Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
100 years ago 11:38 - Mar 21 with 3666 viewsgerard1947

Exactly 100 years ago today my granddad's brother William was killed on the first day of the Kaiser's Offensive.

William was the eldest of 3 Sudbury brothers, all doing their bit for King and Country. William had volunteered almost as the war had started. My granddad Ernie, joined later, my first photograph of him in uniform at his wedding, ironically on the 1st July 1916. Younger brother Ted joined as the war was ending and spent 2 years helping to clear the detritus that the war had left.

William joined the Warwickshire Regiment before transferring to the Machine Gun Corps, Ernie was a stretcher bearer in the Middlesex Regiment. Ted was in the Essex Regiment. Both William and Ernie had been wounded, William three times the third a gunshot wound to the head which hospitalised him for 2 months.

The war had changed from attritional trench warfare to more dynamic fighting by 1918. The Allied lines were protected with redoubts with machine gun posts, as historian's described "scattered like cherries in a madeira cake". Following the Russian Revolution the Germans signed a non aggression pact freeing the whole of their Eastern Armies.

The battle started with a 5 hour bombardment, at 09.30 3,500 mortars opened rapid fire followed by an advance of 1 million Germans along a front of nearly 50 miles. The result could have been so different if it hadn't been for the weather. 100 years ago there was a thick fog. The troops advanced pretty much unseen. Before the advance could be halted the Germans had advanced up to 40 miles, capturing over 1,000 guns and inflicting 200,000 casualties.

Williams body wasn't recovered, he is remembered at the Araas War memorial and Sudbury Memorial.

I have several letters saved by Grandad sent to him in France, they include this letter sent to tell him of his brother's death.

Dated 12.4.1918 My Dear Ernie, Just a few lines hoping to find you quite well as it leaves us all at home. I was very pleased and thankful to get a card from you this morning to know you were quite well last Monday 8th and I do pray that God in his infinite mercy will spare you to come again. How glad we shall be when this cruel war is over.

My dear boy I have very sad news to tell you although I don't like worry you but if I don't others will. I had the notice on Tuesday 2nd post that our dear boy Willie was killed in action on the 21st March the first day of the battle. I was alone when the postman came but my dear boy don't worry about me, God is good to me. He has given me strength to bear up under this heavy blow.

I had the official notice from London yesterday stating my son met his death gallantly. I expect I shall hear no more. I'm glad all his sufferings and hardships are over and one day we shall all meet on the other side. Poor Willie is at rest.

God bless you my boy and in his mercy bring you back safe to us all. Mum

Thanks for reading this ... RIP great uncle Willie, an ordinary soldier in an extraordinary and terrible war
100 years ago on 12:47 - Mar 21 with 3553 viewsTractorWood

Thanks for sharing. An interesting read. Arras is a fine Town, it's also twinned with Ipswich.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

100 years ago on 13:25 - Mar 21 with 3508 viewsBenters2

A great read and God bless them all.

If you are ever in Colchester take a look on the Colchester town railway platform,there is a picture of a group of soldiers waiting for the train to take them out to fight in WW1.

It always amazes me how in the picture the background is the same,as is the station wall and surrounding area.
100 years ago on 14:29 - Mar 21 with 3464 viewsnorth_stand77

That's quite a story and fantastic that you have so much information.

I have recently been doing my family tree and my Grandmas brother Henry Harold Easy was killed 100 years ago on 5th May. He was only 18
100 years ago on 15:04 - Mar 21 with 3431 viewsgerard1947

100 years ago on 14:29 - Mar 21 by north_stand77

I have recently been doing my family tree and my Grandmas brother Henry Harold Easy was killed 100 years ago on 5th May. He was only 18

I'm fortunate to have information and material on my granddads and their brother's wars. I even have a personal diary kept throughout WW1 by my wife's grandad. As people have died I've made sure that nothing like this was discarded.

I have copied the best bits making sure all family members have it, the diary is also copied to his regimental museum.

My kids aren't really interested although a grandson may be, otherwise I'll pass to a nephew for safekeeping and to ensure future family have access to the information.

Checking your Grandmas brother it will depend whether Henry's records are available online. About half were damaged in the blitz. I find Find My Past best for military records.
100 years ago on 15:06 - Mar 21 with 3425 viewschicoazul

Nice post thank you. That war was the stupidest thing this country has ever done.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

100 years ago on 15:24 - Mar 21 with 3412 viewsgerard1947

100 years ago on 14:29 - Mar 21 by north_stand77

I've just had a look on the CWGC site. It shows a Henry Harold Easy as buried at Esquelbecq Military Cemetery. It has him as a driver Royal Engineers. The same day of death but aged 21, so might not be him.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2018 15:34]
100 years ago on 16:41 - Mar 21 with 3365 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

100 years ago on 15:24 - Mar 21 by gerard1947

I've just had a look on the CWGC site. It shows a Henry Harold Easy as buried at Esquelbecq Military Cemetery. It has him as a driver Royal Engineers. The same day of death but aged 21, so might not be him.
[Post edited 21 Mar 2018 15:34]

Could he have lied about his age when joining up?
100 years ago on 16:52 - Mar 21 with 3348 viewsbracknell_blue

100 years ago on 15:06 - Mar 21 by chicoazul

Nice post thank you. That war was the stupidest thing this country has ever done.

Nearly as stupid as Brexit

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

Login to get fewer ads

100 years ago on 17:05 - Mar 21 with 3331 viewsmanchego

100 years ago on 15:06 - Mar 21 by chicoazul

Somebody called it the worst family squabble in history.

It was when the upper classes truly didn't give a s... about the lower classes.
Hey you ! ... run into that machine gun .. or I'll shoot you ...
100 years ago on 17:12 - Mar 21 with 3323 viewsFrowsyArmLarry

100 years ago on 17:05 - Mar 21 by manchego

Somebody called it the worst family squabble in history.

It was when the upper classes truly didn't give a s... about the lower classes.
Hey you ! ... run into that machine gun .. or I'll shoot you ...

Not quite the case. The kaiser would have backed down at the last minute... but the government pushed them into it
100 years ago on 18:17 - Mar 21 with 3272 viewsvapour_trail

What a poignant post gerard. Nothing brings the war to life like the individual human stories.

We have the letters between my dads uncle and his parents before he was executed by the British army in Ireland in the 30s. There’s a fundamental resilience in the narrative that’s similarly striking.

Thanks for posting.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

100 years ago on 18:42 - Mar 21 with 3253 viewsnorth_stand77

100 years ago on 16:41 - Mar 21 by FrowsyArmLarry

Could he have lied about his age when joining up?

Yes, he did lie about his age, as did one of his brothers. It was definitely him as he was in the royal engineers as a driver. I have a picture of him in a mourning brooch and a formal letter announcing him as killed in action.

It's tragic that they genuinely thought they were going on a big adventure to help the country out. Such innocence which makes it even worse I think.

Thank you so much Gerard, I had no idea exactly where he is buried.
It was my intention to travel to visit any cemetery where he was buried on behalf of my family. I now know where to go!
Thanks again
[Post edited 21 Mar 2018 19:36]
100 years ago on 19:05 - Mar 21 with 3227 viewsgerard1947

100 years ago on 18:17 - Mar 21 by vapour_trail

What a poignant post gerard. Nothing brings the war to life like the individual human stories.

We have the letters between my dads uncle and his parents before he was executed by the British army in Ireland in the 30s. There’s a fundamental resilience in the narrative that’s similarly striking.

Thanks for posting.

Thank you too, your story brought a tear to my eye, how can you correspond with a child knowing that is about to happen. So sad.
100 years ago on 01:00 - Mar 22 with 3139 viewsCageyblue

Really interesting thanks. My great grandparents, Emma and Frederick Skinner of Ipswich had four sons fight in the First World War and only one returned ! Harold, Charles and Henry were 19,23 and 26 when they were killed in action. I am off to Arras on Monday and have two tours lined up. They have no known graves but are remembered at Pozieres, Menin Gate and Ploegsteert Memorials.

I am also hoping to trace my grandfathers movements. He survived but fought at Ypres and the Somme and suffered what was then called shell shock very badly. His records survived the blitz.
100 years ago on 02:20 - Mar 22 with 3123 viewsbluejake78

Very moving.
If there is a God...who I doubt there is a twisted Wayneker.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024