Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
DIY Buffs 10:28 - Sep 18 with 1983 viewsSwailsey

Can you help with the name of these vents?

They are in one of my spare rooms, on top of windows which don't open too much. I assume they are for ventilation?

They can't be closed and are on a diagonal, pointing down. Quite big too.

Aside from the cold they let it, I don't mind them too much as it's a room which is mostly for storage so ventilation will be good to stop mould etc.

My question is, are they problematic and will they cause any sort of cold/damp to impact on anything stored in the room? There will be a lot of paperwork/certificates etc which I don't really want damaged.

Thanks and love and etc.

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

DIY Buffs on 10:32 - Sep 18 with 1965 viewsBrianTablet

They are an Anglo-Danish invention called JonJor Chambers and they cannot be closed.

They are designed to let things pass through them by never being quite close enough together.

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

DIY Buffs on 10:39 - Sep 18 with 1947 viewsitfcjoe

They are louvre vents - don't think they'd be ideal for storing stuff as will get very cold in there in the winter

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

DIY Buffs on 10:41 - Sep 18 with 1934 viewsSwailsey

DIY Buffs on 10:39 - Sep 18 by itfcjoe

They are louvre vents - don't think they'd be ideal for storing stuff as will get very cold in there in the winter

Ah ok thanks, that's what I was worried about. Do you mean because of the cold it will let in?

Anything that could be done to help with it (annoyingly it's a perfect storage room other than that), or will I always be fighting it off?

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

DIY Buffs on 10:43 - Sep 18 with 1923 viewsitfcjoe

DIY Buffs on 10:41 - Sep 18 by Swailsey

Ah ok thanks, that's what I was worried about. Do you mean because of the cold it will let in?

Anything that could be done to help with it (annoyingly it's a perfect storage room other than that), or will I always be fighting it off?

It could end up costing money, but just a small storage heater in there and doing something to cover up some of the vents in the cold months may help

DIY Buffs on 10:45 - Sep 18 with 1916 viewsSwailsey

DIY Buffs on 10:43 - Sep 18 by itfcjoe

It could end up costing money, but just a small storage heater in there and doing something to cover up some of the vents in the cold months may help

Noted, thanks.

I wasn't aware that just cold air could cause damage, I always figured that as it was ventilated it would be ok, but I guess it makes sense if the room is always cold?

DIY Buffs on 10:51 - Sep 18 with 1902 viewsitfcjoe

DIY Buffs on 10:45 - Sep 18 by Swailsey

Noted, thanks.

I wasn't aware that just cold air could cause damage, I always figured that as it was ventilated it would be ok, but I guess it makes sense if the room is always cold?

It depends how well insulated the room is - being vented helps but obviously if it gets really cold and stays cold things will get damp no matter the ventilation.

Stuff would probably be ok, but if it is a storage room don't see the need to have such a large vent

DIY Buffs on 11:20 - Sep 18 with 1871 viewsKeno

I would name that vent Nigel

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

DIY Buffs on 12:21 - Sep 18 with 1812 viewsGuthrum

DIY Buffs on 10:39 - Sep 18 by itfcjoe

Altho lack of ventilation is one of the primary causes of surface mould.

But those look rather large for the job.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

DIY Buffs on 12:29 - Sep 18 with 1795 viewsSwailsey

DIY Buffs on 12:21 - Sep 18 by Guthrum

Altho lack of ventilation is one of the primary causes of surface mould.

But those look rather large for the job.

Yeah. I don't want to make things mouldy by trapping air in, but also think they are too big. Would a mesh grille (similar to this) work do you think?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/alfer-16-x-8mm-perforated-stretched-metal-sheet-grill

DIY Buffs on 12:44 - Sep 18 with 1769 viewsGuthrum

DIY Buffs on 12:29 - Sep 18 by Swailsey

Yeah. I don't want to make things mouldy by trapping air in, but also think they are too big. Would a mesh grille (similar to this) work do you think?
https://www.screwfix.com/p/alfer-16-x-8mm-perforated-stretched-metal-sheet-grill

Might be simpler to just block up some of the existing slats, leaving just one or two for ventilation.

Also depends how large the hole on the outside is. If a lot smaller than that louvre, then might not be an issue.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

DIY Buffs on 13:41 - Sep 18 with 1724 viewsSwailsey

DIY Buffs on 12:44 - Sep 18 by Guthrum

Might be simpler to just block up some of the existing slats, leaving just one or two for ventilation.

Also depends how large the hole on the outside is. If a lot smaller than that louvre, then might not be an issue.

Thanks. Am I over thinking the cold air ruining paperwork/pictures/cardboard etc?

DIY Buffs on 13:55 - Sep 18 with 1706 viewsMuncher

DIY Buffs on 13:41 - Sep 18 by Swailsey

Thanks. Am I over thinking the cold air ruining paperwork/pictures/cardboard etc?

Those are the first things that will get ruined by damp!
DIY Buffs on 13:57 - Sep 18 with 1703 viewsSwailsey

DIY Buffs on 13:55 - Sep 18 by Muncher

Those are the first things that will get ruined by damp!

True, but will this contribute towards it? It's a cold room and will have permanently exposed slats (assuming I don't cover them).

DIY Buffs on 14:23 - Sep 18 with 1679 viewsconnorscontract

DIY Buffs on 11:20 - Sep 18 by Keno

I would name that vent Nigel

No, it's both In and Out, Nigel is definitely Out only.

This one is Nigel:

DIY Buffs on 14:55 - Sep 18 with 1651 viewsKeno

DIY Buffs on 14:23 - Sep 18 by connorscontract

No, it's both In and Out, Nigel is definitely Out only.

This one is Nigel:

Smooth shinny light bounces off of it

surely that called Philip

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

DIY Buffs on 15:20 - Sep 18 with 1631 viewsconnorscontract

DIY Buffs on 14:55 - Sep 18 by Keno

Smooth shinny light bounces off of it

surely that called Philip

Ironic that the Banhammer might get an outing as a result of a DIY thread...
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024