream, lifting a billion of the worlds poorest out of extreme poverty over the last half century or so.

I believe at least two of those men have devoted a big wedge of their fortunes to saving and improving lives. Probably achieved a lot more than any government would have with the same amount.

We really should be celebrating wealth creators.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Capitalism working like a dream on 19:16 - Nov 9 with 4472 viewsNo9

Capitalism working like a dream on 18:54 - Nov 9 by baxterbasics

Capitalism has indeed worked like a dream, lifting a billion of the worlds poorest out of extreme poverty over the last half century or so.

I believe at least two of those men have devoted a big wedge of their fortunes to saving and improving lives. Probably achieved a lot more than any government would have with the same amount.

We really should be celebrating wealth creators.

Your knowledge of history and world events relative to what 'capitalism' has done in some countries is appalling.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024