Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) 21:28 - Jul 2 with 4441 viewscarlisleaway

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:45 - Jul 2 with 532 viewsStirlingArcher

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:36 - Jul 2 by Darth_Koont

Feck those panda fecks

You might be right that the laws need tweaking to accommodate VAR but the officials need to be better at using it.

And I think most of it is giving people (officials, players and fans) time to get used to it. It's worked phenomenally well in rugby over the last decade and I've heard no-one asking for it to be removed after the initial teething period.

We need to have laws that work with VAR - so the decisions can be quick, consistent and accurate
VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:49 - Jul 2 with 526 viewsFunge

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:29 - Jul 2 by Darth_Koont

No. Sport is about justice at some level. If it's about human error then we might as well actively teaching kids how to simulate fouls.

I can accept human error, of course. But when the truth is just a quick look at a video screen that everyone else can see then there's no point in maintaining the charade.

'Sport is about justice at some level'

Interesting viewpoint. If this is true, then surely the referee is the judge responsible for administering said justice?

In broad agreement about the negative impact of cheating upon kids (although the direct point is redundant, as VAR is highly unlikely to ever be used at that level of football), but I'd maintain that, first and foremost, respect for the referee/ umpire in a sport should be sacrosanct - to extrapolate further, VAR is effectively saying that the referee's decision isn't final - that's challenging the whole concept of justice, right there.

That doesn't sit particularly comfortably with me.
VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:50 - Jul 2 with 523 viewsDarth_Koont

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:45 - Jul 2 by StirlingArcher

We need to have laws that work with VAR - so the decisions can be quick, consistent and accurate

Agreed. Although I think tonight it worked well. I was keeping half an eye on the game but seemed that both VAR decisions took place without any artificial or excessive breaks in play.

Basically, they seemed to give the VAR official responsibility for the decision (and why not as they are the ones watching the angles and the slow-mo), which has been missing from some of the earlier VAR moments.

Pronouns: He/Him

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:52 - Jul 2 with 520 viewsDarth_Koont

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:49 - Jul 2 by Funge

'Sport is about justice at some level'

Interesting viewpoint. If this is true, then surely the referee is the judge responsible for administering said justice?

In broad agreement about the negative impact of cheating upon kids (although the direct point is redundant, as VAR is highly unlikely to ever be used at that level of football), but I'd maintain that, first and foremost, respect for the referee/ umpire in a sport should be sacrosanct - to extrapolate further, VAR is effectively saying that the referee's decision isn't final - that's challenging the whole concept of justice, right there.

That doesn't sit particularly comfortably with me.

But football does none of that at present.

No respect for the ref, opposition or the rules. It's about getting a result.

Sure, there's a brutal kind of romance in that but ultimately I think we can aim higher without losing the emotion.

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:57 - Jul 2 with 512 viewsFunge

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:52 - Jul 2 by Darth_Koont

But football does none of that at present.

No respect for the ref, opposition or the rules. It's about getting a result.

Sure, there's a brutal kind of romance in that but ultimately I think we can aim higher without losing the emotion.

'No respect for the ref, opposition or the rules. It's about getting a result.'

True that, I don't much care for it.

Cheers for the chat, mans needs his beauty sleep.
VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 00:02 - Jul 3 with 509 viewsDarth_Koont

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:57 - Jul 2 by Funge

'No respect for the ref, opposition or the rules. It's about getting a result.'

True that, I don't much care for it.

Cheers for the chat, mans needs his beauty sleep.

No worries.

Goodnight, sweet prince. And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 00:03 - Jul 3 with 510 viewsTrequartista

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:19 - Jul 2 by Darth_Koont

Of course it was.

You couldn't really see the contact that clearly, it was the brain telling the eyes what to see because the brain assumes the player wouldn't have gone down when she had a superb chance of scoring a goal.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 00:27 - Jul 3 with 494 viewsDarth_Koont

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 00:03 - Jul 3 by Trequartista

You couldn't really see the contact that clearly, it was the brain telling the eyes what to see because the brain assumes the player wouldn't have gone down when she had a superb chance of scoring a goal.

No. It was clear contact from the angle behind.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024