Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact 23:56 - Feb 19 with 2806 viewsNewcyBlue

Normal navigation watch, almost 0200 here.

Suddenly see a green ball drop vertically from the sky followed by a large white flash. My lookout and cadet were both talking to each other and all they saw was the bridge light up from the flash.

I then had some odd echoes on my radar in the vicinity that the green ball dropped.

I am not going mad I swear.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:01 - Feb 20 with 2776 viewswitchdoctor

you sometimes get something like that at sunsets mate but not in early hours of the morning
Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:05 - Feb 20 with 2774 viewsNewcyBlue

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:01 - Feb 20 by witchdoctor

you sometimes get something like that at sunsets mate but not in early hours of the morning

Yeah i have seen green flash before. That’s quite a thing.

This was like nothing I have ever seen.

I have altered course to go closer and been out with my search lights on in case of an aircraft ditching. No distress calls heard though.

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:08 - Feb 20 with 2767 viewswitchdoctor

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:05 - Feb 20 by NewcyBlue

Yeah i have seen green flash before. That’s quite a thing.

This was like nothing I have ever seen.

I have altered course to go closer and been out with my search lights on in case of an aircraft ditching. No distress calls heard though.

well hopefuly it’s not anything like that mate.
Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:10 - Feb 20 with 2759 viewsStokieBlue

Meteor or USO?

Sounds like not a plane crash so that's the main thing.

SB
[Post edited 20 Feb 2018 0:10]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:17 - Feb 20 with 2752 viewsNewcyBlue

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:10 - Feb 20 by StokieBlue

Meteor or USO?

Sounds like not a plane crash so that's the main thing.

SB
[Post edited 20 Feb 2018 0:10]

Continuing with the search lights until we are past the area.

Called it in to the local coast station who asked us to monitor as we pass, but were the only thing around for 25nm.

Meteor is possible I guess.

There was a helicopter buzzing around earlier which we caught on the radar and saw the lights of.

All a bit unsettling at such an hour of the day. My cadet won’t stop asking me questions now.

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:21 - Feb 20 with 2743 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Any idea of how far off it was and therefore the size? Not that this will give me the foggiest idea what it was.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:24 - Feb 20 with 2734 viewsNewcyBlue

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:21 - Feb 20 by BanksterDebtSlave

Any idea of how far off it was and therefore the size? Not that this will give me the foggiest idea what it was.

Echo on the radar was about 8nm away.

My only other explanation is ball lightning followed by sheet lightning.

Have checked to make sure there are no military exercises going on.

All a bit odd. Shame, I almost brought up my camera to make a nightlapse but gave it a miss tonight!

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:26 - Feb 20 with 2727 viewsStokieBlue

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:17 - Feb 20 by NewcyBlue

Continuing with the search lights until we are past the area.

Called it in to the local coast station who asked us to monitor as we pass, but were the only thing around for 25nm.

Meteor is possible I guess.

There was a helicopter buzzing around earlier which we caught on the radar and saw the lights of.

All a bit unsettling at such an hour of the day. My cadet won’t stop asking me questions now.

Nickel rich meteors burn with a green colour upon entry through the atmosphere although the velocity can affect the colour somewhat.

Most logical (but I could be wrong) explanation would be a nickel rich meteor which exploded above the surface. Most meteors do this so it wouldn't be that uncommon.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:29 - Feb 20 with 2724 viewsNewcyBlue

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:26 - Feb 20 by StokieBlue

Nickel rich meteors burn with a green colour upon entry through the atmosphere although the velocity can affect the colour somewhat.

Most logical (but I could be wrong) explanation would be a nickel rich meteor which exploded above the surface. Most meteors do this so it wouldn't be that uncommon.

SB

You’re a fountain of knowledge SB! Your logic makes sense.

It was a dead straight vertical drop.

Certainly put my lookout and cadet more on edge and woken them up a bit.

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:30 - Feb 20 with 2719 viewsStokieBlue

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:24 - Feb 20 by NewcyBlue

Echo on the radar was about 8nm away.

My only other explanation is ball lightning followed by sheet lightning.

Have checked to make sure there are no military exercises going on.

All a bit odd. Shame, I almost brought up my camera to make a nightlapse but gave it a miss tonight!

Ball lightning shouldn't show up on radar should it?

Radar waves need something to bounce off so that the signal is then picked up on the return but something which is an electric charge shouldn't do that I believe? Thunderstorms are spotted on radar due to the high precipitation.

SB

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:30 - Feb 20 with 2716 viewsStokieBlue

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:29 - Feb 20 by NewcyBlue

Well it's been good for something then - got to keep those cadets on their toes!

SB

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:33 - Feb 20 with 2710 viewsNewcyBlue

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:30 - Feb 20 by StokieBlue

Well it's been good for something then - got to keep those cadets on their toes!

SB

This is a young British lad that asked me the other day if spiders were dinosaurs.....

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:37 - Feb 20 with 2704 viewsStokieBlue

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:33 - Feb 20 by NewcyBlue

This is a young British lad that asked me the other day if spiders were dinosaurs.....

I see.

Perhaps some designated reading materials would be in order for him to study on his downtime?

You could freak him out a bit by pointing out that birds are technically avian dinosaurs but it might mess with his mind a bit too much.

SB
[Post edited 20 Feb 2018 0:38]

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:40 - Feb 20 with 2694 viewsNewcyBlue

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:37 - Feb 20 by StokieBlue

I see.

Perhaps some designated reading materials would be in order for him to study on his downtime?

You could freak him out a bit by pointing out that birds are technically avian dinosaurs but it might mess with his mind a bit too much.

SB
[Post edited 20 Feb 2018 0:38]

Yeah, I think we are going to start with The Very Hungry Catepillar. Seb should be finished with it by now...

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:51 - Feb 20 with 2676 viewsNewcyBlue

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:30 - Feb 20 by StokieBlue

Ball lightning shouldn't show up on radar should it?

Radar waves need something to bounce off so that the signal is then picked up on the return but something which is an electric charge shouldn't do that I believe? Thunderstorms are spotted on radar due to the high precipitation.

SB

Yeah lightning doesn’t show up.

Low cloud shows up, as does precipitation.

The radars on these ships are cheap Japanese ones.

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 08:00 - Feb 20 with 2486 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:51 - Feb 20 by NewcyBlue

Yeah lightning doesn’t show up.

Low cloud shows up, as does precipitation.

The radars on these ships are cheap Japanese ones.

As I know you like a good weather chart Newcy.......have you seen what we're getting next week?
http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach§ion=at

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 08:26 - Feb 20 with 2447 viewsGlasgowBlue

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:33 - Feb 20 by NewcyBlue

You’ve taken Rommers on as a cadet haven’t you?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 09:55 - Feb 20 with 2370 viewsGuthrum

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 00:29 - Feb 20 by NewcyBlue

Remember about 20 years ago there was a particularly major meteor storm. The whole sky was lit up bright green that evening, with dozens of traces as they entered the atmosphere. Very "Day of the Triffids" stuff.

With what you saw, more likely it was heading pretty much straight towards (or away from) you. They don't often drop vertically downwards.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 10:45 - Feb 20 with 2307 viewsSwansea_Blue

Was Smith making his debut for Colorado at the time? Could be one of his clearances coming back to Earth...

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 12:31 - Feb 20 with 2238 viewsBloomBlue

Did it have a Tesla badge on it?
Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 12:34 - Feb 20 with 2234 viewsStokieBlue

Just off the coast of South Africa, East London to be exact on 12:31 - Feb 20 by BloomBlue

Did it have a Tesla badge on it?

You really want a Tesla don't you?

Always up there in the forefront of your mind, like that unachievable crush.

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024