Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound 19:19 - Mar 5 with 22304 viewsgiant_stow

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/mar/05/target-wealthy-baby-boomers-say

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 16:16 - Mar 6 with 3852 viewsRyorry

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 15:21 - Mar 6 by itfcjoe

Generalisations need to be made, it clearly isn't everyone that is like this but there are a generation where a big chunk is happy to see young people have it harder and harder to get on the housing ladder and they illustrate that every 5 years at the ballot box.

No they don't, and as for "a big chunk is happy to see young people have it harder and harder to get on the housing ladder" - that's just arrant nonsense - it's in no-one's interests, including baby-boomers' to see that, and I don't know a single person of my generation who thinks that. In fact such a situation would be completely against bbs' own interests, as they'll depend on the younger generations to generate not only a thriving economy, but to be in a situation to perform services that the bbs need, from medical & social care, to plumbing and gardening etc.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 16:22 - Mar 6 with 3837 viewsitfcjoe

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 16:16 - Mar 6 by Ryorry

No they don't, and as for "a big chunk is happy to see young people have it harder and harder to get on the housing ladder" - that's just arrant nonsense - it's in no-one's interests, including baby-boomers' to see that, and I don't know a single person of my generation who thinks that. In fact such a situation would be completely against bbs' own interests, as they'll depend on the younger generations to generate not only a thriving economy, but to be in a situation to perform services that the bbs need, from medical & social care, to plumbing and gardening etc.

Anyone buying a cheap second property that they have no intention of ever living in is happy to see it be made harder for youngsters to get on the property ladder - that is just a fact, inconvenient as it is to many

It's not all the BBs fault, they actually get out and vote which is the key. But the Govt have spent too long pandering to them to keep their vote rather than do what is best for everyone.

This has been because youngsters don't get out and vote - again this is a generalisation but this time against my generation, even though I've always voted (bar 2015 GE when I physically couldn't) - and because they don't vote they don't get pandered too.

Note that Corbyn's army of young voters has now seen the Tories talking about taking cash of the BBs, the dementia tax in last GE when it was clear more youngsters would be hitting ballot box.

But for as long as I can remember, the older generation have been given far more (and willingly accept it) whilst the youngsters have been screwed again and again and it has reached a situation that is too far gone and it will now be painful for all involved - but the pain needs to be spread out across all generations.

EDIT - Added first para in
[Post edited 6 Mar 2018 16:24]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 16:25 - Mar 6 with 3825 viewsNo9

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 16:22 - Mar 6 by itfcjoe

Anyone buying a cheap second property that they have no intention of ever living in is happy to see it be made harder for youngsters to get on the property ladder - that is just a fact, inconvenient as it is to many

It's not all the BBs fault, they actually get out and vote which is the key. But the Govt have spent too long pandering to them to keep their vote rather than do what is best for everyone.

This has been because youngsters don't get out and vote - again this is a generalisation but this time against my generation, even though I've always voted (bar 2015 GE when I physically couldn't) - and because they don't vote they don't get pandered too.

Note that Corbyn's army of young voters has now seen the Tories talking about taking cash of the BBs, the dementia tax in last GE when it was clear more youngsters would be hitting ballot box.

But for as long as I can remember, the older generation have been given far more (and willingly accept it) whilst the youngsters have been screwed again and again and it has reached a situation that is too far gone and it will now be painful for all involved - but the pain needs to be spread out across all generations.

Joe, we've already had the pain - several times.
Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 16:51 - Mar 6 with 3802 viewsRyorry

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 16:22 - Mar 6 by itfcjoe

I am totally against btl, which I regard as a scourge - but again, I don't personally know anyone of my generation who does that.

I've often said that I feel very sorry for youngsters today, who I think are worse off in many ways compared with our lucky generation - not just re housing, but jobs availability & security, population and traffic densities, the environment & terrorism to worry about - and most of all the relative lack of optimism and hope now compared with the 1950s-70s.

The problem with what you said earlier was that whilst the younger generation now may have been "screwed", that's down to unscrupulous politicians and big businesses, not us bbs individually, to whom you were very unfairly & unpleasantly ageist - which is actually counter-productive to your cause.

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 16:54 - Mar 6 with 3797 viewsPinewoodblue

Joe the problem is that government by not allowing the finance required to building houses for rent created the opportunity for those, who could afford to, to buy houses to rent out. Most of the people I know, including own daughter, who have become landlords are too young to be classified as baby boomers. Worked well for my daughter as the profit from the sale of the second house eased the financial burden of divorce.

It is government policy, not any particular age group, that has made it harder for the younger generation to get on the property ladder.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 17:46 - Mar 6 with 3774 viewsNo9

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 16:54 - Mar 6 by Pinewoodblue

Joe the problem is that government by not allowing the finance required to building houses for rent created the opportunity for those, who could afford to, to buy houses to rent out. Most of the people I know, including own daughter, who have become landlords are too young to be classified as baby boomers. Worked well for my daughter as the profit from the sale of the second house eased the financial burden of divorce.

It is government policy, not any particular age group, that has made it harder for the younger generation to get on the property ladder.

It is government policy = correct
Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 17:49 - Mar 6 with 3773 viewslongtimefan

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 16:54 - Mar 6 by Pinewoodblue

That tallies with my experience. Born in the early sixties, so on the very trailing edge of the BBs, if not Gen X, but all the people I know who have BTL are younger than me, some of them by 25 years!
Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 11:05 - Mar 7 with 3704 viewsitfcjoe

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 16:51 - Mar 6 by Ryorry

I am totally against btl, which I regard as a scourge - but again, I don't personally know anyone of my generation who does that.

I've often said that I feel very sorry for youngsters today, who I think are worse off in many ways compared with our lucky generation - not just re housing, but jobs availability & security, population and traffic densities, the environment & terrorism to worry about - and most of all the relative lack of optimism and hope now compared with the 1950s-70s.

The problem with what you said earlier was that whilst the younger generation now may have been "screwed", that's down to unscrupulous politicians and big businesses, not us bbs individually, to whom you were very unfairly & unpleasantly ageist - which is actually counter-productive to your cause.

But what generation have the politicians and business leaders been that have allowed this to situation to develop?

Login to get fewer ads

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 11:14 - Mar 7 with 3701 viewsNo9

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 11:05 - Mar 7 by itfcjoe

But what generation have the politicians and business leaders been that have allowed this to situation to develop?

It didn't develope Joe, it was engineered in the 80's.
Minimising the state and moving things so people became responsible for their actions and future- that was government policy.
You can't sell off council houses to people who can't really afford them then cut their investment by building hundreds of thousands of homes(as happened in the 60's) without creating an electorate who will vote against you?
It was always going to end up where it is but was hurried in by the bankers crash.
Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 11:20 - Mar 7 with 3701 viewsitfcjoe

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 11:14 - Mar 7 by No9

It didn't develope Joe, it was engineered in the 80's.
Minimising the state and moving things so people became responsible for their actions and future- that was government policy.
You can't sell off council houses to people who can't really afford them then cut their investment by building hundreds of thousands of homes(as happened in the 60's) without creating an electorate who will vote against you?
It was always going to end up where it is but was hurried in by the bankers crash.

Engineered by the Baby Boomers who were in power though surely?

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 11:24 - Mar 7 with 3695 viewsPinewoodblue

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 11:20 - Mar 7 by itfcjoe

Generation before baby boomers. john Major as first baby boomer PM.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2018 11:26]

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 11:32 - Mar 7 with 3682 viewsitfcjoe

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 11:24 - Mar 7 by Pinewoodblue

Generation before baby boomers. john Major as first baby boomer PM.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2018 11:26]

I'm not an expert on all this (clearly), but young people have got a raw deal over the last 10-15 years or more where growth in everything has continued but wages have remained stagnant as the GOvt props the economy up on house prices.

As I've said previously though, I'm a homeowner and did quite well with my first property and have done very well with my second so it isn't a woe is me attitude but just seeing the people around me struggle

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 11:36 - Mar 7 with 3677 viewsRyorry

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 11:05 - Mar 7 by itfcjoe

So every one of us bbs is responsible for the sins of all politicians & business leaders are we? Not forgetting that politicians of all ages, incl relatively young & relatively old, go into that business.

Your ageism is showing again. Think about how it would read if you'd substituted the words "black" or "gay" for example, where you've referenced "bbs", "old" etc.

Ry - never voted Tory in entire life, constituent for past 25 years of a safe Tory rural seat, av majority in last two GEs 20K.

Really bored with this now.

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 11:43 - Mar 7 with 3672 viewslongtimefan

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 11:32 - Mar 7 by itfcjoe

I'm not an expert on all this (clearly), but young people have got a raw deal over the last 10-15 years or more where growth in everything has continued but wages have remained stagnant as the GOvt props the economy up on house prices.

As I've said previously though, I'm a homeowner and did quite well with my first property and have done very well with my second so it isn't a woe is me attitude but just seeing the people around me struggle

I have no doubt that its hard for younger people at the moment and have children in their early 20s and late teens that are affected, but is it really a surprise that the last 10 years have been hard given we went into the worst global depression since the 30's 10 years ago? There's plenty of middle aged and older people who have been struggling since then as well.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2018 11:54]
Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 12:14 - Mar 7 with 3657 viewsitfcjoe

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 11:36 - Mar 7 by Ryorry

So every one of us bbs is responsible for the sins of all politicians & business leaders are we? Not forgetting that politicians of all ages, incl relatively young & relatively old, go into that business.

Your ageism is showing again. Think about how it would read if you'd substituted the words "black" or "gay" for example, where you've referenced "bbs", "old" etc.

Ry - never voted Tory in entire life, constituent for past 25 years of a safe Tory rural seat, av majority in last two GEs 20K.

Really bored with this now.

And every one of us youngsters is feckless and a millenial.

I've said I'm making generalisations, I'm happy to admit that and if you are offended by being in my generalisation when it is clear that your attitude isn't one I'm speaking about then that is your issue not mine

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 12:19 - Mar 7 with 3655 viewsitfcjoe

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 11:43 - Mar 7 by longtimefan

I have no doubt that its hard for younger people at the moment and have children in their early 20s and late teens that are affected, but is it really a surprise that the last 10 years have been hard given we went into the worst global depression since the 30's 10 years ago? There's plenty of middle aged and older people who have been struggling since then as well.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2018 11:54]

But property has held up remarkably well over this whole period, and whilst this continue to happen the gap between the haves and the have nots grows wider

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 12:25 - Mar 7 with 3652 viewsRyorry

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 12:14 - Mar 7 by itfcjoe

And every one of us youngsters is feckless and a millenial.

I've said I'm making generalisations, I'm happy to admit that and if you are offended by being in my generalisation when it is clear that your attitude isn't one I'm speaking about then that is your issue not mine

"every one of us youngsters is feckless and a millenial."

Please find me even a single example where anybody on here has said anything remotely like that.

You are doing your own cause a great disservice by generalising - as you can see from the responses here, you are alienating people instead of gaining sympathy. That's very much your problem.

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 12:32 - Mar 7 with 3640 viewsitfcjoe

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 12:25 - Mar 7 by Ryorry

"every one of us youngsters is feckless and a millenial."

Please find me even a single example where anybody on here has said anything remotely like that.

You are doing your own cause a great disservice by generalising - as you can see from the responses here, you are alienating people instead of gaining sympathy. That's very much your problem.

Everyone apart from you seems to be taking things in the spirit intended and discussing it with me.

Why do terms like Baby Boomers, Millenials, Generation X, exist? To generalise a generation to make it easier to discuss things more broadly

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 12:34 - Mar 7 with 3638 viewsNo9

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 11:20 - Mar 7 by itfcjoe

By the political classes that's for sure.
Don't forget the government of the 80's created the 'underclss' I and many of my contemporaries would have been in a worse place had we not taken work outside the UK.
I did NOT get a decent living by working for UK companies.
I am extremely sad that the young today will not have the opportunities I had
Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 12:43 - Mar 7 with 3632 viewsRyorry

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 12:32 - Mar 7 by itfcjoe

Everyone apart from you seems to be taking things in the spirit intended and discussing it with me.

Why do terms like Baby Boomers, Millenials, Generation X, exist? To generalise a generation to make it easier to discuss things more broadly

I have taken things perfectly in the spirit that they were intended thank you very much, including many times endorsing the view that youngsters have it harder now than we did, and that I feel very sorry for them. It's only you that's hellbent on insulting an entire generation. Of course we have terms like "baby boomers" and "gays", the difference is that it's totally unacceptable to most people to go round stereotyping and stigmatising baby boomers and gay people.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2018 12:44]

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 12:46 - Mar 7 with 3625 viewsNo9

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 12:19 - Mar 7 by itfcjoe

But property has held up remarkably well over this whole period, and whilst this continue to happen the gap between the haves and the have nots grows wider

You must remember Joe that officially since 2010 wages in the UK have fallen by more than any other country in the EU except Greece.
You also have to remember that the governemnt after 2010 gave away £ billoins of taxpayers money to support develoers trying to sell houses. That intervention along with opening up properlty deals to Non- Uk persons has created false inflation.
Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 12:51 - Mar 7 with 3623 viewslongtimefan

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 12:34 - Mar 7 by No9

By the political classes that's for sure.
Don't forget the government of the 80's created the 'underclss' I and many of my contemporaries would have been in a worse place had we not taken work outside the UK.
I did NOT get a decent living by working for UK companies.
I am extremely sad that the young today will not have the opportunities I had

"I did NOT get a decent living by working for UK companies. "

And for the sake of balance, I did.
Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 13:34 - Mar 7 with 3600 viewsitfcjoe

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 12:43 - Mar 7 by Ryorry

I have taken things perfectly in the spirit that they were intended thank you very much, including many times endorsing the view that youngsters have it harder now than we did, and that I feel very sorry for them. It's only you that's hellbent on insulting an entire generation. Of course we have terms like "baby boomers" and "gays", the difference is that it's totally unacceptable to most people to go round stereotyping and stigmatising baby boomers and gay people.
[Post edited 7 Mar 2018 12:44]

Yes, stigmatising gays and baby boomers is exactly the same

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 13:35 - Mar 7 with 3596 viewsitfcjoe

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 12:46 - Mar 7 by No9

You must remember Joe that officially since 2010 wages in the UK have fallen by more than any other country in the EU except Greece.
You also have to remember that the governemnt after 2010 gave away £ billoins of taxpayers money to support develoers trying to sell houses. That intervention along with opening up properlty deals to Non- Uk persons has created false inflation.

The Credit Crunch will be looked upon as bigger than the Wall Street Crash by future generations, because we are living through it the enormity isn't as obvious

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 13:41 - Mar 7 with 3586 viewsNo9

Tax baby boomers houses or up income tax by 15p in the pound on 13:35 - Mar 7 by itfcjoe

The Credit Crunch will be looked upon as bigger than the Wall Street Crash by future generations, because we are living through it the enormity isn't as obvious

I am not sure what you mean by credit crunch.

There is no credit crunch now by comparison with the days when I go my first mortgage.
Loans were striclty controlled by ratio to earnings.
It wasn't until the 80's that lnding went crazy & one could borrow almsot as much as was wanted.
This with the policy that allowed several parties to get mortgage relief on the same property also helped to create inflation.

& you get to a place with properties now where there is virtually no inflation
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024