Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jogging tips.. 20:45 - Jul 4 with 4028 viewsSwailsey

Good to lose weight?
Good for the mind?
Tips for urban running newbie?

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Jogging tips.. on 08:57 - Jul 5 with 521 viewsSuperfrans

Get one of the "Couch To 5k" apps - there is a BBC one which helps you get up to 5k within 8-10 weeks. It's very good, very motivational and helps structure your initial plan.

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

Jogging tips.. on 08:57 - Jul 5 with 522 viewsKieran_Knows

I've said plenty of times before, but if you can find someone to go with you, then try out squash. I had been playing it on and off for a year or so, but in 2016 I went away with the missus and then straight to Euro 2016, and when I came home and the obligatory photos were uploaded to social media, I looked a right fat f*cker.

Running I found very boring, even if I did try and mix the routes up, however a very good mate of mine suggested we started playing squash a bit more (we actually started playing 3 times a week, double slots each time), and the pounds literally fell off me (whilst of course eating heavily). Within a year I had lost 3 stone, dropped a shirt size as well as dropping down in waist size for jeans etc. It was the best thing I've done.

I must admit, I only really play squash once a week now, with 5 a side another evening, but it's just enough to keep the weight off, as well as eating a bit more 'normally'.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2018 8:59]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Jogging tips.. on 18:08 - Jul 5 with 466 viewsstrikalite

Any exercise is good overall for the mind, we know endorphins are a natural high...it's just about getting that "hit" really, you just need to find what's best for you, running can do it, although it's hard on the joints...

Resistance training is still King imo, or certainly adding a couple of days a week of something like barbell complexes will help no end, especially for body composition and strength...or for now to get started get a kettlebell, 10-12kg should be good to start with, plenty of stuff on youtube...
Jogging tips.. on 18:17 - Jul 5 with 465 viewsWD19

I had to give up football due to injury. Had got to the state where I was doing no real exercise and it was really bad for my mental health. It is amazing how much running around once a week and kicking people did to cleanse the soul.

Anyway, just over a year ago the Mrs got a GPS tracking watch. I found myself borrowing it out of curiosity and started doing some running. Started off running 1k...walking a bit and running some more.....eventually got up to 5km and started doing Parkruns.

Have now done 50+ Parkruns.
PB has come down from c.30 mins to 22:30.
Have lost 15% of my bodyweight.
Ran my first 'proper' half marathon.
Got a bit carried away last week and ran 130km in the week.....

So my only tip is get a GPS watch and get addicted.
Jogging tips.. on 18:35 - Jul 5 with 454 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yes to both of those snf more. But urban? Urgh.

If at all possible, do youself a favour and find a park, a riverside path, canal tow path, drive out a bit to find some footpaths off the beaten track, etc. If you can’t then avoid peak traffic (and pedestrian times). No fun filling your lungs with funes and dancing round people all the time.

Plus don’t run with headphones in if you have to be on the road at all.

But yeah, good for the mind, body and soul.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024