Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So it has come to this, the Paul Hurst sh!tshow - thoughts on today 23:12 - Sep 22 with 1973 viewsLankHenners

I've taken the phrase 'then the sh!t will hit the fan' to be a preemptive expression, indicating that something must be acted on quickly to avoid a disaster. I'm concerned right now that so much fecal matter is going to be built up in Town's Dyson that we'll be suffocating on poo particles long after someone pulls the plug.

I was going to do a 'proper' match report on today's proceedings but there's not much point is there? I'll just try and put what I saw today among everything else we've been witnesses to since what seemed like a bright new dawn a mere few months ago.

Just leave it. Just leave it alone. You don't need to stick a CB at RB because you want to cram everyone in. Let Big Boy Janoi continue to develop (that's why you brought him in, dumb dumb) and either make Nsiala the unfortunate casualty of circumstance or put faith in him as your first choice partner for Chambers and step Pennington down. Don't go being a daft bugg*r and play all 3 in a back 4. We've seen enough of that thanks.

We stuttered along to start with, I guess. Bolton as agricultural as you can get with their 'they can't score if the ball's in the stands' mantra, Town struggling to put them under any real pressure. The big lad Magennis was a handful but Chambers dealt with him expertly.

The sending off looked clear but they say it was harsh. On one of the few occasions we ulilised Jackson's pace he broke away from Wilson and the experienced defender did all he could do and seemed unsurprised when the ref told him to march off.

What better opportunity to get a win. What would it say about us if we couldn't manage to find a goal now? They'd gone to a 4-4-1 which was essentially an 8-1 given the microscopic space between their defence and midfield. Just keep knocking, the door won't hold for ever.

A few neat touches, the odd nice bit of play but no real chances created. In the second half Nsiala should have done better with a header right in front of goal and Chambers was left stunned when Alnwick made the one (great) save he had to make all game from a flicked effort off his skull.

But it was all too slow, all too ponderous, no hunger, no belief, no confidence.

Edun showed why he should start, but instead of Hurst's main man Nolan. Always looking for runs that weren't being made and a desire to play forward which wasn't always matched by his teammates.

Likewise Skuse tried to get things moving, offering to take the ball off the back four (essentially 2 as Bolton had sat so deep Pennington and Knudsen were RM and LM to Ward and Edward's RW and LW) and go forwards, almost working his way into the box with a couple of neat 1-2s that forced a desperate last ditch slide to prevent the cool customer from being an unlikely goalscoring hero. Alas we didn't do much more of that, and Hurst then delivered the killing blow on his own team.

He removed Skuse along with Ward (1 good game in an anonymous handful for him isn't it?) for Graham and Walters, leaving a flat middle of 2 of Edun and Nolan. Bolton immediately saw that that weakened our midfield and started to get more of the ball, almost forcing themselves into our box and even won a couple of corners.

That was a sign of panic. Hurst was worrying and through all his attacking options on like a desperate Football Manager player who has become frustrated with the hours clicking away at the subtle in-game tactics mechanics not producing any results. The tiny twosome had to do the work of their silver-bearded veteran plus their own, which in Nolan's case had been hiding from the ball or hurriedly kicking it away when he did have it. It was never going to work and the players seemed to have no clue.

Walters screamed for the ball in a burst of pace which saw him crumple to the floor and nestle his head in the shoulder of the physio. What a stupid risk. All the talk of sports science and fitness and being properly prepared and you allow the chance for that to happen. Now it was 10 v 10 and a waste of time.

Booed off. Town players flop to the floor. Nsiala contorts his face in pain and slaps his head. They know it. We all know it.

All in all we forced one decent save out of a 10-man team of donkeys.

He's changed too much. Yes we had players that needed replacing but so much untried raw potential thrown together and then chopped and changed about until they know not what to do or where to go. No bravery, no leaders bar the lion-hearted Chambers who today showed how vital he has now become and how I feel for him because he was part of such a solid team needing a refresh and getting a wrecking.

How much longer does he have? We've had the 'easier' games where we needed to pick up points but faffed around and haven't proven anything to ourselves other than this is harder than almost anyone imagined.

We haven't been able to build on any bit of promise (Villa, 2nd half Brentford, start of 2nd half Norwich). It just evaporates as soon as the whistle blows.

For all the sneering and patronising the 'be careful what you wish for' media types had a point. They missed a big one though - Mick had to go, and Hurst seemed like a perfect replacement. He ticked a lot of boxes and said all the right things.

On the pitch things are bad, from increasingly strong rumours they could well be worse off it. People said Mick thought he was bigger than the club. Just one example of all the negative boll0cks people said about Mick that might actually be more true for little and large.

So, again, how much longer does he have? You'd think by Christmas if we're like this get rid but if we're still like this then it'll be too late. Even if he went and someone else came in and calmed it all down, they'd still be left with the same group of players unable to shut out a 1-0 lead or force a goal against 10 men. Still, maybe if they actually just put their best players in a settled side...

Hurst started a project, but he saw the finished product shine in his greedy eyes before he even completed the first draft.

They say to go down fighting. But we don't have any fight.

D'you reckon Cardiff might sack Warnock soon?

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

So it has come to this, the Paul Hurst sh!tshow - thoughts on today on 00:19 - Sep 23 with 1859 viewsGarv

Jeez you sound like a barrel of laughs!

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

So it has come to this, the Paul Hurst sh!tshow - thoughts on today on 01:00 - Sep 23 with 1779 viewsJimmyJazz

So it has come to this, the Paul Hurst sh!tshow - thoughts on today on 00:19 - Sep 23 by Garv

Jeez you sound like a barrel of laughs!

You find our situation funny?

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

So it has come to this, the Paul Hurst sh!tshow - thoughts on today on 01:17 - Sep 23 with 1757 viewsRyorry

I appreciate your long report, but how can you say

"Booed off. Town players flop to the floor. Nsiala contorts his face in pain and slaps his head. They know it. We all know it."

and then say in your penultimate para

" But we don't have any fight."

The two seem contradictory?

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

So it has come to this, the Paul Hurst sh!tshow - thoughts on today on 08:50 - Sep 23 with 1597 viewsLankHenners

So it has come to this, the Paul Hurst sh!tshow - thoughts on today on 01:17 - Sep 23 by Ryorry

I appreciate your long report, but how can you say

"Booed off. Town players flop to the floor. Nsiala contorts his face in pain and slaps his head. They know it. We all know it."

and then say in your penultimate para

" But we don't have any fight."

The two seem contradictory?

How on earth are they contradictory?

So it has come to this, the Paul Hurst sh!tshow - thoughts on today on 09:27 - Sep 23 with 1509 viewsHerbivore

I don't think there's a lack of fight personally, I think there's a lack of confidence that's being exacerbated by the constant changes of personnel and system. Like you I was baffled by the decision to play Pennington at right back and drop Donacien. Pennington isn't a full back and whilst he was willing he didn't offer anything like the threat that Jonas does on the opposite side and his lack of quality on the ball showed. He's a good centre back, either play him there or have the stones to put him on the bench.

I do feel that the way we're set up means we're going to struggle against sides that park the bus or pack the midfield. Our best home performances were in our two toughest home games, we've looked ordinary or worse in the others. I think we need sides to commit a few bodies forward to leave us gaps to exploit, yesterday we looked clueless against two solid banks of four. It was all so slow and ponderous and it was hard to see how we were trying to play to actually get a goal and win the game.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2018 9:39]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

So it has come to this, the Paul Hurst sh!tshow - thoughts on today on 09:53 - Sep 23 with 1457 viewsLankHenners

So it has come to this, the Paul Hurst sh!tshow - thoughts on today on 09:27 - Sep 23 by Herbivore

I don't think there's a lack of fight personally, I think there's a lack of confidence that's being exacerbated by the constant changes of personnel and system. Like you I was baffled by the decision to play Pennington at right back and drop Donacien. Pennington isn't a full back and whilst he was willing he didn't offer anything like the threat that Jonas does on the opposite side and his lack of quality on the ball showed. He's a good centre back, either play him there or have the stones to put him on the bench.

I do feel that the way we're set up means we're going to struggle against sides that park the bus or pack the midfield. Our best home performances were in our two toughest home games, we've looked ordinary or worse in the others. I think we need sides to commit a few bodies forward to leave us gaps to exploit, yesterday we looked clueless against two solid banks of four. It was all so slow and ponderous and it was hard to see how we were trying to play to actually get a goal and win the game.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2018 9:39]

I know I'm almost in the dangerous territory of accusing players of having 'no pashun' or 'not wanting it' but I'm thinking more in terms of we're not doing things like pressing high up, committing bodies forward etc. enough. Skuse and Edun were the only two who looked like they had any real impetus in their play and were let down by the players in front of them and then again with Hurst's crazy substitutions. Edwards managed to get some crosses in but they weren't of good enough quality.

Agreed that it looks like we're going to find it difficult against teams who play like that (Bolton took it to an extreme of course with 10 men) which is a worry as a good amount of teams will naturally play similarly away from home. We seemed frightened to risk losing the ball by trying to play a longer one to turn their defence. Yes it was harder to use Jackson's pace when they were camped on the edge of their own box but that one run by Walters which saw him injure himself was something missing completely that we needed to do far more often.

So it has come to this, the Paul Hurst sh!tshow - thoughts on today on 10:23 - Sep 23 with 1392 viewsbadadski

So it has come to this, the Paul Hurst sh!tshow - thoughts on today on 09:53 - Sep 23 by LankHenners

I know I'm almost in the dangerous territory of accusing players of having 'no pashun' or 'not wanting it' but I'm thinking more in terms of we're not doing things like pressing high up, committing bodies forward etc. enough. Skuse and Edun were the only two who looked like they had any real impetus in their play and were let down by the players in front of them and then again with Hurst's crazy substitutions. Edwards managed to get some crosses in but they weren't of good enough quality.

Agreed that it looks like we're going to find it difficult against teams who play like that (Bolton took it to an extreme of course with 10 men) which is a worry as a good amount of teams will naturally play similarly away from home. We seemed frightened to risk losing the ball by trying to play a longer one to turn their defence. Yes it was harder to use Jackson's pace when they were camped on the edge of their own box but that one run by Walters which saw him injure himself was something missing completely that we needed to do far more often.

No lack of fight or passion. We have all of that, Skuse before going off looked like he watched the Magilton vs Bolton clips and was doing his best to inspire. Chambers I am first to criticise was brilliant apart from the quick free kick that almost created a chance for them.
I think lack of confidence and lack of ability is the main problem. The gulf in player ability is becoming bigger and bigger and more noticeable as the seasons past with the big boys and parachute paynent clubs creating almost a mini league that can't be competed with on a consistent basis. You will have the one win here and there but now with no risk comes no reward and before long we will be a division down.

Wards corners were crap, something about Grants not being able to take corners springs to mind as we have a leadbitter mark 2. Lots of wing wizardry going to waste time and time again beating the main then crossing and finding the forehead of the first defender. Regardless of even if it did beat the first defender we didn't have anyone in the box any way. Nolan is not a number 10, he was poor in fact, what he cost is getting him down as he is now trying to get his confidence back but I don't think has the ability to do in this league what he did in the lower divisions. Chambers and knudsen were trying to g up the lads and we're both good throughout. Toto should have done better with his header and was giving away fouls when we were in dangerous areas by doing his best frank nouble impressions and allowing them to clear there lines.
All in all a pretty depressing time especially when we have so many youngsters scoring freely in the under 23's. El mizouni, Rowe, Morris, langster, dozell, Hews, bishop all whipping it up when they play so I think now is the time for hurst to try something that he promised from the start of his tenure. Develop our players and not stick with playing with random players outside of their natural positions to fit them in the team which will fail time and time again.
So it has come to this, the Paul Hurst sh!tshow - thoughts on today on 10:36 - Sep 23 with 1344 viewsReuser_is_God

I don’t know anymore.

All I know is that we’re fcuking sh1t.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Login to get fewer ads

So it has come to this, the Paul Hurst sh!tshow - thoughts on today on 13:42 - Sep 23 with 1204 viewsLankHenners

So it has come to this, the Paul Hurst sh!tshow - thoughts on today on 10:23 - Sep 23 by badadski

No lack of fight or passion. We have all of that, Skuse before going off looked like he watched the Magilton vs Bolton clips and was doing his best to inspire. Chambers I am first to criticise was brilliant apart from the quick free kick that almost created a chance for them.
I think lack of confidence and lack of ability is the main problem. The gulf in player ability is becoming bigger and bigger and more noticeable as the seasons past with the big boys and parachute paynent clubs creating almost a mini league that can't be competed with on a consistent basis. You will have the one win here and there but now with no risk comes no reward and before long we will be a division down.

Wards corners were crap, something about Grants not being able to take corners springs to mind as we have a leadbitter mark 2. Lots of wing wizardry going to waste time and time again beating the main then crossing and finding the forehead of the first defender. Regardless of even if it did beat the first defender we didn't have anyone in the box any way. Nolan is not a number 10, he was poor in fact, what he cost is getting him down as he is now trying to get his confidence back but I don't think has the ability to do in this league what he did in the lower divisions. Chambers and knudsen were trying to g up the lads and we're both good throughout. Toto should have done better with his header and was giving away fouls when we were in dangerous areas by doing his best frank nouble impressions and allowing them to clear there lines.
All in all a pretty depressing time especially when we have so many youngsters scoring freely in the under 23's. El mizouni, Rowe, Morris, langster, dozell, Hews, bishop all whipping it up when they play so I think now is the time for hurst to try something that he promised from the start of his tenure. Develop our players and not stick with playing with random players outside of their natural positions to fit them in the team which will fail time and time again.

Well yes you often hear about limited teams being more than the sum of their parts due to playing with great confidence. Problem is we're a limited team completely shot of confidence. Unfortunately for Hurst the players he picked needed to step up to Championship level immediately but that hasn't really happened (Edwards the stand out, Nsiala looks solid, Donacien and Jackson have something about them but the former is bizarrely being left out and the latter has real promise but isn't a Championship level striker yet, and nor should we really expect him to be). It was never going to happen.

Ward's set piece deliveries are a defender's dream - very floaty, no power, not put into a dangerous area, easy to clear. A shame as he looked very bright 2nd half on Tuesday but can't seem to even put 2 good games together let alone a little run.

Hurst needs to stick with a settled, balanced side that has his best players in it. Well, he should have done but his messing around before and during games is costing us - the players have no time to really get to know each other or themselves in terms of where they need to be and what they need to do. They've been underappreciated for years but Chambers and Skuse shouldn't be standing out this much.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024