Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? 19:53 - Jan 3 with 3227 viewsSuperfrans

I know there are a lot of people on here who are a lot more technical than me with these things, so wondered if there was any advice anyone would give.

We live in a fairly solid, Edwardian terrace, the wifi comes into the front room, which is where the router is. But close the door to the front room and the WiFi reception in the rest of the house is vastly reduced.

On New Years Eve the Sonos in the back downstairs room started to cut out and we’re about to get Hive too, which also relies on strong WiFi (it comes rolled into the British Gas package for a new boiler).

I’ve tried using Powerline plug ins, but the downstairs is on a different electrical circuit to upstairs (so doesn’t work there) and it is variable downstairs too.

I’ve seen this from BT, but just wondered whether anyone has any experience with this kind of system - or whether anyone has any advice.

https://www.shop.bt.com/learnmore/bt-branded-products-and-services/bt-whole-home

[Post edited 3 Jan 2018 19:54]

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 19:59 - Jan 3 with 3209 viewsNewcyBlue

I have a couple of these that do just the job in our home. Better WiFi where it kept dropping out.

Why Aye Fi if you like...

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 20:01 - Jan 3 with 3197 viewsSuperfrans

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 19:59 - Jan 3 by NewcyBlue

I have a couple of these that do just the job in our home. Better WiFi where it kept dropping out.

Why Aye Fi if you like...

Thanks. Couple of what, the BT system?

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 20:05 - Jan 3 with 3191 viewsSuperfrans

As if to prove the point, the WiFi literally just cut out in our back room while watching the Arse-Chelsea match, with the ball rolling along Chelsea’s goal line... Gah!

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 20:13 - Jan 3 with 3175 viewsNewcyBlue

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 20:01 - Jan 3 by Superfrans

Thanks. Couple of what, the BT system?

Oops

Belkin N300 Wall Plug Mounted Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender/Wireless Signal Booster https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KRDIEBW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_bxttAbK8S9EZC

Apologies. I forgot to post the link.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 20:32 - Jan 3 with 3127 viewsSuperfrans

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 20:13 - Jan 3 by NewcyBlue

Oops

Belkin N300 Wall Plug Mounted Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender/Wireless Signal Booster https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KRDIEBW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_bxttAbK8S9EZC

Thanks, that looks interest8ng. I’ll have a look at these.

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 20:34 - Jan 3 with 3131 viewsLord_Lucan

I had a similar problem at work.

I bought one of these and it did the trick.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00XCH0QX4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=

The electric cables act as a hard wire thingy.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 20:34 - Jan 3 with 3129 viewsBOjK

I’d start by investigating your current router. Try to find one that is more powerful (longer range).

In actual fact I’d suspect that your current router is faulty. You should be getting better performance than that. Do you know what speeds you can get over your WiFi network?

Blog: [Blog] Keep Calm and Carry on (Or Why the Club is Not in Crisis from Top to Bottom)

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 20:43 - Jan 3 with 3104 viewsDubtractor

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 20:34 - Jan 3 by BOjK

I’d start by investigating your current router. Try to find one that is more powerful (longer range).

In actual fact I’d suspect that your current router is faulty. You should be getting better performance than that. Do you know what speeds you can get over your WiFi network?

Agree with this - I'm no techy expert, but a modern router should have no issue reaching a whole house.

We're on virgin and the signal reaches from our front room to halfway down the garden - at least 50 feet, prob a bit further.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Login to get fewer ads

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 20:49 - Jan 3 with 3092 viewsSuperfrans

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 20:34 - Jan 3 by BOjK

We have a Virgin Media Hub 3.0.

I’ve just done a speed test in the front room (next to the router) and got readings of 223 mbs download, 12.16 mbs upload.

In the back room (maybe 10 metres away, but through a couple of doors/walls) and it’s 28 mbs download and 1.6 mbs upload.

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 20:57 - Jan 3 with 3060 viewsDubtractor

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 20:49 - Jan 3 by Superfrans

I’ve just done a speed test in the front room (next to the router) and got readings of 223 mbs download, 12.16 mbs upload.

In the back room (maybe 10 metres away, but through a couple of doors/walls) and it’s 28 mbs download and 1.6 mbs upload.

Are you using the 5ghz or 2.4ghz channel?

I found with the 5ghz, although it is much quicker, that it was unstable for streaming and regularly stopped. Anything now used for streaming i stick on the 2.4ghz.

When I read up about it there was some technical stuff about 5ghz not being good for streaming.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 21:01 - Jan 3 with 3050 viewsSuperfrans

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 20:57 - Jan 3 by Dubtractor

Are you using the 5ghz or 2.4ghz channel?

I found with the 5ghz, although it is much quicker, that it was unstable for streaming and regularly stopped. Anything now used for streaming i stick on the 2.4ghz.

When I read up about it there was some technical stuff about 5ghz not being good for streaming.

Probably a stupid questions - how do I know which channel I’m on?

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 21:08 - Jan 3 with 3071 viewsDubtractor

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 21:01 - Jan 3 by Superfrans

Probably a stupid questions - how do I know which channel I’m on?

Are you on a laptop?

If so just click on the wifi signal at the bottom of the screen, then click on properties for the one you're connected to. Then scroll down page till you get to the bit that says Network Band.

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 21:11 - Jan 3 with 3026 viewsSuperfrans

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 21:08 - Jan 3 by Dubtractor

Are you on a laptop?

If so just click on the wifi signal at the bottom of the screen, then click on properties for the one you're connected to. Then scroll down page till you get to the bit that says Network Band.

No, on iPad. Can’t see any reference to it.

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 21:17 - Jan 3 with 3004 viewsLord_Lucan

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 20:49 - Jan 3 by Superfrans

I had the same problem at work over the same distance and that thing I linked to sorted it.

ABB had a similar problem with a client I think (he sort of works in that field) and it was down to the walls and doors.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 21:19 - Jan 3 with 2989 viewsDubtractor

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 21:11 - Jan 3 by Superfrans

Sorry, can't help with ipad.

I'd assume that there is a settings menu where you can look at the wifi properties though?

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 21:20 - Jan 3 with 2987 viewsSuperfrans

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 21:17 - Jan 3 by Lord_Lucan

I had the same problem at work over the same distance and that thing I linked to sorted it.

ABB had a similar problem with a client I think (he sort of works in that field) and it was down to the walls and doors.

Yes, that was a Powerline solution, which works as long as you can link to sockets on the same electrical circuit. In theory that would work downstairs for me (but not upstairs, which is on a different circuit) - but even downstairs it didn’t make much difference. Maybe I had a dud set and should try again...

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 21:42 - Jan 3 with 2955 viewsJohnny_Boy

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 20:13 - Jan 3 by NewcyBlue

Oops

This worked for me in an upstairs room of a house.
Router was downstairs & signal was patchy at best.
Plugged this into the upstairs 'dead room' & I got perfect WIFI reception.
Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 22:18 - Jan 3 with 2886 viewsBurwell_Blue

Extending wi-fi reception - any advice? on 21:11 - Jan 3 by Superfrans

Ipad will be on 5Ghz

Log onto your Router and look at connected devices to check.

All the iPads in my home are on 5Ghz. If you are having problems try disabling 5Ghz on your router, the range will be better on 2.4 but the speeds lower.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024