Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Never felt this low...or have we ? 21:30 - Mar 3 with 1404 viewspaulmarci

Radio phone ins to get Robson out wouldn't be believed by some nowadays but it happened and time healed and we were without doubt the pride of Anglia and taken to the hearts of fans at home and abroad.A mix of home grown talent and players brought in who were not household names turned into a team we were so proud of.Add to that a Cobbold family who worried more about wine and beer than their football knowledge we became history makers.My point is we are again producing home grown talent which at one point was halted or at least reduced, we are again going to be looking for players not costing a fortune but have the potential to turn into something a little special but more importantly want to pull on that blue shirt ...can we turn the clock back only time will tell...Listened to the supporter who is positive and also the haters over many years...now just listening to the clock ticking once more. COYB
Never felt this low...or have we ? on 22:27 - Mar 3 with 1277 viewsgtsb

There is one slight problem though and that is as soon as that home grown talent looks like it could be a bit special along comes a Man City or Chelsea etc to steal them. Football is so far removed from the Robson era it's unreal.
Never felt this low...or have we ? on 22:32 - Mar 3 with 1256 viewsfooters

Never felt this low...or have we ? on 22:27 - Mar 3 by gtsb

There is one slight problem though and that is as soon as that home grown talent looks like it could be a bit special along comes a Man City or Chelsea etc to steal them. Football is so far removed from the Robson era it's unreal.

Another discussion for another time, but honestly, why would any youth (aside from dough, which is a huge consideration obviously) ever go to one of those teams? You'll play fck all football, just loaned out to Vitesse Arnheim or whoever.

Chelskis etc should just abandon their academies- they serve zero purpose.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Never felt this low...or have we ? on 22:38 - Mar 3 with 1236 viewsgtsb

Never felt this low...or have we ? on 22:32 - Mar 3 by footers

Another discussion for another time, but honestly, why would any youth (aside from dough, which is a huge consideration obviously) ever go to one of those teams? You'll play fck all football, just loaned out to Vitesse Arnheim or whoever.

Agree 100%. If I had a boy who was a future talent i would strongly advise him to stay at a club who could give him first team football every week and progress from there. Having said that I don't know what I'd do if I was offered mega money. Sad isn't it.
Never felt this low...or have we ? on 08:54 - Mar 4 with 966 viewsWeWereZombies

You are reminding me of a time, forty five years and more ago, when I overheard two old boys complaining that the football would never be as good as in Ramsey's day. That was on the Churchmans terrace watching one of Robson's first games in charge.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Never felt this low...or have we ? on 09:09 - Mar 4 with 928 viewsElephantintheRoom

You should have felt much worse after the club went belly up and drifted into admin - reneging on debts to charities as well as local businesses. You should have felt worse still when the club destroyed itself and sold out to an utterly unknown, offshore, invisible chancer - with the debt for building two stands conveniently washed away. What both these shameful events illustrated was a club existing way beyond its means on other people's money. What we have now is a club spiraling down, but still living beyond its means IF the accounts are to be believed. So the short answer to your question is that things have been far worse in the past - and economic reality will ensure it will get worse in the future.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Never felt this low...or have we ? on 09:56 - Mar 4 with 865 viewsSwansea_Blue

Why would someone who only ever wanted to play football at the top level go to one of the clubs at the top level to train with the best coaches, best fellow players and at the best facilities? And probably get paid more for the pleasure.

No idea. They'd be much better off at Felixstowe town buh

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Never felt this low...or have we ? on 10:04 - Mar 4 with 846 viewsfooters

Never felt this low...or have we ? on 09:56 - Mar 4 by Swansea_Blue

Why would someone who only ever wanted to play football at the top level go to one of the clubs at the top level to train with the best coaches, best fellow players and at the best facilities? And probably get paid more for the pleasure.

No idea. They'd be much better off at Felixstowe town buh

You make a good point, my friend! True about coaching and facilities etc but so many disappear in that particular machine that it just seems like a backward step in many respects. Only Liverpool have really been bringing any of their yoof through.

German teams now seem to be realising all of this and buying/loaning British young'uns don't they? Sancho, Lookman, Oxford and now possibly Hudson-Odoi. The big clubs just buy players rather than giving their own opportunities. Sad.

"aside from dough, which is a huge consideration obviously" on 10:06 - Mar 4 with 836 viewsDyland

nft

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Login to get fewer ads

Never felt this low...or have we ? on 10:10 - Mar 4 with 830 viewsCoastalblue

Never felt this low...or have we ? on 22:38 - Mar 3 by gtsb

Agree 100%. If I had a boy who was a future talent i would strongly advise him to stay at a club who could give him first team football every week and progress from there. Having said that I don't know what I'd do if I was offered mega money. Sad isn't it.

But if you were working 75 hours a week in a warehouse on minimum wage, or even unemployed and that new club promised you a house or your lad £5K a week you'd have to think about the position of your family.

One bad injury could end the greatest talent overnight.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

arf! (n/t) on 10:10 - Mar 4 with 829 viewsfooters

"aside from dough, which is a huge consideration obviously" on 10:06 - Mar 4 by Dyland

nft

Never felt this low...or have we ? on 10:10 - Mar 4 with 822 viewsSwansea_Blue

Never felt this low...or have we ? on 10:04 - Mar 4 by footers

You make a good point, my friend! True about coaching and facilities etc but so many disappear in that particular machine that it just seems like a backward step in many respects. Only Liverpool have really been bringing any of their yoof through.

German teams now seem to be realising all of this and buying/loaning British young'uns don't they? Sancho, Lookman, Oxford and now possibly Hudson-Odoi. The big clubs just buy players rather than giving their own opportunities. Sad.

Well that's true enough. It's a ruthless system and spits people out without a second's thought. You'd still probably try though if you thought you had a chance. Or you probably would at a very young age. I do think that those who've managed to secure a professional deral already and are having some game time could sometimes realise they're not that bad off where they are. Take players like Richard Wright or Connor Wickham. Grass isn't always greener unless you're happy being a bit part player.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024