Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The RSPCA 18:11 - May 10 with 53123 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Do they kill injured birds when they come to collect them.

Saw an injured pigeon in my garden this morning. But it scarpered into the bushes and is assumed was gone. When I’ve come home a few minutes ago, it’s at the end of my garden and seems to have a broken wing.

We’ve looked for a rescue centre online but ended up only calling the RSPCA. Do they look after the pigeon or will they kil it? Genuine question. I feel really sorry for it. If I did t have a dog, I’d take it in and nurse it back to health if it saves them killing him/her.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

The RSPCA on 22:17 - May 14 with 1675 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Sitters has been inspired

I voted ‘lovely birds’ because of my guilt over the weeks events.

Poll: Would you take a draw tonight if offered right now?

The RSPCA on 08:34 - May 15 with 1495 viewsGeoffSentence

The RSPCA on 22:07 - May 14 by wkj

You know, How come you never see pigeons in the snow?

They are, like the Russian military, highly trained for cold weather conditions.

You never see the pigeon that kills you.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The RSPCA on 09:32 - May 15 with 1453 viewsgordon

Right.

The 'pigeon' in question in this thread is in fact a Woodpigeon - woodpigeons have the white half collar round their neck, and are often very fat but quite regal and pompous looking, like a sort of .

When people refer to 'flying rats', they aren't referring to woodpigeons, they are referring to feral pigeons, which are actually not that closely related to woodpigeons, and in fact are really rock doves, which are smaller and nippier birds which nest on cliffs. Rock Doves established in towns and cities a few centuries ago because of the availability of lots of nice nooks and ledges on buildings, similar to their natural nesting cliffs, but unfortunately there were also lots of escaped domestic racing 'pigeons' of various fancy breeds which then bred with the wild rock doves, creating the urban feral pigeon.

The point is that the Woodpigeon and the 'Feral Pigeon' are quite unrelated and dissimilar in their ecology, and while it might be fair enough to describe a feral as a flying rat because of their adaptability to urban areas, referring to a woodpigeon as a 'flying rat' is daft.

In terms of 'putting birds out of their misery', my advice would be to never do it. There is absolutely no point. A Woodpigeon with a damaged wing may very well recover after a few days - and the experience of being handled and then despatched by someone with little idea what they're doing will almost certainly be much more stressful for the bird than whatever nature has in store.

When people want to 'put birds out of their misery', it's to ease their own conscience, or so they don't have to think about the animal which they suppose is 'suffering'.
The RSPCA on 09:47 - May 15 with 1430 viewsBluebell

The RSPCA on 22:17 - May 14 by The_Romford_Blue

Sitters has been inspired

I voted ‘lovely birds’ because of my guilt over the weeks events.

I see you have been looking for it Rommy.

The RSPCA on 09:54 - May 15 with 1419 viewsGeoffSentence

The RSPCA on 09:32 - May 15 by gordon

Right.

The 'pigeon' in question in this thread is in fact a Woodpigeon - woodpigeons have the white half collar round their neck, and are often very fat but quite regal and pompous looking, like a sort of .

When people refer to 'flying rats', they aren't referring to woodpigeons, they are referring to feral pigeons, which are actually not that closely related to woodpigeons, and in fact are really rock doves, which are smaller and nippier birds which nest on cliffs. Rock Doves established in towns and cities a few centuries ago because of the availability of lots of nice nooks and ledges on buildings, similar to their natural nesting cliffs, but unfortunately there were also lots of escaped domestic racing 'pigeons' of various fancy breeds which then bred with the wild rock doves, creating the urban feral pigeon.

The point is that the Woodpigeon and the 'Feral Pigeon' are quite unrelated and dissimilar in their ecology, and while it might be fair enough to describe a feral as a flying rat because of their adaptability to urban areas, referring to a woodpigeon as a 'flying rat' is daft.

In terms of 'putting birds out of their misery', my advice would be to never do it. There is absolutely no point. A Woodpigeon with a damaged wing may very well recover after a few days - and the experience of being handled and then despatched by someone with little idea what they're doing will almost certainly be much more stressful for the bird than whatever nature has in store.

When people want to 'put birds out of their misery', it's to ease their own conscience, or so they don't have to think about the animal which they suppose is 'suffering'.

Woodpigeons are however, a right royal pain in the backside for the farmers of the Ipswich-Shotley-Sudbury Golden Triangle, and probably in other parts of the country too.

I imagine that the Romford farming community will have been pleased to think that this one had been dispatched.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

The RSPCA on 11:51 - May 15 with 1385 viewsBrixtonBlue

The RSPCA on 22:02 - May 14 by wkj

Did Sitters drop his torch?

He shat himself so hard his trainers flew off.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

The RSPCA on 11:53 - May 15 with 1382 viewsBrixtonBlue

The RSPCA on 14:15 - May 13 by The_Romford_Blue

Came home from cricket yesterday and the pigeon appears to have gone. My dog is now out the garden and can’t find it either.

So either:
a) A bird flew in and carried the pigeon off.
b) A fox or badger came in during Friday night and took it away.
c) The pigeons wing repaired over the two days and he managed to find the strength to fly away.

I’m choosing to believe option C.

You used your DOG to search for a pigeon?!

The bird in option "a", is that the lesser spotted paramedic bird?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024