Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our wage budget 10:51 - Apr 6 with 4209 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

....its always bandied about that we have a low budget.

I think thats pretty much the only thing that the forum has a consensus on. But no one has ever really confirmed how that sits in the context of the overall league. Our last accounts showed a wage budget of c.£18m. From what I have seen, my best estimate would be that that is roughly equal to or better than the following clubs;

- Bristol City
- Sheffield Utd
- Millwall
- Preston
- Brentford
- Bolton
- Barnsley
- Burton

So that's 8 teams that are probably funded to a similar level to us. Meaning our expectations based on wage budget should be a league position of around 16th (funny that).

So although we have a budget in the bottom 25% of the league, I genuinely dont think there is an EXPECTATION from the owner to massively out perform that. Realistic expectations will be an attractive pull for a new manager. Yes, all managers would love a big budget, but most wont get one, so realistic expectations comes a close second.

Roy Keane was sacked in 19th place, when he'd been given a much more competitive budget.

Paul Jewell was sacked in 24th place!!

And lets face it, Mick is only not having his contract renewed due to fan pressure and the toxic relationship. ME wasnt desperate to sack him.

Say what you like about Evans, I think he is an attractive proposition to work for.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Our wage budget on 12:00 - Apr 6 with 1145 viewsGuthrum

Our wage budget on 11:17 - Apr 6 by No9

As far as Towns wage bill is concerned it doesn't seperate out playng from non playing staff does it?
So if you take the numbers ITFC employ agains the wage bill it is relatively low. It would be better if the players & non players were repoted separately

But I think you are right there are clubs with much lower wages than Town

Many clubs don't separate out playing and non-playing staff wages in their accounts. Certainly not in the case of Manager and coaching setup (which I would argue should be considered in with the players' wages anyway).

Apart from the players, top few coaches and the MD, most of the rest of the employees will be on such markedly lower wage rates as to not significantly impact the figures anyway (10 staff on an average of £25k pa = one first team squad member on £5k pw).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I don't see what's in it for..... on 12:02 - Apr 6 with 1145 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I don't see what's in it for..... on 11:43 - Apr 6 by Bloots

....a young progressive manager.

Most of those mentioned are flying high in the 3rd Division.

We won't even have the transfer budget for them to bring any of their current players with them.

If we use Cook as an example his team is built around players like Powell, Power and Burn. We couldn't afford any of them.

I'm not sure why you would expect a manager to be able to bring his star players in with him.

They are good examples though;

Powell, signed on a free transfer.

Power, signed on a bosman.

Burn, signed on a bosman.

It shows that with the right scouting, players of that ilk do no have to cost the earth.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2018 12:02]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

I don't see what's in it for..... on 12:43 - Apr 6 with 1121 viewssoupytwist

I don't see what's in it for..... on 12:02 - Apr 6 by Marshalls_Mullet

I'm not sure why you would expect a manager to be able to bring his star players in with him.

They are good examples though;

Powell, signed on a free transfer.

Power, signed on a bosman.

Burn, signed on a bosman.

It shows that with the right scouting, players of that ilk do no have to cost the earth.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2018 12:02]

No fees might have changed hands for those three but I bet if you took the cost over the course of the contract they would be nearer the top of our range rather than the bottom. Wouldn't be surprised if the top 2 cost at least as much as Waghorn and Garner.
I don't see what's in it for..... on 12:55 - Apr 6 with 1110 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I don't see what's in it for..... on 12:43 - Apr 6 by soupytwist

No fees might have changed hands for those three but I bet if you took the cost over the course of the contract they would be nearer the top of our range rather than the bottom. Wouldn't be surprised if the top 2 cost at least as much as Waghorn and Garner.

Sounds like a good deal to me!!

Our wage budget on 13:36 - Apr 6 with 1095 viewshampstead_blue

Well as of this week it's just gone up.

Company Pension contributions have go up.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Our wage budget on 13:42 - Apr 6 with 1090 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Our wage budget on 13:36 - Apr 6 by hampstead_blue

Well as of this week it's just gone up.

Company Pension contributions have go up.

And minimum + living wage.

The players will be pleased.

I don't see what's in it for..... on 13:48 - Apr 6 with 1079 viewshype313

I don't see what's in it for..... on 11:49 - Apr 6 by Marshalls_Mullet

I disagree.

Hurst would come, even if Shrewsbury get promoted. He will have a bigger budget at Town.

Mowbray will come if Blackburn remain in League 1.

The Cowley brother would certainly take the chance to move into the Champ.

Cook would come if Wigan dont get promoted.

Nathan Jones would jump at the chance.

Warburton would come.

Granted, SOME might not be achievable depending on their status at the time, but thats the same with ANY shortlist drawn up for recruitment.

You also have to factor one other thing in..... we have no idea what budget ME will give a new manager. He might back them like he did with Keane. Unlikely, but he might.

On your last point, and like what you said above about Evans would have preferred to keep Mick, I can't see Evans giving any new guy more money or a significant increase in budget. If Mick wasn't given one and you have to say Evans would have trusted Mick far more than anyone else, then it would would be quite odd if he gave someone new an increase in budget.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

I don't see what's in it for..... on 13:52 - Apr 6 with 1073 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I don't see what's in it for..... on 13:48 - Apr 6 by hype313

On your last point, and like what you said above about Evans would have preferred to keep Mick, I can't see Evans giving any new guy more money or a significant increase in budget. If Mick wasn't given one and you have to say Evans would have trusted Mick far more than anyone else, then it would would be quite odd if he gave someone new an increase in budget.

You're probably right, but there is a small percentage chance that ME will have a re-think.

I'm not saying its going to happen, but it could be something he looks at in order to attract the right candidate.

Login to get fewer ads

I don't see what's in it for..... on 14:26 - Apr 6 with 1054 viewshype313

I don't see what's in it for..... on 13:52 - Apr 6 by Marshalls_Mullet

You're probably right, but there is a small percentage chance that ME will have a re-think.

I'm not saying its going to happen, but it could be something he looks at in order to attract the right candidate.

Oh def agree, he might think he has no choice, league position, ST sales etc and as much as we are an attractive proposition for any manager, they key part of no funds is a hard sell, especially given the huge differences in clubs finances.

So he could change his position, but deep down I think he has thrown more money than he originally planned, and it's about keeping this club in this division for as long as feasibly possible until either somebody decides to take it off his hands or we fluke a promotion.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024