Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The "Evans Out" brigade are wasting their time 16:29 - Jan 6 with 4880 viewsmuhrensleftfoot

No chance he will walk away when the club owes the Group £90m. No chance at all that anyone will buy the club from him in its current state (unless there's a billionaire Ipswich fanatic out there that we haven't heard of yet). We can only hope that he changes his ways and backs Lambert and we can rebuild from League One. Anyone who thinks we can escape relegation is deluded.
The "Evans Out" brigade are wasting their time on 18:56 - Jan 6 with 1291 viewsPhilTWTD

The "Evans Out" brigade are wasting their time on 18:33 - Jan 6 by jas0999

What’s the word Phil? We expecting to hear from Evans or do you think he’s done and looking to accept less for the club than he would want?

As far as I'm aware he's not actively looking to sell, but as per the interview would consider an offer from someone more able to make the club competitive if it came in. From what I gather a not insignificant sum has been earmarked for spending in this window to try to prevent relegation. Problem probably isn't available funds, more persuading players (even loans) to come here given the current position.
The on 19:16 - Jan 6 with 1263 viewsPrideOfTheEast

The on 18:31 - Jan 6 by PhilTWTD

I assume it's left on the books in case the club's position changes significantly and he's able to negotiate some return relating to it. However, that's just me speculating, accountants may have a better idea. He did write off around £1.5m in the play-off season - think it was that season - as we would otherwise have been over the FFP limit.

In terms of any buyer, I think they'll look at the situations at other similar clubs in the recent past. Bolton is an obvious example, their previous owner wrote off about £100m in debt to make the sellable to the current owner.

This post has been edited by an administrator

It will have been left on the books for a number of reasons.

1) Initially because it would have been easier for him to take money out of the club via a debt repayment if we were ever promoted to the Premier League or came into significant money. A lot more palatable (and easier to do) than a dividend payment or return on capital.

2) The value of ITFC as a stand-alone entity is negative which might have a tax benefit if the entity was ever sold.

3) The point you mention. It's a concession on a sale today in what would be a fairly complex negotiation.
The "Evans Out" brigade are wasting their time on 19:44 - Jan 6 with 1224 viewsjas0999

The "Evans Out" brigade are wasting their time on 18:56 - Jan 6 by PhilTWTD

As far as I'm aware he's not actively looking to sell, but as per the interview would consider an offer from someone more able to make the club competitive if it came in. From what I gather a not insignificant sum has been earmarked for spending in this window to try to prevent relegation. Problem probably isn't available funds, more persuading players (even loans) to come here given the current position.

Interesting. Thanks. The problem also is we already have four loans and can only select five.

Sadly relegation looks nailed on and then you have to wonder what Evans will do. Sell players? Off load high earners (very likely), but then does he build a squad for the future or continue down the loan path. What’s for sure, is currently we may struggle in League One.

I’m not a fan of Evans, but no idea what he does from here. Club won’t be worth what he is after even if a buyer comes along. What a mess!
The "Evans Out" brigade are wasting their time on 19:52 - Jan 6 with 1213 viewsPhilTWTD

The "Evans Out" brigade are wasting their time on 19:44 - Jan 6 by jas0999

Interesting. Thanks. The problem also is we already have four loans and can only select five.

Sadly relegation looks nailed on and then you have to wonder what Evans will do. Sell players? Off load high earners (very likely), but then does he build a squad for the future or continue down the loan path. What’s for sure, is currently we may struggle in League One.

I’m not a fan of Evans, but no idea what he does from here. Club won’t be worth what he is after even if a buyer comes along. What a mess!

The wage bill would have to be cut in League One for FFP reasons and because media money is cut by £7m-ish. But we'd still be very big players in League One even with our wage bill, which was £18.5m last season, cut significantly. Just looking around and the average wage bill in League One is around £5m.
The "Evans Out" brigade are wasting their time on 19:56 - Jan 6 with 1202 viewsPrideOfTheEast

The "Evans Out" brigade are wasting their time on 19:44 - Jan 6 by jas0999

It really is a complete mess.

Who on earth is going to commit to coming here on loan for a few months. Anybody of any real quality will be coveted by a team going for promotion and won't come here to potentially finish bottom of the league and risk not being perceived as positively impacting that (better to have a promotion on a CV than a relegation obviously). We're clearly down.

Going forward, he might cash-in on one or two (Bart, one of the kids?) but I'm not sure there would be too many suitors. Fortunately a number of the first team contracts are up in June so we will be able to start again. Evans will then have to make the call on levels of investment in League One where revenues are significantly lower.

I doubt he could find a suitable buyer if he was giving it away to be honest so I wouldn't bet against him being here for the foreseeable.
The "Evans Out" brigade are wasting their time on 19:56 - Jan 6 with 1203 viewsjas0999

The "Evans Out" brigade are wasting their time on 19:52 - Jan 6 by PhilTWTD

The wage bill would have to be cut in League One for FFP reasons and because media money is cut by £7m-ish. But we'd still be very big players in League One even with our wage bill, which was £18.5m last season, cut significantly. Just looking around and the average wage bill in League One is around £5m.

Thanks. That said, I wonder if we will look to completely rebuild the squad. Much will depend on whether PL stays I’d have thought. What’s your view on that one? We go down ... does PL stay? I hope so.
The "Evans Out" brigade are wasting their time on 20:01 - Jan 6 with 1194 viewsbraveblue

You are not looking at it from a business point of view. If we go down which is very likely he will continue to lose £5m a year. Over another 10 years then £50m. He has spent £90m (inflated figure) so if he got £40m now he could walk away and save future investment. He may settle for less. It is the future losses that encourage such sales.
The "Evans Out" brigade are wasting their time on 20:03 - Jan 6 with 1193 viewsPhilTWTD

The "Evans Out" brigade are wasting their time on 19:56 - Jan 6 by jas0999

Thanks. That said, I wonder if we will look to completely rebuild the squad. Much will depend on whether PL stays I’d have thought. What’s your view on that one? We go down ... does PL stay? I hope so.

I think he will as he seems to see a lot of potential in the club and I'd imagine would fancy himself to get us back up quickly. Also, I'm not sure his stock would be that high in the summer if we went down and he left after two relegations in two seasons, even if neither will have been down to him to a very significant degree.
Login to get fewer ads

The "Evans Out" brigade are wasting their time on 20:11 - Jan 6 with 1177 viewsjas0999

The "Evans Out" brigade are wasting their time on 20:03 - Jan 6 by PhilTWTD

I think he will as he seems to see a lot of potential in the club and I'd imagine would fancy himself to get us back up quickly. Also, I'm not sure his stock would be that high in the summer if we went down and he left after two relegations in two seasons, even if neither will have been down to him to a very significant degree.

Thanks Phil. That’s cheered me up (albeit only a little).
The "Evans Out" brigade are wasting their time on 20:13 - Jan 6 with 1176 viewspeterleeblue

The "Evans Out" brigade are wasting their time on 16:54 - Jan 6 by PhilTWTD

There is no way the club can be sold without the debt being wholly or very substantially written off. And that's how things would pan out as and when he sells up, as has been said by ME, Simon Clegg and Ian Milne over the years.

Essentially that's what Ellis Short has done up at Sunderland. Although the clarity of what writing the debt of means is a little unclear.

IMHO that now needs to happen. At league 1 we will be cheaper to run and may then prove attractive to a Stewart Donald style buyer.

If league one is what it is has to be then league 1 must be the reset button.
The "Evans Out" brigade are wasting their time on 21:38 - Jan 6 with 1126 viewsNo9

The "Evans Out" brigade are wasting their time on 18:33 - Jan 6 by jas0999

What’s the word Phil? We expecting to hear from Evans or do you think he’s done and looking to accept less for the club than he would want?

Somethign says that if Mr E was going to bale out - from a no win situation, he wouldn't have paid good money to get PL in
He would have just let the clock run down with PH who may have won a few more ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024