Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? 21:11 - Feb 25 with 12426 viewshomer_123

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47358602

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:40 - Feb 25 with 3809 viewsfactual_blue

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:03 - Feb 25 by footers

And who, happily, give us oil-drilling rights in the region. Coincidence I'm sure. Did well for Thatcher's polls...

Who can forget Diana Gould destroying thatcher on Nationwide?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:41 - Feb 25 with 3809 viewsfactual_blue

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:33 - Feb 25 by WeWereZombies

C'mon, we have improved Wales.

Mainly by importing Benters onto here.

llabs

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:48 - Feb 25 with 3801 viewsfooters

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:40 - Feb 25 by factual_blue

Who can forget Diana Gould destroying thatcher on Nationwide?

My "open waters" are your "exclusion zone". Still, those Argies had it coming. Galtieri was a clear and present danger to us all, being the tinpot Latin American dictator that he was.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:52 - Feb 25 with 3790 viewsjeera

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:34 - Feb 25 by StochesStotasBlewe

No.

If we do, that,s my retirement plans scuppered.*

*I,d never heard of them until now. That,s two things i,ve learned today.

Yes, give them back i say.

All you need now is to rediscover your apostrophe button and you'll be well away!

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:53 - Feb 25 with 3789 viewsXYZ

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:19 - Feb 25 by StokieBlue

Yes.

However the subsequent question is why should we respect the judgement when China have ignored the UN judgement on the Spratly Islands.

I guess the only good thing we did was make it a protected nature reserve which might not be the case when it's handed back.

SB

So China is our moral benchmark now?

The decision is based on self-determination I've heard - the UK/ US response will be tested against arguments such as the Falklands and Gibraltarian referendums.

Why is self-determination OK for the Falklanders but not the Chagons?
Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:57 - Feb 25 with 3788 viewsbournemouthblue

When you look back at the way we got hold of the Islands it's hardly surprising the families of those we kicked out want it back. It's exactly the sort of behaviour we'd skulk at if another country did similar.

What they expect to come back to given it is essentially a floating Military base, armed to the teeth with cutting edge technologies and defences most of us wouldn't even realise existed is quite another situation. Is it anything like the place their ancestors remember?

There's simply no way the UK or the US is going to give it back regardless of what international law says, it's far too strategically important from a military point of view

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 06:30 - Feb 26 with 3742 viewsStokieBlue

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:53 - Feb 25 by XYZ

So China is our moral benchmark now?

The decision is based on self-determination I've heard - the UK/ US response will be tested against arguments such as the Falklands and Gibraltarian referendums.

Why is self-determination OK for the Falklanders but not the Chagons?

I've agreed with a post saying they should have self determination so not sure where you've plucked that one from.

The UN ruling doesn't give them that though, it puts them under the rule of another different country that's 2000km away and who don't really like them so treat them like second class citizens.

SB
[Post edited 26 Feb 2019 7:36]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 06:32 - Feb 26 with 3741 viewsStokieBlue

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:57 - Feb 25 by bournemouthblue

When you look back at the way we got hold of the Islands it's hardly surprising the families of those we kicked out want it back. It's exactly the sort of behaviour we'd skulk at if another country did similar.

What they expect to come back to given it is essentially a floating Military base, armed to the teeth with cutting edge technologies and defences most of us wouldn't even realise existed is quite another situation. Is it anything like the place their ancestors remember?

There's simply no way the UK or the US is going to give it back regardless of what international law says, it's far too strategically important from a military point of view

Isn't virtually all of the Chagos a UK marine protection reserve with the exception of Diego Garcia?

I don't think the rest of the atols are militarised? You're right though, can't see them getting Diego Garcia but they might get the other islands back.

SB

Login to get fewer ads

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 06:54 - Feb 26 with 3722 viewsblueislander

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:02 - Feb 25 by footers

ESPECIALLY Gibraltar. We should present it to Spain as a threat.

Long-time fans of my content will know that I hold a special place in my heart for the hatred of that place.

Bomb it, then give it back. We've got nukes to spare so why not?

There are plenty of nuclear weapons stored inside The Rock.
Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 07:11 - Feb 26 with 3713 viewsBluefish

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 06:54 - Feb 26 by blueislander

There are plenty of nuclear weapons stored inside The Rock.

I had never heard of the Chagos until the news last night but my 1st comment to the missus was that presumably it has plenty of nukes buried there. I can't see any other reason to battle to hang on to it otherwise in this day and age with modern jet capacity

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 07:33 - Feb 26 with 3704 viewsStokieBlue

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 07:11 - Feb 26 by Bluefish

I had never heard of the Chagos until the news last night but my 1st comment to the missus was that presumably it has plenty of nukes buried there. I can't see any other reason to battle to hang on to it otherwise in this day and age with modern jet capacity

We don't have plane launched nukes and the US would use silos or subs.

What it does have is a giant US airbase.

SB

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 07:34 - Feb 26 with 3701 viewsStokieBlue

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 23:40 - Feb 25 by footers

Dark tings a'gwan... I blame Thatcher, personally. But then again I blame her for everything. Including inventing ecstasy to placate da yoof. She did it with Mr Whippy so what's stopping her going that far? More details in my newsletter.

The Cane toads documentary on Netflix is well worth a watch.

SB

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 07:44 - Feb 26 with 3690 viewsBluefish

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 07:33 - Feb 26 by StokieBlue

We don't have plane launched nukes and the US would use silos or subs.

What it does have is a giant US airbase.

SB

My assumption was US nukes, much like Lakenheath has although it is still officially denied.

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 08:11 - Feb 26 with 3673 viewsDanTheMan

Yes.

This isn't a Falklands scenario where there was nobody who lived there. We forced people off their land and are now letting Daddy America use it as a military base.

Give it back. It was never ours to begin with.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2019 8:11]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 08:15 - Feb 26 with 3664 viewsPinewoodblue

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 07:11 - Feb 26 by Bluefish

Don't see what claim Mauritus has apart from the fact we dumped the inhabitants in their country. Mauritius also has a claim to a French island colony a lot nearer to them.

What to do with the Chagos islands is a short term problem which will be resolved by global warming.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 08:35 - Feb 26 with 3654 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 08:15 - Feb 26 by Pinewoodblue

Don't see what claim Mauritus has apart from the fact we dumped the inhabitants in their country. Mauritius also has a claim to a French island colony a lot nearer to them.

What to do with the Chagos islands is a short term problem which will be resolved by global warming.

Bloody yankees and their submarine bases.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 08:45 - Feb 26 with 3651 viewsClapham_Junction

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 08:11 - Feb 26 by DanTheMan

Yes.

This isn't a Falklands scenario where there was nobody who lived there. We forced people off their land and are now letting Daddy America use it as a military base.

Give it back. It was never ours to begin with.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2019 8:11]

Arguably it was though, and the situation is a bit similar to the Falklands inasmuch as the islands were uninhabited until the late 1700s when it became a colony. The Chagossians are largely descendents of slaves imported to work on coconut plantations.
Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 08:48 - Feb 26 with 3645 viewsDanTheMan

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 08:45 - Feb 26 by Clapham_Junction

Arguably it was though, and the situation is a bit similar to the Falklands inasmuch as the islands were uninhabited until the late 1700s when it became a colony. The Chagossians are largely descendents of slaves imported to work on coconut plantations.

It was when they were first colonised, however (and I might be wrong here) it was inhabited by the time we got them, and then it was inhabited when we kicked everyone off. And they were not given a say in the matter.

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 09:08 - Feb 26 with 3623 viewsWeWereZombies

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 08:48 - Feb 26 by DanTheMan

It was when they were first colonised, however (and I might be wrong here) it was inhabited by the time we got them, and then it was inhabited when we kicked everyone off. And they were not given a say in the matter.

When we kicked everyone off was it not uninhabited then?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 09:21 - Feb 26 with 3618 viewsDanTheMan

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 09:08 - Feb 26 by WeWereZombies

Haha yes.

It was more my point it was inhabited when we got them. It's even worse that we kicked them off in living memory.

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 11:37 - Feb 26 with 3587 viewsBackToRussia

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 09:08 - Feb 26 by WeWereZombies

Uninhabited or not you don't just go around nicking bits of land thousands of miles away from your home country.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 14:30 - Feb 26 with 3561 viewsGeoffSentence

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 22:19 - Feb 25 by StokieBlue

Yes.

However the subsequent question is why should we respect the judgement when China have ignored the UN judgement on the Spratly Islands.

I guess the only good thing we did was make it a protected nature reserve which might not be the case when it's handed back.

SB

Or it could be, how can we object to the Chinese ignoring the judgement on the Spratly Islands if we ignore the judgement on the Chagos.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 14:33 - Feb 26 with 3558 viewsStokieBlue

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 14:30 - Feb 26 by GeoffSentence

Or it could be, how can we object to the Chinese ignoring the judgement on the Spratly Islands if we ignore the judgement on the Chagos.

I've not said we should ignore the judgement on the Chagos, completely the opposite actually.

Just pointing out in general that the Chinese get a free ride on here whilst the UK and US get constantly bashed.

SB
[Post edited 26 Feb 2019 14:34]

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 14:38 - Feb 26 with 3555 viewsfooters

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 14:33 - Feb 26 by StokieBlue

I've not said we should ignore the judgement on the Chagos, completely the opposite actually.

Just pointing out in general that the Chinese get a free ride on here whilst the UK and US get constantly bashed.

SB
[Post edited 26 Feb 2019 14:34]

International law is a funny old thing, isn't it? All the main powers can ignore it while using it as a stick to beat other countries with.

Again, the Simpsons have it right: "Do you children want to behave like the real UN or just squabble and waste time?"

P.S. I don't have Netflix but will try to source this cane toad doc you've recommended. Not my usual bag but will give it a whirl.
[Post edited 26 Feb 2019 14:40]

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 14:54 - Feb 26 with 3546 viewsblueislander

Should we give back the Chagos Islands then? on 11:37 - Feb 26 by BackToRussia

Uninhabited or not you don't just go around nicking bits of land thousands of miles away from your home country.

It was quite common in the 17th and 18th centuries among European nations. Hopefully we behave a bit better now.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024