Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fraser, Lawrence, Williams, Connolly, Carter-Vickers, Chalobah, Pennington 13:25 - Dec 23 with 2192 viewsJack27

I understand the whole financial fair play argument...but as a businessman I'm surprised Marcus Evans didn't show a bit more trust and ambition with MM. If you look at the players we've had on loan, all bar Ryan Fraser I think we probably had/have a chance of signing all of them. I know it would knock our transfer structure out of the water...but they're all young players with prospects and therefore a higher return. I'll skip Fraser because I don't think Bournemouth would sell...but Tom Lawrence moved to Derby for an initial fee of £5m. Ok - it's a lot of money...but an investment with the potential to command a huge transfer fee. Jonny Williams - an obvious talent albeit with an injury record...but his market value will only be around £1m and if we could have got him injury free would have been brilliant. Cameron Carter-Vickers...Tottenham rate him highly but realistically will he get into their first-team? Probably not. He fits us well having failed at other clubs. What would he cost to sign? Perhaps a decent fee with a sell-on percentage? Perhaps even a condition that Spurs could sign him back if they had doubts of selling? Chalobah is another player with huge potential who probably won't ever make the First -Team of his parent club. He might cost more money than we have...but my point is again the investment...what you pay compared to what you could sell for in years to come raises the argument of is it worth the risk? Callum Connolly from Everton...he'll never get a game there with their recent investment and in my opinion he was great here. He certainly wouldn't break the bank. Matthew Pennington falls into the same category. You show this kind of ambition and players such as Waghorn and Webster wouldn't necessarily want to leave. I know I haven't mentioned wages and clearly these players are on more money than we'd want to offer but we're not talking about Sanchez, Messi, Ronaldo wages...just what other Championship teams (albeit with parachute payments) are willing to pay.

Conclusion - I know I'm being a touch unrealistic BUT we're allowed to dream about what could have been, right?

Fraser, Lawrence, Williams, Connolly, Carter-Vickers, Chalobah, Pennington on 13:37 - Dec 23 with 2126 viewsVaughan8

The first two were a non starter. Lawrence was our of our price range. £5m might not seem a lot but what wages is he on. That's probably more the thing. If he was on £10k a week then maybe, but I'm guessing he's on a 3 or 4 or more times that.

Of the others, I thought Connolly did ok last season, but Hurst clearly wanted his own players.

I can imagine Chelsea would want way over the odds for Chalobah and in my opinion isnt very good....

Carter Vickers and Pennington might still be wanted by their parents clubs so again would be out of our price range if that was the case.
Fraser, Lawrence, Williams, Connolly, Carter-Vickers, Chalobah, Pennington on 13:46 - Dec 23 with 2090 viewsagentp

Fraser was not out of the question when we signed him. At that time he was a very low earner at Bournemouth and a tempting bid may have secured him. It's a hindsight argument though.

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

Fraser, Lawrence, Williams, Connolly, Carter-Vickers, Chalobah, Pennington on 13:52 - Dec 23 with 2071 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Fraser, Lawrence, Williams, Connolly, Carter-Vickers, Chalobah, Pennington on 13:46 - Dec 23 by agentp

Fraser was not out of the question when we signed him. At that time he was a very low earner at Bournemouth and a tempting bid may have secured him. It's a hindsight argument though.

I very much doubt it. Bournemouth always was seen as a future first team player for them from the moment he came on loan.

WIlliams would have been a repeat of the disaster that has been every injury-prone player we did sign. It was because he was out long term that we never showed any interest.

Presumably MM made a decision on Connolly and Carter-Vickers but changing manager may have meant he didn't get to.

Who knows what we might or might not do with the other two. Personally, I don't see them making it at their parent clubs so they would probably be available for multi-million pound fees. Would they be worth those fees though? Maybe given enough time (by which time we may need to have moved them on again).

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Fraser, Lawrence, Williams, Connolly, Carter-Vickers, Chalobah, Pennington on 14:05 - Dec 23 with 2037 viewsParisBlue

Fraser, Lawrence, Williams, Connolly, Carter-Vickers, Chalobah, Pennington on 13:52 - Dec 23 by Nthsuffolkblue

I very much doubt it. Bournemouth always was seen as a future first team player for them from the moment he came on loan.

WIlliams would have been a repeat of the disaster that has been every injury-prone player we did sign. It was because he was out long term that we never showed any interest.

Presumably MM made a decision on Connolly and Carter-Vickers but changing manager may have meant he didn't get to.

Who knows what we might or might not do with the other two. Personally, I don't see them making it at their parent clubs so they would probably be available for multi-million pound fees. Would they be worth those fees though? Maybe given enough time (by which time we may need to have moved them on again).

You can add Huws to that list, except we did sign him and he’s been injured pretty much ever since.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Fraser, Lawrence, Williams, Connolly, Carter-Vickers, Chalobah, Pennington on 14:12 - Dec 23 with 2014 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Fraser, Lawrence, Williams, Connolly, Carter-Vickers, Chalobah, Pennington on 14:05 - Dec 23 by ParisBlue

You can add Huws to that list, except we did sign him and he’s been injured pretty much ever since.

Likewise Bullard.

Was never the same as a permanent signing as he was when on loan.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Fraser, Lawrence, Williams, Connolly, Carter-Vickers, Chalobah, Pennington on 14:20 - Dec 23 with 1992 viewsagentp

Fraser, Lawrence, Williams, Connolly, Carter-Vickers, Chalobah, Pennington on 13:52 - Dec 23 by Nthsuffolkblue

Mmmm i would disagree. He was on a wage akin to that of a plumber when we signed him. Think he was always destined to be in Bournemouth's future planes in the Championship, but promotion left him in limbo a bit. His agent was quite active at the time.

Poll: If only these two were available who would you choose for the rest of the season

Fraser, Lawrence, Williams, Connolly, Carter-Vickers, Chalobah, Pennington on 17:17 - Dec 23 with 1839 viewsPhilTWTD

Fraser, Lawrence, Williams, Connolly, Carter-Vickers, Chalobah, Pennington on 14:20 - Dec 23 by agentp

Mmmm i would disagree. He was on a wage akin to that of a plumber when we signed him. Think he was always destined to be in Bournemouth's future planes in the Championship, but promotion left him in limbo a bit. His agent was quite active at the time.

He signed a new contract with them when he joined Town as they saw him as one for the future. Was never any likelihood of him coming here permanently.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/english-football/666784/form
Fraser, Lawrence, Williams, Connolly, Carter-Vickers, Chalobah, Pennington on 18:41 - Dec 23 with 1691 viewsagentp

Fraser, Lawrence, Williams, Connolly, Carter-Vickers, Chalobah, Pennington on 17:17 - Dec 23 by PhilTWTD

He signed a new contract with them when he joined Town as they saw him as one for the future. Was never any likelihood of him coming here permanently.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/english-football/666784/form

You need to go a few months earlier than when he came on loan Phil.

He was on a low wage - exceptionally low. His agent started to make noises and a new contract was eventually offered as there were other clubs in for him including a rumoured part-exchange deal. You need to text MM

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024