Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ambitious? Don't get big Sam 18:34 - Aug 24 with 2554 viewsFarmerpiles

So says Martin Samuel in his Mail column today....

"Sometimes,when one of his former clubs gets into trouble, it's followers are asked,mockingly,whether they regret the loss of Sam Allardyce.
Happens at West Ham,at Newcastle,and at Palace,will no doubt happen at Everton too,if the early promise of the Marco Silva era is not sustained.
The answer, in almost every case, is no.And here's why. This week Allardyce suggested it would be better to get knocked out of Europe. He cited the example of George Burley and Ipswich. Except that was 16yrs ago, and Ipswich didn't go down because they were in the UEFA Cup. They went down because they were Ipswich. They went down in 1964 too, and 1986,and 1995. In fact, Ipswich have spent five of the last 32 seasons in the top division.
So one imagines,the year that they reached the third round of the UEFA Cup , defeating Torpedo Moscow and Helsingborg on the way,before going out to Inter Milan,will be recalled as something of a highlight.
Allardyce would never see it that way,though,which is why he is no longer the manager for a club with ambition.
West Ham have not been able to pull it off,but they are at least trying to look up. Everton too.
By keeping Wilf Zaha this summer, Crystal Palace showed they are now ready to take the next step. Palace have never competed in a major European competition.
That must be a goal surely, just as it should be Burnley's wish to get in the mix in the Europa League group stage and see where it leads.
Definitely, at one point in his career,Allardyce wanted that,too. He talked of being able to manage Real Madrid but settled for Fireman Sam. That's all he can ever be now, because even mid-table clubs have outgrown him"
Ipswich have spent five of the last 32 seasons in the top division. on 18:40 - Aug 24 with 2512 viewsIllinoisblue

I kinda knew it was as bad as that, but didn't really ever let it sink in properly. But there it is; the most damning of statistics.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Ambitious? Don't get big Sam on 18:43 - Aug 24 with 2499 viewsCoco

Quite right. Burley was always striving for us to be better and tell us thats where we should be. Others were happy for us to merely participate whilst telling us we were over achieving.

#SellUpMarcusEvans #LambertOUT // Sent from my iphone - which explains all the felling spuck ups
Poll: When we're finally freed from Mick McCarthy would you like to see Burley as DoF?

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:04 - Aug 24 with 2438 viewsvapour_trail

Ambitious? Don't get big Sam on 18:43 - Aug 24 by Coco

Quite right. Burley was always striving for us to be better and tell us thats where we should be. Others were happy for us to merely participate whilst telling us we were over achieving.

Shame he left our club in such a sorry old state then.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2018 19:05]

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:39 - Aug 24 with 2375 viewsBlueBadger

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:04 - Aug 24 by vapour_trail

I don't think you can blame the collapse of the ITV Digital TV deal and David Sheepshanks' hubris in rebuilding stands on Burley.
Hell, the side he left was plenty good enough to achieve automatic, had we not had the above happen and half of them had to offloaded.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:32 - Aug 24 with 2267 viewsTonyj

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:04 - Aug 24 by vapour_trail

No, I'm newmy
Ambitious? Don't get big Sam on 21:42 - Aug 24 with 2177 viewsBadgerBajner

A lot of ambition has gone out of the game due to the amount of money now involved. Teams sacrificing cup games because league position is more important, whether they are challenging at the top of the league or battling to avoid relegation. It's the fans who lose out.

We should perhaps consider this in our current position. We have shown little ambition for a long time. From owner, to manager to fans, we have accepted treading water, seen us chuck cup games, finish mid table and play unattractive football to grind out the points.

We have brought in a young hungry manager who has had success at the lower levels, signing players he believes can play the way he wants, which may bring us success. There is risk in showing ambition, but wouldn't we rather that than other dull season? We should embrace it and not be panicking after a few weeks where things haven't even got going yet.
(No subject) (n/t) on 21:51 - Aug 24 with 2158 viewsvapour_trail

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:39 - Aug 24 by BlueBadger

I don't think you can blame the collapse of the ITV Digital TV deal and David Sheepshanks' hubris in rebuilding stands on Burley.
Hell, the side he left was plenty good enough to achieve automatic, had we not had the above happen and half of them had to offloaded.

He still fcked the squad up. To identify the final fifteen months of his tenure as anything but catastrophic is impossible.

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:56 - Aug 24 with 2133 viewsjeera

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:51 - Aug 24 by vapour_trail

He still fcked the squad up. To identify the final fifteen months of his tenure as anything but catastrophic is impossible.

Don't hold back there bud.

Bit harsh Vapours!

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Login to get fewer ads

(No subject) (n/t) on 22:17 - Aug 24 with 2078 viewsvapour_trail

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:56 - Aug 24 by jeera

Don't hold back there bud.

Bit harsh Vapours!

Well at least we bounced back.

You alright mate?

(No subject) (n/t) on 22:21 - Aug 24 with 2069 viewsjeera

(No subject) (n/t) on 22:17 - Aug 24 by vapour_trail

Well at least we bounced back.

You alright mate?

Had JR been given the appropriate backing we could have.

I liked George though, and, (minority?), Sheepshanks. I know they screwed up, but they both loved the club and thought they were doing the right things.

I'm not too bad thanks mate. Trust you're keeping out of bother.

You're not on the train, having missed your stop, are you?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

(No subject) (n/t) on 01:32 - Aug 25 with 1931 viewsBlueBadger

(No subject) (n/t) on 22:21 - Aug 24 by jeera

Had JR been given the appropriate backing we could have.

I liked George though, and, (minority?), Sheepshanks. I know they screwed up, but they both loved the club and thought they were doing the right things.

I'm not too bad thanks mate. Trust you're keeping out of bother.

You're not on the train, having missed your stop, are you?

I suspect that had Admin not happened, both Burley AND Royle would have been able to get us back up again.
We weren't, for all the fuss over the shocker to Grimsby, that far off the promotion places when Burley went.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Do we still want KM to be our manager
Blog: From Despair to Where?

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:17 - Aug 25 with 1711 viewspointofblue

(No subject) (n/t) on 21:51 - Aug 24 by vapour_trail

In hindsight the purchases of Sereni and Finidi were awful decisions, upsetting the equilibrium of the squad and shaking the foundation of the team. But we played out of our skins in 2000/2001 and we were never going to be able to repeat that - we just didn’t expect to fall so hard.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:35 - Aug 25 with 1681 viewsElephantintheRoom

(No subject) (n/t) on 11:17 - Aug 25 by pointofblue

In hindsight the purchases of Sereni and Finidi were awful decisions, upsetting the equilibrium of the squad and shaking the foundation of the team. But we played out of our skins in 2000/2001 and we were never going to be able to repeat that - we just didn’t expect to fall so hard.

The problem was a bit more deep seated than that. Burley never knew his best team. On promotion his only significant signing was John Scales, compunding earlier clueless signings like Gary Croft. By serendipity, Hermann slotted in at full back, effectively a happy accident - but he never solved the Johnson Stewart conundrum - and clearly favoured Johnson until a well timed injury saw Stewart come in for the Villa game. Burley got great credit for a spectacular rise that happened despite him rather than because of him. Signing players with 'European Experience' to destroy the team spirit was absurd. What European experience did Town need before they took on Real Madrid? None. Burley's mismanagement of a fine Town team was spectacularly inept - and I dont recall him showing much sense in any of his fortuitous positions after Town and he parted company. He even had the gall to claim compensation - and rather amusingly suffered like the other Town creditors when Town went into administration.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024