Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Those high horse anti undertakers... 22:26 - Jul 9 with 1696 viewsbluelagos

A1 bit by Alconbury. Car in outside lane (of 4) doing 60...

So ok to use lane 1 or 2 but not 3 to undertake, or still the dangerous act of a deathwish wrongun?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Those high horse anti undertakers... on 22:35 - Jul 9 with 1656 viewsPJH

On your bicycle?
Those high horse anti undertakers... on 22:42 - Jul 9 with 1637 viewsbluelagos

Those high horse anti undertakers... on 22:35 - Jul 9 by PJH

On your bicycle?

Not that quick! So many average speed cameras and worst of all, the road works on the A14 have narrow lanes, making filtering (down the middle) near impossible in parts...

Will be nice when it's done mind.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Those high horse anti undertakers... on 07:41 - Jul 10 with 1497 viewsPendejo

Highway code "discourages" overtaking on the left...

United Kingdom — The Highway Code discourages undertaking on motorways with some exceptions (rule 268): "Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake". Undertaking is permitted in congested conditions when frequent lane changing is not recommended.

If you are already in 1, 2 or 3 then you will simply be "going with the flow of the traffic", as long as you don't subsequently pull out to lane 4... so assuming NOTHING else on road - approach, pass, proceed lane 2 all good.

Alternatively you could roar up behind them flashing, hooting and gesturing thru the windscreen.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Those high horse anti undertakers... on 07:47 - Jul 10 with 1477 viewsLeaky

Use that stretch of road daily & what you posted happens all the time.
Those high horse anti undertakers... on 08:07 - Jul 10 with 1439 viewsgiant_stow

Those high horse anti undertakers... on 07:41 - Jul 10 by Pendejo

Highway code "discourages" overtaking on the left...

United Kingdom — The Highway Code discourages undertaking on motorways with some exceptions (rule 268): "Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake". Undertaking is permitted in congested conditions when frequent lane changing is not recommended.

If you are already in 1, 2 or 3 then you will simply be "going with the flow of the traffic", as long as you don't subsequently pull out to lane 4... so assuming NOTHING else on road - approach, pass, proceed lane 2 all good.

Alternatively you could roar up behind them flashing, hooting and gesturing thru the windscreen.

I used to give them time, then get closer and finally give them a flash, but it seems less rude to just undertake safely now.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Those high horse anti undertakers... on 08:43 - Jul 10 with 1386 viewsPendejo

Those high horse anti undertakers... on 08:07 - Jul 10 by giant_stow

I used to give them time, then get closer and finally give them a flash, but it seems less rude to just undertake safely now.

Sadly I have to admit that I undertake every single day on the way to work as I'm usually faced by a 3 lane motorway that has a string of Prius & Black cabs in the middle lane [oh and the odd CCH coach / white van] with Mercs and Galaxy in the o/s doing 66 mph, none of them move over when their "overtaking" manoeuvre is complete.

When working in Colombia & Venezuela it was acceptable to undertake as long as it was preceded with a double tap on the car's hooter. This signifying "I'm coming thru on your inside"

I also make a point of returning to lane one from three, indicating, a safe distance in front of the middle lane furrow drivers when there's nothing ahead for miles... sometimes they take the hint, but mostly they don't.

uberima fides

Those high horse anti undertakers... on 08:58 - Jul 10 with 1359 viewslinhdi

I recently drove 3000 miles around Spain, France and Germany. And never had to think about undertaking as drivers kept to the correct lane, even when the roads were busy. As soon as I was back in the UK, the middle lane 60mphers (and why do they use the 3rd lane out of 4 ffs???) were out in force.
Those high horse anti undertakers... on 09:13 - Jul 10 with 1336 viewsgiant_stow

Those high horse anti undertakers... on 08:43 - Jul 10 by Pendejo

Sadly I have to admit that I undertake every single day on the way to work as I'm usually faced by a 3 lane motorway that has a string of Prius & Black cabs in the middle lane [oh and the odd CCH coach / white van] with Mercs and Galaxy in the o/s doing 66 mph, none of them move over when their "overtaking" manoeuvre is complete.

When working in Colombia & Venezuela it was acceptable to undertake as long as it was preceded with a double tap on the car's hooter. This signifying "I'm coming thru on your inside"

I also make a point of returning to lane one from three, indicating, a safe distance in front of the middle lane furrow drivers when there's nothing ahead for miles... sometimes they take the hint, but mostly they don't.

Almost unavoidable these days. People increasingly seem to get the car up to 60 and then switch off to mental cruise mode. Personally, it seems safer to get past such dangers than follow them.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

Those high horse anti undertakers... on 09:22 - Jul 10 with 1327 viewsGuthrum

If they are in the overtaking lane not actually overtaking anybody - indeed persistently travelling slower than the rest of the traffic - then they are in the wrong. Not driving with due care and attention, even.

Shoot them with a panzerfaust.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Those high horse anti undertakers... on 09:23 - Jul 10 with 1325 viewssoupytwist

Those high horse anti undertakers... on 08:58 - Jul 10 by linhdi

I recently drove 3000 miles around Spain, France and Germany. And never had to think about undertaking as drivers kept to the correct lane, even when the roads were busy. As soon as I was back in the UK, the middle lane 60mphers (and why do they use the 3rd lane out of 4 ffs???) were out in force.

It's seems that they've failed to notice the fourth lane which we've spent loads of time and money adding to the previous three lanes. It means that many motorways are in effect two two lane roads next to each other with lane two overtaking what's in lane one and lane four overtaking what's in lane three. Lane three is in effect a second inside lane.
Those high horse anti undertakers... on 09:27 - Jul 10 with 1321 viewsGuthrum

Those high horse anti undertakers... on 08:58 - Jul 10 by linhdi

Last year drove a similar distance around the USA. Undertaking is permitted there - but it's fine because everyone is working on the same rules (a bit like their four-way stop junctions, which take a bit of getting used to).

Remember, some years ago, driving up a two-lane section of the A1. The outer lane was choc-a-bloc, doing mostly about 55mph. The inside lane was practically empty. Why were people doing that?
[Post edited 10 Jul 2019 9:29]

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Those high horse anti undertakers... on 10:10 - Jul 10 with 1272 viewsGeoffSentence

Those high horse anti undertakers... on 09:22 - Jul 10 by Guthrum

If they are in the overtaking lane not actually overtaking anybody - indeed persistently travelling slower than the rest of the traffic - then they are in the wrong. Not driving with due care and attention, even.

Shoot them with a panzerfaust.

Actually Guthers, I think you are wrong. The panzerfaust is entirely the wrong choice of weapon. Firstly the punch it packs is massive overkill when employed against soft-skinned targets like black cabs, prius and national express coaches. Secondly it is a single shot weapon, meaning that for a journey along any typical stretch of UK motorway or trunk road, you would need to fill you car with them to meet the predicted need. This is entirely impractical. I would suggest a bazooka, even the M1 variant would pack more than enough killing power for the aforementioned road bandits, and one of them with a box of rockets could sit comfortably on the passenger seat.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Those high horse anti undertakers... on 10:30 - Jul 10 with 1232 viewsPendejo

Those high horse anti undertakers... on 09:27 - Jul 10 by Guthrum

Last year drove a similar distance around the USA. Undertaking is permitted there - but it's fine because everyone is working on the same rules (a bit like their four-way stop junctions, which take a bit of getting used to).

Remember, some years ago, driving up a two-lane section of the A1. The outer lane was choc-a-bloc, doing mostly about 55mph. The inside lane was practically empty. Why were people doing that?
[Post edited 10 Jul 2019 9:29]

I know why that it, or at least have a theory...

They are fearful of getting stuck in the inside lane, "undertaking" with loads of judgemental people in outside lane not letting them back out again. I can understand the psychology of that.

Youtube has lots of videos of people actively blocking an open o/s lane when traffic is queuing in 2 lanes for a junction for an event, I guess as they believe the person is trying to get ahead of them in the queue when in reality they are seeking to get past the junction.

uberima fides

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024