Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? 21:11 - Feb 25 with 12423 viewshomer_123

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47358602

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 21:43 - Feb 26 with 639 viewsblueislander

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 21:27 - Feb 26 by footers

How good looking is this horse? Must have been extremely attractive for him to give it another go.

Do islanders have any thoughts on Sark, and the weirdo Barclay twins practically claiming it as their own little nation?

The Barclays aren’t weirdos. They are just very rich. They built a gothic castle on Brecqhou an island very adjacent to Sark.. they then bought other assets on Sark, mainly hotels, but also created a vineyard. Basically they challenged the medieval inheritance laws, and the feudal system that had existed in Sark for centuries, and ran up against a brick wall. So they sold their investments, to the detriment of the island’s economy. Since then the UK government have put huge pressure on Sark to reform the feudal system, and changes have been made..
Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 21:48 - Feb 26 with 631 viewsfooters

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 21:43 - Feb 26 by blueislander

The Barclays aren’t weirdos. They are just very rich. They built a gothic castle on Brecqhou an island very adjacent to Sark.. they then bought other assets on Sark, mainly hotels, but also created a vineyard. Basically they challenged the medieval inheritance laws, and the feudal system that had existed in Sark for centuries, and ran up against a brick wall. So they sold their investments, to the detriment of the island’s economy. Since then the UK government have put huge pressure on Sark to reform the feudal system, and changes have been made..

Sorry, it's a phrase cribbed from a certain publication. It seemed that many people were unhappy with what they perceived to be them bullying them off the island or denying them their rights to democracy.

Interesting, thanks- will have to check out what you've posted. The feudal system sounds intriguing, and particularly British in its complications!

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 21:54 - Feb 26 with 625 viewsblueislander

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 21:48 - Feb 26 by footers

Sorry, it's a phrase cribbed from a certain publication. It seemed that many people were unhappy with what they perceived to be them bullying them off the island or denying them their rights to democracy.

Interesting, thanks- will have to check out what you've posted. The feudal system sounds intriguing, and particularly British in its complications!

Check away if you doubt what I have posted. You may have difficulty in finding a non- biased source. Particularly as you start from a biased standpoint in calling the Barclays weirdos. I do not know them at all, so I am relying on facts from unbiased sources.
Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:01 - Feb 26 with 618 viewsfooters

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 21:54 - Feb 26 by blueislander

Check away if you doubt what I have posted. You may have difficulty in finding a non- biased source. Particularly as you start from a biased standpoint in calling the Barclays weirdos. I do not know them at all, so I am relying on facts from unbiased sources.

Sorry my friend, I just meant that I wanted to learn more about the island and its politics. The source of the weirdo thing is Private Eye- I am only going from what I've read in there. Can't profess to be any fount of knowledge on the islands! Though many of the local councillors or politicians have written in to express their displeasure with the goings-on there, quite possibly because, as you say, their feudal system has been disrupted somehow.

There may be a historical reason for the Eye calling them weirdos, as some sort of joke, but I really have no idea.

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:15 - Feb 26 with 608 viewsblueislander

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:01 - Feb 26 by footers

Sorry my friend, I just meant that I wanted to learn more about the island and its politics. The source of the weirdo thing is Private Eye- I am only going from what I've read in there. Can't profess to be any fount of knowledge on the islands! Though many of the local councillors or politicians have written in to express their displeasure with the goings-on there, quite possibly because, as you say, their feudal system has been disrupted somehow.

There may be a historical reason for the Eye calling them weirdos, as some sort of joke, but I really have no idea.

Private Eye and the Barclays have “history”. Much as I enjoy reading it, I don’t think you could rely on Private Eye as an unbiased source. Certainly some of the Barclay’s business practices have been questionable, but their real problem with Sark was with their inheritance laws, which gave all rights to the eldest son of a deceased person, and that,imho, is something that he eded to be challenged.
Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:21 - Feb 26 with 601 viewsfooters

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:15 - Feb 26 by blueislander

Private Eye and the Barclays have “history”. Much as I enjoy reading it, I don’t think you could rely on Private Eye as an unbiased source. Certainly some of the Barclay’s business practices have been questionable, but their real problem with Sark was with their inheritance laws, which gave all rights to the eldest son of a deceased person, and that,imho, is something that he eded to be challenged.

Again, sounds interesting- will have to dig more. You are of course right that you can't rely on a single publication as a source, which is why I was interested to rummage more. But you've given me a good direction on where to start looking. Many thanks.

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:24 - Feb 26 with 592 viewsblueislander

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:21 - Feb 26 by footers

Again, sounds interesting- will have to dig more. You are of course right that you can't rely on a single publication as a source, which is why I was interested to rummage more. But you've given me a good direction on where to start looking. Many thanks.

You are more than welcome.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024