Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
And what a season it was 20:44 - Oct 9 with 2381 viewssimmo1991

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6240761/Top-10-best-Premier-L
And what a season it was on 20:47 - Oct 9 with 2338 viewsBluespeed225

Some names from the past there! Coppel, Jewel, Clarke! Clarke!
And what a season it was on 21:01 - Oct 9 with 2301 viewsLord_Lucan

But this is what infuriates me.

It says nothing about teams that have won the title after promotion from the 2nd tier.

Premier League? The Emperor’s New Clothes springs to mind.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

And what a season it was on 21:10 - Oct 9 with 2252 viewsIllinoisblue

Wolves Run Riot screams the headline. LOL.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

And what a season it was on 21:29 - Oct 9 with 2203 viewsPJH

And what a season it was on 21:01 - Oct 9 by Lord_Lucan

But this is what infuriates me.

It says nothing about teams that have won the title after promotion from the 2nd tier.

Premier League? The Emperor’s New Clothes springs to mind.

Agree.

The impression that nothing BS(Before SKY) counts in English football winds me up to.

What Sir Alf and his little band of merry men achieved in 1961/62 has not been matched since and can never be surpassed.
And what a season it was on 21:44 - Oct 9 with 2156 viewsLord_Lucan

And what a season it was on 21:29 - Oct 9 by PJH

Agree.

The impression that nothing BS(Before SKY) counts in English football winds me up to.

What Sir Alf and his little band of merry men achieved in 1961/62 has not been matched since and can never be surpassed.

Well Forest did it in 77/78 but apart from that I agree.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

And what a season it was on 21:47 - Oct 9 with 2147 viewsPJH

And what a season it was on 21:44 - Oct 9 by Lord_Lucan

Well Forest did it in 77/78 but apart from that I agree.

I know but that was not their first ever season in the top division so in my view what we achieved in 1961/62 tops that.
And what a season it was on 21:52 - Oct 9 with 2131 viewsLord_Lucan

And what a season it was on 21:47 - Oct 9 by PJH

I know but that was not their first ever season in the top division so in my view what we achieved in 1961/62 tops that.

Fair enough.

The thing that gets me is when people think The Premier League is better...............it really isn't.

What would these players do now with a wet ball on a muddy pitch after 60 odd games in a season?

Take players like Frank Worthington and Stan Bowles, they played for lowly teams but were an absolute joy to watch.

It's worse now.

And what a season it was on 21:57 - Oct 9 with 2115 viewsPJH

And what a season it was on 21:52 - Oct 9 by Lord_Lucan

Fair enough.

The thing that gets me is when people think The Premier League is better...............it really isn't.

What would these players do now with a wet ball on a muddy pitch after 60 odd games in a season?

Take players like Frank Worthington and Stan Bowles, they played for lowly teams but were an absolute joy to watch.

It's worse now.

Yes, I think the 1970's were the golden age of English league football.

Most teams in the top division had those sort of maverick players and the battles between those sort of players and the hard men with their crunching tackles when tackling was allowed was a joy to watch.

I really do get nostalgic about how football was back then and I think it was far more of a spectacle and an entertainment in those days.
Login to get fewer ads

And what a season it was on 22:05 - Oct 9 with 2090 viewsLord_Lucan

And what a season it was on 21:57 - Oct 9 by PJH

Yes, I think the 1970's were the golden age of English league football.

Most teams in the top division had those sort of maverick players and the battles between those sort of players and the hard men with their crunching tackles when tackling was allowed was a joy to watch.

I really do get nostalgic about how football was back then and I think it was far more of a spectacle and an entertainment in those days.

Football is sh1t these days, the whole thing is a bunch of cr4p.

And what a season it was on 22:23 - Oct 9 with 2028 viewsPJH

And what a season it was on 22:05 - Oct 9 by Lord_Lucan

I have got a book which is a nostalgic look at the football of the 1970's entitled "Best,Pele And A Half Time Bovril" that although it contains two or three factual errors that I have spotted is well worth a read.
And what a season it was on 22:46 - Oct 9 with 1983 viewsFootballpete

And what a season it was on 22:05 - Oct 9 by Lord_Lucan

Agree, and that’s why I fear we’ll never achieve a great deal again. In the past our success was built on a perfect storm of great young players combined with an exceptional manager with great foresight. These days success comes from a dubious billionaire owner giving you an unfair advantage. Will there ever be a club compete with the very best in the the way Town, QPR, Forest, Watford, and even (cough) Norwich did? I doubt it.

Poll: Which Top Gear presenter is the biggest dickhead?

And what a season it was on 23:11 - Oct 9 with 1927 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

And what a season it was on 22:46 - Oct 9 by Footballpete

Agree, and that’s why I fear we’ll never achieve a great deal again. In the past our success was built on a perfect storm of great young players combined with an exceptional manager with great foresight. These days success comes from a dubious billionaire owner giving you an unfair advantage. Will there ever be a club compete with the very best in the the way Town, QPR, Forest, Watford, and even (cough) Norwich did? I doubt it.

Leicester...

Despite that unbelievable anomaly, I do agree with the general point

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

And what a season it was on 23:26 - Oct 9 with 1912 viewsFootballpete

And what a season it was on 23:11 - Oct 9 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Leicester...

Leicester were the exception of course, and I did love that they won the league. But they haven’t been right up there for more than one season, and the fact that it was an absolute shock shows how football has changed for the worse. Even the championship is a willy wobbling contest for owners with more money than sense. Unfortunately for us our owner has put his back in his trousers.

Poll: Which Top Gear presenter is the biggest dickhead?

And what a season it was on 06:21 - Oct 10 with 1749 viewsFtnfwest

And what a season it was on 23:11 - Oct 9 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Leicester...

Even they had to be the 24th richest club in the world at the time to win it
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024