Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) 21:28 - Jul 2 with 4442 viewscarlisleaway

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:24 - Jul 2 with 1747 viewsFunge

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:13 - Jul 2 by Footballpete

It would be a sickener, but it’s those moments of controversy that make that game great for me.

Damn straight.

Human error is such a huge part of the game. Going into the pub afterwards and whinging at length about d'Urso/ Keith fcking Stroud etc etc... is a huge part of the game. Sometimes it goes for you, sometimes it doesnt. That's the game!

Players make mistakes all the time; I fail to see why referees/ linesmen should be subject to a different criteria.

Get rid of the whole lot - VAR, Goalline technology, all absolute w@nk. (I acknowledge that I am in the minority when it comes to this viewpoint). Same with the review system in cricket

Fascinated by the other posts on this section claiming that there's more to football than the emotion of scoring - what?!
VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:25 - Jul 2 with 1744 viewsDarth_Koont

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:24 - Jul 2 by Funge

Damn straight.

Human error is such a huge part of the game. Going into the pub afterwards and whinging at length about d'Urso/ Keith fcking Stroud etc etc... is a huge part of the game. Sometimes it goes for you, sometimes it doesnt. That's the game!

Players make mistakes all the time; I fail to see why referees/ linesmen should be subject to a different criteria.

Get rid of the whole lot - VAR, Goalline technology, all absolute w@nk. (I acknowledge that I am in the minority when it comes to this viewpoint). Same with the review system in cricket

Fascinated by the other posts on this section claiming that there's more to football than the emotion of scoring - what?!

No.

There's too much bulls!t and cheating in football as it is.

Pronouns: He/Him

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:37 - Jul 2 with 1728 viewsFunge

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:25 - Jul 2 by Darth_Koont

No.

There's too much bulls!t and cheating in football as it is.

Thus has it ever been. It makes the game.

I recall being as angry as I've ever been at football, when that pr1ck Savage got Sereni sent off at Filbert St in 2001/02, depriving us of a win. I still get cross about it now, 18 years later. It's a vivid memory of an otherwise nondescript game.

VAR would've removed all that, taken that memory away. A more pertinent example is Maradona in '86....

VAR is taking all the spontaneity, and, subsequently, a sizeable portion of emotion, out of the game. Without emotion, there is no football.

Cheating is part of the game, part of the pantomime. Anyone thinking cheating will disappear * is playing themselves; it will simply morph into something else. Teams will still timewaste, players will still feign injury, forwards will still move the ball forwards at free kicks. It's all cheating.

* I acknowledge this is not the precise point you are making.
VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:41 - Jul 2 with 1721 viewsDarth_Koont

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:37 - Jul 2 by Funge

Thus has it ever been. It makes the game.

I recall being as angry as I've ever been at football, when that pr1ck Savage got Sereni sent off at Filbert St in 2001/02, depriving us of a win. I still get cross about it now, 18 years later. It's a vivid memory of an otherwise nondescript game.

VAR would've removed all that, taken that memory away. A more pertinent example is Maradona in '86....

VAR is taking all the spontaneity, and, subsequently, a sizeable portion of emotion, out of the game. Without emotion, there is no football.

Cheating is part of the game, part of the pantomime. Anyone thinking cheating will disappear * is playing themselves; it will simply morph into something else. Teams will still timewaste, players will still feign injury, forwards will still move the ball forwards at free kicks. It's all cheating.

* I acknowledge this is not the precise point you are making.

Hmmm. I think cheating/diving/generally influencing the ref is a cancer on the game.

As you say, it might well add to the drama and emotion but that's the reason why I don't give a feck about WWF.

Proper sport just doesn't need it.

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:44 - Jul 2 with 1711 viewsStNeotsBlue

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:24 - Jul 2 by Funge

Damn straight.

I agree with all of this apart from the goal line technology, which is pretty definitive and the decision is virtually immediate.
VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:46 - Jul 2 with 1703 viewsStokieBlue

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:44 - Jul 2 by StNeotsBlue

I agree with all of this apart from the goal line technology, which is pretty definitive and the decision is virtually immediate.

By that logic you couldn't object to an automated offside check.

It's basically exactly the same as the goal line one - two lines - one is ahead of the other.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:48 - Jul 2 with 1697 viewsFunge

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:41 - Jul 2 by Darth_Koont

Hmmm. I think cheating/diving/generally influencing the ref is a cancer on the game.

As you say, it might well add to the drama and emotion but that's the reason why I don't give a feck about WWF.

But then why not take it a step further? Why have referees or linesmen at all?

We've got the technology to make decisions on every single throw in/ corner/ goal kick/ offside immediately, so that's all the linesmen down the job centre....

And one could replace referees with a series of observers, all of whom could press a button (amateur boxing scoring style) to ascertain whether or not fouls have occurred.

Sure, I'm being obtuse, but really, technology is bringing nothing to the table.
VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:49 - Jul 2 with 1692 viewsFunge

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:44 - Jul 2 by StNeotsBlue

I know, I'm pretty much medieval in terms of my thinking on this issue; like I say, I acknowledge I'm firmly in the minority.
Login to get fewer ads

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:55 - Jul 2 with 1673 viewsRonFearonsHair

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:46 - Jul 2 by StokieBlue

It's basically exactly the same as the goal line one - two lines - one is ahead of the other.

SB

The goal line doesn't move and the technology is directly in line with them.

The offside lines are terribly blurred because of the angle of the camera and seem to be drawn at an arbitrary point in time between the ball first reaching the passers foot and leaving it. It's a lottery as to whether you happen to start kicking the ball when one frame is recorded. For a so-called 'definitive' decision worth all that precious money (like we care) it's miles off. You may as well get one of those courtroom artists to draw a sketch.
VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:55 - Jul 2 with 1673 viewsStNeotsBlue

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:46 - Jul 2 by StokieBlue

SB

Not sure if it is as simple as that, goal line decisions are black and white. The offside decision depends on a number of factors when the ball was struck, which part of the body is offside etc.
VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:57 - Jul 2 with 1662 viewsStokieBlue

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:55 - Jul 2 by RonFearonsHair

The goal line doesn't move and the technology is directly in line with them.

The offside lines are terribly blurred because of the angle of the camera and seem to be drawn at an arbitrary point in time between the ball first reaching the passers foot and leaving it. It's a lottery as to whether you happen to start kicking the ball when one frame is recorded. For a so-called 'definitive' decision worth all that precious money (like we care) it's miles off. You may as well get one of those courtroom artists to draw a sketch.

The decisions are literally made on the red and blue lines drawn on the TV pictures. That could be easily automated. So the decision would be the same but without all the delays.

Not sure how far a player can move between frames, not far at all I'd wager given it's a very small fraction of a second.

SB

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:58 - Jul 2 with 1657 viewsStokieBlue

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:55 - Jul 2 by StNeotsBlue

Not sure if it is as simple as that, goal line decisions are black and white. The offside decision depends on a number of factors when the ball was struck, which part of the body is offside etc.

I don't think it does depend on what part of the body is offside does it? Didn't they change it?

Either way it's still possibly to automate it.

SB

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:02 - Jul 2 with 1645 viewsDarth_Koont

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:48 - Jul 2 by Funge

But then why not take it a step further? Why have referees or linesmen at all?

We've got the technology to make decisions on every single throw in/ corner/ goal kick/ offside immediately, so that's all the linesmen down the job centre....

And one could replace referees with a series of observers, all of whom could press a button (amateur boxing scoring style) to ascertain whether or not fouls have occurred.

Sure, I'm being obtuse, but really, technology is bringing nothing to the table.

There's too much that happens in real time where a human sees things quicker and clearer (even with the occasional error).

But VAR for game-defining moments? Absolutely. Winning or losing in football is way too marginal to be influenced by the players and human error.

I'd go further.The next step is to censure and ban players for minor incidents caught on tape throughout the game. If we can eradicate the niggly fouls, cheating and simulation at the top level we might see better football across the board.

For example, the use of arms in football should be much more clearly defined as against the rules, but somehow tugging shirts and getting arms in players' faces is deemed acceptable because it's so hard to referee live. But that's basically a Cheat's Charter.*

*Apologies to Berra who was an absolute master of that. But he was still bending the rules on almost every single challenge.

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:03 - Jul 2 with 1641 viewsHARRY10

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 21:41 - Jul 2 by Sarge

Why’s stop there, why don’t we just automate the players and then they’ll be no need for rules monitoring. It’s a human game that can be enhanced by technology (goal line tech) but this is no enhancement.

Obviously this is tongue in cheek but where does it end?
[Post edited 2 Jul 2019 21:43]

US 'grunt iron' where the game is dictated and choreographed to the sponsors needs.

Where there is about 5 mins of everyone running into each other every hour and 55 minutes of drivel as mindless numbers are regurgitted in such a way as to over excite those with mild autism.

" And Fred Fudpucker junior the third made 4 yards in the 1st quarter which hasn't been done since last week which ........zzzzzzzzzzzz"

But this was what the 'new fans' wanted, as if penalty decisions (as with the one awarded to England) were absolute not subjective.

It won't ruin the game of football but it will be an advertisers dream with the games that do use this nonsense.
VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:03 - Jul 2 with 1640 viewsRonFearonsHair

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:57 - Jul 2 by StokieBlue

The decisions are literally made on the red and blue lines drawn on the TV pictures. That could be easily automated. So the decision would be the same but without all the delays.

Not sure how far a player can move between frames, not far at all I'd wager given it's a very small fraction of a second.

SB

The lines are a nonsense.
VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:04 - Jul 2 with 1640 viewsStNeotsBlue

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:58 - Jul 2 by StokieBlue

I don't think it does depend on what part of the body is offside does it? Didn't they change it?

Either way it's still possibly to automate it.

SB

I may be wrong but I didn't think it was offside if it was a hand or arm "offside" as they can't be used to score a goal.

You maybe right and there are ways of getting these decisions made less obtrusively but currently I find the whole thing too much of a distraction and in its current state not fit for purpose. With the exception of goal line technology I'd shelf the whole lot.
VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:05 - Jul 2 with 1634 viewsStokieBlue

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:03 - Jul 2 by RonFearonsHair

The lines are a nonsense.

Why?

Got any evidence to support that view?

The decisions are made based on them, nonsense or not, thus it could be automated and done quickly.

SB

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:06 - Jul 2 with 1628 viewsDarth_Koont

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:03 - Jul 2 by HARRY10

US 'grunt iron' where the game is dictated and choreographed to the sponsors needs.

Where there is about 5 mins of everyone running into each other every hour and 55 minutes of drivel as mindless numbers are regurgitted in such a way as to over excite those with mild autism.

" And Fred Fudpucker junior the third made 4 yards in the 1st quarter which hasn't been done since last week which ........zzzzzzzzzzzz"

But this was what the 'new fans' wanted, as if penalty decisions (as with the one awarded to England) were absolute not subjective.

It won't ruin the game of football but it will be an advertisers dream with the games that do use this nonsense.

I think you're mixing up football's teething problems with VAR and a clearly defined approach in the NFL that's built around constant breaks in play.

Rugby is closer to football (soccer) on that score. VAR (and video refs in general) works far better there after a few years of practice.

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:07 - Jul 2 with 1627 viewsStokieBlue

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:04 - Jul 2 by StNeotsBlue

I may be wrong but I didn't think it was offside if it was a hand or arm "offside" as they can't be used to score a goal.

You maybe right and there are ways of getting these decisions made less obtrusively but currently I find the whole thing too much of a distraction and in its current state not fit for purpose. With the exception of goal line technology I'd shelf the whole lot.

I'd certainly agree in the current form it needs work. It's not going to go away though so it's best it gets that work and becomes a quick and transparent process.

It's the decisions where the ref is waiting that are the issue.

SB

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:12 - Jul 2 with 1610 viewsFunge

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:02 - Jul 2 by Darth_Koont

There's too much that happens in real time where a human sees things quicker and clearer (even with the occasional error).

But VAR for game-defining moments? Absolutely. Winning or losing in football is way too marginal to be influenced by the players and human error.

I'd go further.The next step is to censure and ban players for minor incidents caught on tape throughout the game. If we can eradicate the niggly fouls, cheating and simulation at the top level we might see better football across the board.

For example, the use of arms in football should be much more clearly defined as against the rules, but somehow tugging shirts and getting arms in players' faces is deemed acceptable because it's so hard to referee live. But that's basically a Cheat's Charter.*

*Apologies to Berra who was an absolute master of that. But he was still bending the rules on almost every single challenge.

'But VAR for game-defining moments? Absolutely. Winning or losing in football is way too marginal to be influenced by the players and human error'

I disagree, football is all about human error.

However, I'm repeating myself, I'm in the minority, and I very much doubt FIFA will pay any attention to me, so I might as well get on with it.
VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:16 - Jul 2 with 1605 viewsRonFearonsHair

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:05 - Jul 2 by StokieBlue

Why?

Got any evidence to support that view?

The decisions are made based on them, nonsense or not, thus it could be automated and done quickly.

SB

The view has been formed having studied a number of decisions in which the play has been frozen inconsistently in relation to when the ball has been played. Wonky looking blurred lines supposedly linking a players shoulder to another blurred line doesn't look conclusive enough to me to be worth the effort. I haven't downloaded and collected them all to show you I'm afraid.

I would be absolutely delighted if there was an automated, accurate and instantaneous way of making a decision. It would be great is someone were to actually develop one. In the meantime, we should ditch this half-arsed shambles of a system.
VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:22 - Jul 2 with 1588 viewsTerry_Nutkins

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:04 - Jul 2 by sundaze

Why don't you want it used for handballs? You are happy that the correct decision was made (eventually) for the penalty, yet you don't want VAR to spot a missed handball that would also award a penalty.

Because it's really subjective in terms of deliberate or not (and i dont agree with the law change on anything hitting the arm if it is out being a pen). You still cant get consistency with this through VAR without crazy rule change, rule change is bigger problem.

It will get there and get better and better. Few tweaks.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:23 - Jul 2 with 1588 viewsStirlingArcher

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 22:41 - Jul 2 by Darth_Koont

What have you got against the Pandas?

To (hopefully) agree with Stokie on the most part -

VAR itself is correct
The laws it upholds possibly need reviewing tweaking to bring them inline with the technology
VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:29 - Jul 2 with 1582 viewsDarth_Koont

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:12 - Jul 2 by Funge

'But VAR for game-defining moments? Absolutely. Winning or losing in football is way too marginal to be influenced by the players and human error'

I disagree, football is all about human error.

However, I'm repeating myself, I'm in the minority, and I very much doubt FIFA will pay any attention to me, so I might as well get on with it.

No. Sport is about justice at some level. If it's about human error then we might as well actively teaching kids how to simulate fouls.

I can accept human error, of course. But when the truth is just a quick look at a video screen that everyone else can see then there's no point in maintaining the charade.

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:36 - Jul 2 with 1576 viewsDarth_Koont

VAR will be the downfall of football (n/t) on 23:23 - Jul 2 by StirlingArcher

What have you got against the Pandas?

To (hopefully) agree with Stokie on the most part -

VAR itself is correct
The laws it upholds possibly need reviewing tweaking to bring them inline with the technology

Feck those panda fecks

You might be right that the laws need tweaking to accommodate VAR but the officials need to be better at using it.

And I think most of it is giving people (officials, players and fans) time to get used to it. It's worked phenomenally well in rugby over the last decade and I've heard no-one asking for it to be removed after the initial teething period.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024