Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Too early to panic? 08:28 - Sep 27 with 1636 viewsOldsmoker

Good page of stats from EADT this morning.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/stats-which-show-it-s-too-early-for-town-to-panic-1-

It suggests (to me) that 16 games (1/3rd of season) is when we can hit the panic button but even then teams have survived (just).

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Too early to panic? on 09:09 - Sep 27 with 1532 viewsGuthrum

Good stats, those.

But, by the time of the 16th game, Town will have to be showing some signs of improvement.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Too early to panic? on 12:17 - Sep 27 with 1386 viewsOldsmoker

Too early to panic? on 09:09 - Sep 27 by Guthrum

Good stats, those.

But, by the time of the 16th game, Town will have to be showing some signs of improvement.

I agree. Signs of improvement is a given because we're coming from such a low base. Our first away point or first home win is improvement and I expect both those to happen before 16 games have elapsed.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Too early to panic? on 12:32 - Sep 27 with 1317 viewsSlambo

This is good to know...but my main concern is still the off field issues. If everything was calm and harmonious behind the scenes, then I'd be very confident of us pulling ourselves out of the rut...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Too early to panic? on 12:38 - Sep 27 with 1298 viewsPositivelyPortman

Too early to panic? on 12:32 - Sep 27 by Slambo

This is good to know...but my main concern is still the off field issues. If everything was calm and harmonious behind the scenes, then I'd be very confident of us pulling ourselves out of the rut...

Rumours.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

Too early to panic? on 12:46 - Sep 27 with 1281 viewsmo_itfc

A lot of stats do show us in a better light that the league table!

The main one for me is:
Shots on Target Conceded.

We have conceded 29 shots at our goal, joint best in the league (with Bristol City & Middlesbrough). This means our defence is doing their job! and well! It also highlights why Bart has been dropped. we have the worst goals conceded to shots conceded ratio! by far. In 2 games this season, the opposition registered 0 shots on target which were saved, which means that it might have been better to replace the goalie with Sears and play 4-4-3...

I hoping whatever is happening between the goal posts get sorted! and sorted fast! once that's done, Portman Road will be a fortress again, where teams will come and not score goals!

shame we can't really score any goals at the moment... all well and good if we get to the point where we aren't conceded... but we won't win a game until we start scoring!

Poll: Now that The Athletic has an article, is this takeover actually happening?

Too early to panic? on 13:21 - Sep 27 with 1227 viewsBinner

If we want to seek portents in statistics then perhaps we should be looking at our supposed goal scorers' records.

We are all aware of Freddie's record down the years but he, at least, has experience at this level. Plus he spent a lot of time as wide player rather than striker and he does hold the ball up and bring others into play. We know that an in-form Sears is a decent Championship player.

Jackson (26) and Harrison (24) are lower league journeymen.

Jackson's goal scoring is slightly worse than a goal per 4 games at League 2 and non-league level over 170 plus games. Many of those with a high-flying team playing, presumably, with confidence. Why would anyone expect him to score more freely at a higher level? Against higher quality defenders I would expect maybe 6 goals if he played all season.

Harrison's goals per game is similarly slightly worse than one in 4 though he played a lot more games in League 1 for a team more likely to be struggling. He is also younger and may therefore have more potential for improvement.

In my view, based on their relative experience, Harrison is a marginally better bet than Jackson though if we play just one striker, I'd like to work on Sears's confidence and give him a run in the team.

Frankly, I think we are up the Creek. We are barely creating chances and we don't have the players to convert the few scraps. And, up to now, our manager doesn't appear to have the nous to improve things.

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Too early to panic? on 13:52 - Sep 27 with 1179 viewsreusersfreekicks

Too early to panic? on 13:21 - Sep 27 by Binner

If we want to seek portents in statistics then perhaps we should be looking at our supposed goal scorers' records.

We are all aware of Freddie's record down the years but he, at least, has experience at this level. Plus he spent a lot of time as wide player rather than striker and he does hold the ball up and bring others into play. We know that an in-form Sears is a decent Championship player.

Jackson (26) and Harrison (24) are lower league journeymen.

Jackson's goal scoring is slightly worse than a goal per 4 games at League 2 and non-league level over 170 plus games. Many of those with a high-flying team playing, presumably, with confidence. Why would anyone expect him to score more freely at a higher level? Against higher quality defenders I would expect maybe 6 goals if he played all season.

Harrison's goals per game is similarly slightly worse than one in 4 though he played a lot more games in League 1 for a team more likely to be struggling. He is also younger and may therefore have more potential for improvement.

In my view, based on their relative experience, Harrison is a marginally better bet than Jackson though if we play just one striker, I'd like to work on Sears's confidence and give him a run in the team.

Frankly, I think we are up the Creek. We are barely creating chances and we don't have the players to convert the few scraps. And, up to now, our manager doesn't appear to have the nous to improve things.

Sears on his own up front would be pointless. He spent time doing that pre-season against Crawley when we looked half decent and he barely got a touch
Too early to panic? on 13:59 - Sep 27 with 1154 viewsBinner

Too early to panic? on 13:52 - Sep 27 by reusersfreekicks

Sears on his own up front would be pointless. He spent time doing that pre-season against Crawley when we looked half decent and he barely got a touch

I don't disagree. But nor do I see the others as better options which is why I wrote that we are up the creek. Possibly play 4-4-2 with Sears alongside Harrison?

Poll: Last game of the season. You need to win. Would you rather be...

Login to get fewer ads

Too early to panic? on 14:15 - Sep 27 with 1122 viewsVaughan8

Too early to panic? on 12:46 - Sep 27 by mo_itfc

A lot of stats do show us in a better light that the league table!

The main one for me is:
Shots on Target Conceded.

We have conceded 29 shots at our goal, joint best in the league (with Bristol City & Middlesbrough). This means our defence is doing their job! and well! It also highlights why Bart has been dropped. we have the worst goals conceded to shots conceded ratio! by far. In 2 games this season, the opposition registered 0 shots on target which were saved, which means that it might have been better to replace the goalie with Sears and play 4-4-3...

I hoping whatever is happening between the goal posts get sorted! and sorted fast! once that's done, Portman Road will be a fortress again, where teams will come and not score goals!

shame we can't really score any goals at the moment... all well and good if we get to the point where we aren't conceded... but we won't win a game until we start scoring!

Its all very well being good at the back, but if you cannot score goals, you are not going to win games...……

I'd rather be worse at the back, but guaranteed (pretty much) to score 1 or 2 a game. You are bound to have games where the opposition blow chances etc.

However, we just have to sit and hope it gets better
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024