Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
David Meyler 09:59 - Mar 2 with 15540 viewsJimmy86

The Daily Star have us linked with Hull midfielder David Meyler, who is leaving the club at the end of the season.

Irish international, but has been really injury prone in his career. Can't believe he's only 28!!
David Meyler on 14:06 - Mar 3 with 1062 viewschristiand

David Meyler on 13:53 - Mar 3 by BrixtonBlue

I bet I could go though your list (if I could be bothered) and connect most of them to England as well (if you're including Didzy because he had an Irish grandmother he didn't even know about when he signed).

So what can't speak CAN lie!

Have a look then instead of just talking about it!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

David Meyler on 14:08 - Mar 3 with 1058 viewsHennikerBlu

David Meyler on 13:48 - Mar 3 by christiand

Why Ireland though apart from cost and perhaps laziness on the club's part on recruitment due to MM's Irish connections? I can only use the the information that is provided Henniker, but that is what most posters do when providing their side of an argument. There aren't many that have the access, apart from Gav or Phil on here, to question MM's recruitment policy - therefore statistics will have to do. What can't speak, can't lie!

Number one driver on recruitment I would think is cost.

"What can's speak, can't lie" Are you really using that to justify your argument? Sounds like something from the 1970's.

You still have yet to explain why 75-80% are not? Why not go all out Irish?

I can understand that statistics can represent a place to start, but surely when they are as raw and unqualified as this you would be argumentative to stand by these alone and not appreciate the counter arguments.
David Meyler on 14:26 - Mar 3 with 1036 viewsHerbivore

David Meyler on 13:48 - Mar 3 by christiand

Why Ireland though apart from cost and perhaps laziness on the club's part on recruitment due to MM's Irish connections? I can only use the the information that is provided Henniker, but that is what most posters do when providing their side of an argument. There aren't many that have the access, apart from Gav or Phil on here, to question MM's recruitment policy - therefore statistics will have to do. What can't speak, can't lie!

There's a long association of Irish players playing in English football. If you did what I suggested numerous posts ago and took your head out of your backside and looked at other squads in the Championship you'd see it's quite common to have a few Irish lads in your squad at this level. You say we sign a disproportionately high number of Irish players, what's your basis for comparison?

Seriously, you're having a howler as several people have pointed out now. I'm not sure why you're continuing to embarrass yourself by insisting you're right and the rest of us are wrong. You made a lazy and ill-founded criticism of the club's transfer policy (not for the first time, and you got similarly owned last time too), just hold up your hands to that and move on.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

David Meyler on 14:27 - Mar 3 with 1034 viewschristiand

David Meyler on 13:42 - Mar 3 by BrixtonBlue

I can see the list. I don't know enough about most of them to know how 'Irish' they really are.

You are being disingenuous at best. Your point wasn't always about "the connection with Ireland"...

In your first post in this thread you said;
"No, not another Irish player surely? That is so unlike us!!!! Our scouting network looks far and wide.......as long as it's not beyond Ireland."

That's not about merely being "connected" to Ireland, but being Irish.

Your second post;
"it is hard to dismiss that we do seem to sign a bloody lot from the Emerald Isle."

Your third post;
"Being Irish seems to certainly help...Like I said earlier I'm not saying all our signings are from the Emerald Isle, but a good percentage are."

Your fourth post (talking about Didzy);
"Still Irish though Libero, however much you think it is debatable."

It's not until your FIFTH post on the subject that you switch to "connected" to Ireland rather than just "Irish". To include Didzy, who didn't even know himself that he had an Irish connection when we signed him, is laughable.

To me we always seem to sign or are rumoured to sign players that are Irish or have an association with Ireland as they have played for them has always been something I have found interesting during MM’s reign, although it was a tongue in cheek comment initially. However as this thread has developed it has allowed for me to investigate more, especially with JetPower’s list. For me, they aren’t a country that is a hotbed of proven quality but we always seem to keep going back. Unfortunately BrixtonBlue you aren’t me and know what I think, although I haven’t articulated myself as well I could at times in this thread. Nevertheless, the stats show that MM does sign a fair few players with Irish connections however you want to ignore the fact which was my original point.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2018 14:38]

David Meyler on 14:30 - Mar 3 with 1031 viewsHerbivore

David Meyler on 13:06 - Mar 3 by JETPower

Jordan Graham played 2 games for ROI Under 15s before later playing for England U16 and U17 (16 times in total). He was born in Coventry.

Alan Lee came back as youth team coach too, he just happened to keep his player registration. Didz didn't know he was Irish (he's not really) until after we signed him. He's really reaching on this one, and even allowing him Didz we have a comparable number of Irish players to many other Championship sides. Preston have more than us but that's okay because they're in the north west and have an Irish connection through Kilbane, I mean it's not like we have an Irish connection or anything.

David Meyler on 14:35 - Mar 3 with 1027 viewsArnieM

David Meyler on 14:30 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

Alan Lee came back as youth team coach too, he just happened to keep his player registration. Didz didn't know he was Irish (he's not really) until after we signed him. He's really reaching on this one, and even allowing him Didz we have a comparable number of Irish players to many other Championship sides. Preston have more than us but that's okay because they're in the north west and have an Irish connection through Kilbane, I mean it's not like we have an Irish connection or anything.

Mick McCarthy is the Irish connection , and before him Roy Keane!

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

David Meyler on 14:36 - Mar 3 with 1027 viewschristiand

David Meyler on 14:30 - Mar 3 by Herbivore

Yes of course they’ll be reasons to go against what others believe, we can all do that Herbivore when it suits. Although you’re probably the best at exploiting that to suit your own agenda.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2018 14:42]

David Meyler on 14:37 - Mar 3 with 1018 viewsHerbivore

David Meyler on 14:36 - Mar 3 by christiand

Yes of course they’ll be reasons to go against what others believe, we can all do that Herbivore when it suits. Although you’re probably the best at exploiting that to suit your own agenda.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2018 14:42]

Eh?

Login to get fewer ads

David Meyler on 15:49 - Mar 3 with 988 viewsBrixtonBlue

David Meyler on 14:27 - Mar 3 by christiand

To me we always seem to sign or are rumoured to sign players that are Irish or have an association with Ireland as they have played for them has always been something I have found interesting during MM’s reign, although it was a tongue in cheek comment initially. However as this thread has developed it has allowed for me to investigate more, especially with JetPower’s list. For me, they aren’t a country that is a hotbed of proven quality but we always seem to keep going back. Unfortunately BrixtonBlue you aren’t me and know what I think, although I haven’t articulated myself as well I could at times in this thread. Nevertheless, the stats show that MM does sign a fair few players with Irish connections however you want to ignore the fact which was my original point.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2018 14:38]

You've just ignored everything I've posted and blundered on regardless.

"MM does sign a fair few players with Irish connections" WAS NOT your original point. You have moved the goalposts to prop up your weak argument.

You also continue to ignore the fact that even Didzy didn't know he had Irish connections when he moved here, let alone the bloke signing him. You're full of blarney mate!

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024