Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
for those of you who like to share and like stuff online without thinking 16:18 - Nov 19 with 1694 viewsIllinoisblue

here you go: https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/nothing-on-this-page-is-real-how-lies-be
[Post edited 19 Nov 2018 16:18]

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

for those of you who like to share and like stuff online without thinking on 16:36 - Nov 19 with 1625 viewsHerbivore

It's pretty terrifying really. You can't reason with prejudice.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

for those of you who like to share and like stuff online without thinking on 16:43 - Nov 19 with 1619 viewsfactual_blue

Hang on....if nothing on that page is real, then surely the whole story is made up?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

for those of you who like to share and like stuff online without thinking on 16:58 - Nov 19 with 1601 viewsSteve_M

Is becoming increasingly clear that, after learning to read and write, understanding how to weigh up sources is one of the most important skills everyone would benefit from.

A good piece that, depressing though. The first bloke doesn't seem to have much more awareness than the lady if he has no idea of the consequences of his actions.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

for those of you who like to share and like stuff online without thinking on 17:12 - Nov 19 with 1573 viewsIllinoisblue

for those of you who like to share and like stuff online without thinking on 16:36 - Nov 19 by Herbivore

It's pretty terrifying really. You can't reason with prejudice.

you really can't. Not to call her out, but my own mother recently posted/shared an idiotic Muslim/Tesco meme. When I pointed out the fact it wasn't true her reply was "well it might have been." And that is where we're at, folks. It's actually quite frightening.

62 - 78 - 81

for those of you who like to share and like stuff online without thinking on 17:39 - Nov 19 with 1513 viewsDanTheMan

for those of you who like to share and like stuff online without thinking on 17:12 - Nov 19 by Illinoisblue

you really can't. Not to call her out, but my own mother recently posted/shared an idiotic Muslim/Tesco meme. When I pointed out the fact it wasn't true her reply was "well it might have been." And that is where we're at, folks. It's actually quite frightening.

That's it really. You'd like to think people would reflect but you tend to find they just double down.

The only thing I've ever seen that works is just to keep basically asking "why do you think that?" until they literally can't come up with a reason.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

for those of you who like to share and like stuff online without thinking on 18:04 - Nov 19 with 1482 viewsfactual_blue

for those of you who like to share and like stuff online without thinking on 17:39 - Nov 19 by DanTheMan

That's it really. You'd like to think people would reflect but you tend to find they just double down.

The only thing I've ever seen that works is just to keep basically asking "why do you think that?" until they literally can't come up with a reason.

'The five whys' - a technique from the Lean management toolkit. If you can't get the proper explanation about something after asking no more than five 'why?' questions, the explanation is that whatever they're doing is pointless.

for those of you who like to share and like stuff online without thinking on 18:11 - Nov 19 with 1472 viewsDanTheMan

for those of you who like to share and like stuff online without thinking on 18:04 - Nov 19 by factual_blue

'The five whys' - a technique from the Lean management toolkit. If you can't get the proper explanation about something after asking no more than five 'why?' questions, the explanation is that whatever they're doing is pointless.

We use that for RCAs at work.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

for those of you who like to share and like stuff online without thinking on 18:15 - Nov 19 with 1464 viewsfactual_blue

for those of you who like to share and like stuff online without thinking on 18:11 - Nov 19 by DanTheMan

We use that for RCAs at work.

I feel dirty just talking about work stuff. But I blame Managementspeak Colin, who I saw but avoided in Tesco the other day.

Login to get fewer ads

for those of you who like to share and like stuff online without thinking on 18:45 - Nov 19 with 1436 viewsDarth_Koont

That's deeply depressing.

I must admit that I didn't think the Internet was going to make people more isolated in their views and more ignorant. There's almost all the information and truth known to mankind on there if you want to find it, but some people seem to prefer stories about "reality" instead. Hopefully that's just a particular subset of people and not a growing tendency.

Pronouns: He/Him

for those of you who like to share and like stuff online without thinking on 18:59 - Nov 19 with 1425 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

I was listening to a pod cast with Yuval Noah Harari this morning and he was saying that many of these memes are simply designed to polarise society, not necessarily to push one particular view over another. What they do is use the information that Facebook holds about you to target your existing prejudices with stories you are more likely to share. This results in you establishing a stronger and stronger bias making it harder for you to find common ground with those on the other side of the argument. His advice was that anytime you read something that you agree with check the sources extra carefully regardless of your political affiliations.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

for those of you who like to share and like stuff online without thinking on 19:39 - Nov 19 with 1366 viewsIllinoisblue

for those of you who like to share and like stuff online without thinking on 18:59 - Nov 19 by Charlie_pl_baxter

I was listening to a pod cast with Yuval Noah Harari this morning and he was saying that many of these memes are simply designed to polarise society, not necessarily to push one particular view over another. What they do is use the information that Facebook holds about you to target your existing prejudices with stories you are more likely to share. This results in you establishing a stronger and stronger bias making it harder for you to find common ground with those on the other side of the argument. His advice was that anytime you read something that you agree with check the sources extra carefully regardless of your political affiliations.

the internet and in particular social media will be the downfall of civilization

62 - 78 - 81

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024