Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1 up front.... 09:16 - Aug 22 with 1500 viewsitfcjoe

....not a big deal for me.

It's the rest of the attacking that we do is the problem.

Defence sitting too deep, which means too big a gap between them and the front man so we can't effectively press - full backs very rarely bombing on - Knudsen got past Ward a couple of times but don't think Donacien got past Edwards at all and to the byline.

Everything needs to be squeezed up to allow bodies to be around the lone striker. When we do get all the players in the opposition half we play some decent stuff, get the ball into dangerous positions etc but it's too few and far between.

I do think that Hurst needs to make a decision between Skuse and Chalobah too, neither push forward well and that is costing us an extra body where it is required.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

1 up front.... on 09:34 - Aug 22 with 1443 viewsBasuco

Two defensive midfielders are not a problem if the wingers and an advanced midfielder get up and support the lone striker, the player missing is the advanced midfielder to create chances, Harrison and Jackson are both looking for a phantom partner, what is the point of Harrison winning headers and flicking the ball on if there is no one to receive it? Either a front two or midfield runners are required to support the front man or we will continue to struggle for goals. But, not forgetting that PH did not get his defender targets in and that means the midfielders need to prop up defence rather than support the attack, so we do need to await the further additions of the rebuilt squad.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 9:36]
1 up front.... on 09:36 - Aug 22 with 1431 viewsMuncher

Joe completely agree 100%
1 up front.... on 09:39 - Aug 22 with 1423 viewsJimmyJazz

Might be controversial? But i'd play Skuse over Chalobah. Too many wrong decisions from Chalobah last night. It's the typical scenario where we'll iron out a few of his creases this season and he'll leave all the better for it next summer

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

1 up front.... on 09:43 - Aug 22 with 1400 viewsSomethingBlue

Absolutely right. And I said this last night but another thing is that we really need a better wide man opposite Edwards — preferably an inverted one like Celina whose habit is to cut inside and get close to the guy/s in the middle. Looks as if that's one position we won't be able to strengthen in this window and it's a shame.

Would assume that when Huws gets fit he'll be in — we need someone who can collect the ball in a deep position and get the tempo going. Godfrey did that well for Shrewsbury last year so I doubt Hurst is unaware. We're a bit hampered by lack of options at the moment so he gets the benefit of the doubt for now but the balance isn't right.
[Post edited 22 Aug 2018 9:43]

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

1 up front.... on 09:47 - Aug 22 with 1375 viewsDanTheMan

1 up front.... on 09:39 - Aug 22 by JimmyJazz

Might be controversial? But i'd play Skuse over Chalobah. Too many wrong decisions from Chalobah last night. It's the typical scenario where we'll iron out a few of his creases this season and he'll leave all the better for it next summer

I'd play Skuse over Chabolah too. Then have Nolan and (hopefully) a fit Huws ahead of him.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

1 up front.... on 09:48 - Aug 22 with 1366 viewsITFCBlues

Agree 100% regarding Skuse/Chalobah. I think this is part of the issue. We're not getting anyone forward from midfield to support Nolan / Harrison when they do have the ball & we invariably end up giving up possession. We need to get in this striker/wide player that i hope we're chasing as well. Ward was better last night - but not sure that he's got the quality needed for the system we're trying to play.

Last night was fairly poor in all honesty. Could have been effected by Villa. Derby we're equally as bad but just had that little bit of quality that ended up swinging it their way in the end. A shame really - as a more confident side would've beat them easily.

Either way, it's very early days. This is going to take time. A season of transition and slow improvements.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

1 up front.... on 09:54 - Aug 22 with 1330 viewsBasuco

1 up front.... on 09:39 - Aug 22 by JimmyJazz

From what I have seen I would much rather have seen Flynn Downes develop in that position rather than bring in a loanee to develop for someone else, Flynn makes far fewer mistakes and is more effective. Chalobah looks like he has the ability to go much further in the game than Flynn but is behind him at this moment in time, in my opinion of course.
1 up front.... on 09:55 - Aug 22 with 1327 viewsJimmyJazz

1 up front.... on 09:48 - Aug 22 by ITFCBlues

Agree 100% regarding Skuse/Chalobah. I think this is part of the issue. We're not getting anyone forward from midfield to support Nolan / Harrison when they do have the ball & we invariably end up giving up possession. We need to get in this striker/wide player that i hope we're chasing as well. Ward was better last night - but not sure that he's got the quality needed for the system we're trying to play.

Last night was fairly poor in all honesty. Could have been effected by Villa. Derby we're equally as bad but just had that little bit of quality that ended up swinging it their way in the end. A shame really - as a more confident side would've beat them easily.

Either way, it's very early days. This is going to take time. A season of transition and slow improvements.

I was just waiting for MM to be trundled out at the end to say that it was a tight game but we blinked first.

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Login to get fewer ads

1 up front.... on 09:56 - Aug 22 with 1320 viewsSkuse4ballondor

When Huws or Bishop or Dozzell are fit enough I would like them to replace Chalobah. Chalobah is perfectly good but I don't think we need both him and Skuse in the team when we are struggling to score. I would keep Skuse as I believe he's essential to the team, as shown last night when we were definitely worse with out him on. With more attack minded midfielders the likelihood is that our striker will be less isolated. Nydam, even though he's listen for loan, would've been a good option to at least bring off the bench for a bit of creativity and energy especially as he's the only fit centre mid who could come on as a more attacking change.

Add a quality left winger on loan and drop Chalobah for a more attacking minded mid when fit and we'll look a far more threatening side still with one up top.

I couldn't agree more with the defensive line. We should of been pressing them high up as well to exploit their playing out from the back weakness but we just stood off and sat back.
1 up front.... on 09:59 - Aug 22 with 1298 viewsBasuco

1 up front.... on 09:47 - Aug 22 by DanTheMan

I'd play Skuse over Chabolah too. Then have Nolan and (hopefully) a fit Huws ahead of him.

Agree, this team is crying out for a fit Huws which hopefully is not too far away, also Dozzell and Nydam could well play a part.
1 up front.... on 10:02 - Aug 22 with 1273 viewsIpswichKnight

I'm wondering if Rowe will come into his thinking when he's back up to speed? Had a good workout against Hull.
1 up front.... on 10:09 - Aug 22 with 1243 viewsITFCBlues

1 up front.... on 09:54 - Aug 22 by Basuco

From what I have seen I would much rather have seen Flynn Downes develop in that position rather than bring in a loanee to develop for someone else, Flynn makes far fewer mistakes and is more effective. Chalobah looks like he has the ability to go much further in the game than Flynn but is behind him at this moment in time, in my opinion of course.

I don't know what Downes you watch, but Chalobah is much better on the ball than he is, a far more physical presence as well & is generally more developed than Downes is at this stage

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

1 up front.... on 10:09 - Aug 22 with 1239 viewsclogger

Agree, a Bradley Dack or Josh Windass as an attacking Midfielder would generate goals and assists.

I don't see where we have that type of player unless we can mould Folami / Lankaster and that will take time - Huws or Dozzell might work but we need fit players....
1 up front.... on 10:10 - Aug 22 with 1228 viewsReuser_is_God

Witht he Skuse/Chalobah thing I think it's glaringly obvious that the role he wants Skuse to play is perfect for Emyr Huws.

When Huws is back it'll be Chalobah & Skuse fighting for that place in front of the back 4.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

1 up front.... on 10:19 - Aug 22 with 1185 viewsJakeITFC

Was hoping Nolan was that link man, I’ve missed every game since he signed but it doesn’t sound like he is.

Our current shape is set up for a 1-0 - it’s what Shrewsbury did a lot last year but it relies on us converting a few really good chances a game and being clinical enough when they do occur, and it sounds like we aren’t doing much of either atm.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024