Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I think we are all forgetting it is still early on in close season.... 09:55 - May 24 with 1315 viewsITFC_Forever

It just feels like we have taken a long time to sort the managerial position out as it was confirmed Mick was leaving before the end of the season.

Although you could say we have frittered away our head-start, if our preferred candidate was Hurst all along, we were always going to have to accept the timetable that Shrewsbury's end of season gave us......

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

I think we are all forgetting it is still early on in close season.... on 09:59 - May 24 with 1303 viewsGuthrum

In addition, the head start is rather illusory, in that anyone worth having will want to (indeed, be told by his agent to) wait and consider several offers before deciding on the best one for them.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I think we are all forgetting it is still early on in close season.... on 10:05 - May 24 with 1289 viewsITFC_Forever

I think we are all forgetting it is still early on in close season.... on 09:59 - May 24 by Guthrum

In addition, the head start is rather illusory, in that anyone worth having will want to (indeed, be told by his agent to) wait and consider several offers before deciding on the best one for them.

Yep.... and given that the fan-base has been pretty clear that another one off the merry-go-round was the one thing we didn't want, and we wanted someone on the up, then by definition, that candidate would be having a good season, which may will include a Play Off campaign.

And for us to be seemingly holding out for Hurst, there must have been initial contact between ME and Hurst & Shrewsbury who would have indicated there's a deal that can be done, but we would have to play nicely and wait until after the POs are finished for them - which is absolutely the right thing to do.... we'd be livid if someone was unsettling our manager in the midst of a PO campaign, so we can hardly do it to another club.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

I think we are all forgetting it is still early on in close season.... on 10:09 - May 24 with 1275 viewsNo9

A good point however, whoever comes in to take over team matters may not want some who have been told they will stay & may have wanted to retain some who have been release?
e.g. It seems a bit silly to see a GK leave when Town are a bit thin on the ground for that position.
I think we are all forgetting it is still early on in close season.... on 10:13 - May 24 with 1266 viewsbraveblue

Not too early for little clubs like Arsenal to make a huge decision.
I think we are all forgetting it is still early on in close season.... on 10:25 - May 24 with 1255 viewsGuthrum

I think we are all forgetting it is still early on in close season.... on 10:13 - May 24 by braveblue

Not too early for little clubs like Arsenal to make a huge decision.

Arsenal have pretty much their pick of the best managers in the world. Nobody is going to prefer Sunderland over them.

We don't have that luxury. Indeed, could be seen as quite ambitious in going after Ross and Hurst.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I think we are all forgetting it is still early on in close season.... on 10:34 - May 24 with 1232 viewsitfcjoe

I think we are all forgetting it is still early on in close season.... on 10:05 - May 24 by ITFC_Forever

Yep.... and given that the fan-base has been pretty clear that another one off the merry-go-round was the one thing we didn't want, and we wanted someone on the up, then by definition, that candidate would be having a good season, which may will include a Play Off campaign.

And for us to be seemingly holding out for Hurst, there must have been initial contact between ME and Hurst & Shrewsbury who would have indicated there's a deal that can be done, but we would have to play nicely and wait until after the POs are finished for them - which is absolutely the right thing to do.... we'd be livid if someone was unsettling our manager in the midst of a PO campaign, so we can hardly do it to another club.

This is ITFC - there 'must have' been a striker lined up in January when we sold Daryl Murphy in August....etc

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I think we are all forgetting it is still early on in close season.... on 10:37 - May 24 with 1217 viewshomer_123

I think we are all forgetting it is still early on in close season.... on 10:25 - May 24 by Guthrum

Arsenal have pretty much their pick of the best managers in the world. Nobody is going to prefer Sunderland over them.

We don't have that luxury. Indeed, could be seen as quite ambitious in going after Ross and Hurst.

This is the truth that many don't want to see.

The single biggest element in our favour is the fact that our owner gives his managers time. We have a shrinking fanbase that has delusions of grandeur, stagnant position in the championship, little to no investment (albeit a seemingly decent academy), fighting an ever losing battle of having to perform on a year on year reducing budget in comparison to others in this league.

We're hardly a top draw appointment.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

I think we are all forgetting it is still early on in close season.... on 10:43 - May 24 with 1201 viewsSwansea_Blue

I think we are all forgetting it is still early on in close season.... on 09:59 - May 24 by Guthrum

Nah. Teams and managers seem to be able to get deals sorted pretty quickly. There have been several appointments already in the last couple of weeks. Obviously nothing was going to happen officially until the end of the season, but either these appointments have already been talking before the end of the season or the recruitment process was short and snappy.

We definitely had a head start, but have either blown that or chosen not to use it (I suspect the latter, but who knows).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

I think we are all forgetting it is still early on in close season.... on 11:05 - May 24 with 1177 viewsitfcjoe

I think we are all forgetting it is still early on in close season.... on 10:25 - May 24 by Guthrum

You could argue there is an even smaller pool of potential managers - and there were other huge clubs like PSG and Chelsea presumably soon with vacancies though.

They had to ensure they got it sorted before anything happened with Conte in my view, because otherwise there is a more successful London club with better budgets available

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024