Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC 14:38 - Aug 16 with 3782 viewsBrixtonBlue

Fits with what quite a few on here have said on the subject. I wonder if certain posters will say this video is a conspiracy in itself!

https://www.bbc.com/ideas/videos/three-ways-to-spot-a-conspiracy-theory/p07j9sjk

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 17:26 - Aug 16 with 993 viewscaught-in-limbo

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 16:59 - Aug 16 by ActionMan

Sums up all of this.

From the same YouTuber who brought you:

Things I like to pee on:

Would you rather kill a chicken or fight an orangutan with a broadsword?

I liked it better when it was called Hans Christian Andersen's Little Mermaid

Spider-Woman's Big Ass is a Big Deal!

and

Animals are people (that we can eat).

This is not a great advert for side of the argument you seem to be supporting. You're better off spouting some borrowed pompous waffle from elsewhere in the thread, people really lap that stuff up. It's interesting to see why likes your post though.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 17:27]

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 17:38 - Aug 16 with 976 viewsDarth_Koont

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 17:26 - Aug 16 by caught-in-limbo

Things I like to pee on:

and

This is not a great advert for side of the argument you seem to be supporting. You're better off spouting some borrowed pompous waffle from elsewhere in the thread, people really lap that stuff up. It's interesting to see why likes your post though.

Switch and bait. Whatever else he puts on his YouTube channel, his view on alternative news sites is pretty valid.

Crucially it's important to question them even more than mainstream news because of their conflicted funding/business models and absence of any accountability because they are under the radar. Oh and their primary audience are often credulous fools too.

Pronouns: He/Him

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 17:39 - Aug 16 with 974 viewssparks

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 16:58 - Aug 16 by caught-in-limbo

The same old pompous verbosity trotted out in reply to entirely reasonable criticism of those in power.

Much easier to throw up this laughable response than to think seriously about whether one is actually using reason and appropriate scepticism when considering information.

And the same old ad hominems and abusiveness rather than dealing with the point made.

You were not making a criticism of those in power. You were relying on the old standby fallacy: "If you criticise people entertaining conspiracy theories on scant evidence and less reason, then you must think that those in power are perfect and no conspiracies ever happen."

Absurd- and illustrative of the wooly blinkered thinking which is the subject of the criticism...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 17:45 - Aug 16 with 967 viewsmidastouch

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 17:26 - Aug 16 by caught-in-limbo

Things I like to pee on:

and

I take it you haven't subbed to that channel then? ;-)
Was quite a funny comment at the top of the first video (the one titled "Your alternate news site sucks") where somebody wrote: "This video was just another excuse for you to brag about how you don't have ads on your site, isn't it?"
He's got over 270,000 subscribers, probably a bigger audience than some BBC shows have now! I think Newsnight gets around 4 million viewers a week so he's not a million miles away.
Sadly I don't think Bent_double will be subscribing either as I understand he's more partial to b-movies! ;-)

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 18:02 - Aug 16 with 934 viewsDanTheMan

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 16:59 - Aug 16 by ActionMan

Sums up all of this.

Maddox is still about!?

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 21:04 - Aug 16 with 882 viewscaught-in-limbo

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 17:39 - Aug 16 by sparks

And the same old ad hominems and abusiveness rather than dealing with the point made.

You were not making a criticism of those in power. You were relying on the old standby fallacy: "If you criticise people entertaining conspiracy theories on scant evidence and less reason, then you must think that those in power are perfect and no conspiracies ever happen."

Absurd- and illustrative of the wooly blinkered thinking which is the subject of the criticism...

That's laughable.

It was you who avoided the point I made in my first post to this thread. Namely, that to lump everyone from flat-earthers through anti-vaxxerts to establishment paedophiles together is stupid. Giving all these people (some of whom are completely deranged) the same lazily assigned branding is ridiculous. The post you responded to was a continuation of that idea, but you avoided the point totally and just spewed out the usual "scant evidence" drivel.

Similarly, it's stupid to attack those who are sceptical of the government and certain establishment bodies based on the nutter Alex Jones, or David Icke.

I haven't visited what you would call a conspiracy theory website in over a decade, nor do I rely on any foreign news channel, precisely because they are inherently biased at the very least and barking mad at worst. There are plenty of independent journalists on the ground in other countries which give a narrative totally at odds with that given in the UK press. To write them off as conspiracy theorists is as stupid and polarised as believing that the BBC has no bias or agenda whatsoever.

#toxic

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 21:11 - Aug 16 with 876 viewscaught-in-limbo

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 17:38 - Aug 16 by Darth_Koont

Switch and bait. Whatever else he puts on his YouTube channel, his view on alternative news sites is pretty valid.

Crucially it's important to question them even more than mainstream news because of their conflicted funding/business models and absence of any accountability because they are under the radar. Oh and their primary audience are often credulous fools too.

"Crucially it's important to question them even more than mainstream news because ..."

National and corporate media have at least as much of a need to peddle an agenda as any single issue, shoe-string budget independent journalist. Crikey, you're naive at times.

#toxic

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 22:09 - Aug 16 with 843 viewsActionMan

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 17:45 - Aug 16 by midastouch

I take it you haven't subbed to that channel then? ;-)
Was quite a funny comment at the top of the first video (the one titled "Your alternate news site sucks") where somebody wrote: "This video was just another excuse for you to brag about how you don't have ads on your site, isn't it?"
He's got over 270,000 subscribers, probably a bigger audience than some BBC shows have now! I think Newsnight gets around 4 million viewers a week so he's not a million miles away.
Sadly I don't think Bent_double will be subscribing either as I understand he's more partial to b-movies! ;-)

He's politically middle of the road but likes to bait the Twitterazzi quite a bit. They don't realise thats part of the schtick and send him abuse which he then reads out. He's famous for an old text based website and turning his rants on children's artwork into a best selling book to which he made some mainstream TV appearances dressed in a cape as "King of the Internet".
Login to get fewer ads

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 22:32 - Aug 16 with 826 viewsmidastouch

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 22:09 - Aug 16 by ActionMan

He's politically middle of the road but likes to bait the Twitterazzi quite a bit. They don't realise thats part of the schtick and send him abuse which he then reads out. He's famous for an old text based website and turning his rants on children's artwork into a best selling book to which he made some mainstream TV appearances dressed in a cape as "King of the Internet".

Cheers for explaining that. YouTube is like a parallel universe! My son watches quite a lot of it and it amazes me how some of the channels he watches, many of which started with tiny budgets, now have millions upon millions of subscribers. There's that DanTDM channel (he's grown out of that now) where a lad (who used to work in Tesco I think) has nearly 22 million subscribers and all he mostly does is play on Minecraft and talks over it while he plays! I think some of his success is based on the fact he doesn't swear which is good as a lot of those channels are not as clean as you'd like for younger viewers. Another one he used to like was Chris MD, he's got 4.5 million subscribers. It's often just him and a couple of mates taking free kicks at each other and having a laugh. The best one he watches though is F2 as they do have some neat skills! See here for example:

He also watches some of the Soccer AM stuff which gets posted on YouTube (which is more my cup of tea - love Bullard on there!) as some of the other younger orientated YouTube channels are too immature for grown ups. Waghorn was good on there. Celina had a shocker which was a surprise as he had a lovely shot on him as we saw against Leeds and QPR, but he buckled under the pressure on the Soccer AM Challenge! He also likes some of the Ipswich Vlogs that get posted on YouTube as well.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 22:38]

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 22:36 - Aug 16 with 820 viewsmidastouch

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 22:32 - Aug 16 by midastouch

Cheers for explaining that. YouTube is like a parallel universe! My son watches quite a lot of it and it amazes me how some of the channels he watches, many of which started with tiny budgets, now have millions upon millions of subscribers. There's that DanTDM channel (he's grown out of that now) where a lad (who used to work in Tesco I think) has nearly 22 million subscribers and all he mostly does is play on Minecraft and talks over it while he plays! I think some of his success is based on the fact he doesn't swear which is good as a lot of those channels are not as clean as you'd like for younger viewers. Another one he used to like was Chris MD, he's got 4.5 million subscribers. It's often just him and a couple of mates taking free kicks at each other and having a laugh. The best one he watches though is F2 as they do have some neat skills! See here for example:

He also watches some of the Soccer AM stuff which gets posted on YouTube (which is more my cup of tea - love Bullard on there!) as some of the other younger orientated YouTube channels are too immature for grown ups. Waghorn was good on there. Celina had a shocker which was a surprise as he had a lovely shot on him as we saw against Leeds and QPR, but he buckled under the pressure on the Soccer AM Challenge! He also likes some of the Ipswich Vlogs that get posted on YouTube as well.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2019 22:38]

You might recall that Phil played against an F2 team recently, I think it was reported on the site here somewhere, as well as here: https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/press-box-to-pitch-ipswich-town-reporters-face-the-

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 23:18 - Aug 16 with 783 viewsDarth_Koont

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 21:11 - Aug 16 by caught-in-limbo

"Crucially it's important to question them even more than mainstream news because ..."

National and corporate media have at least as much of a need to peddle an agenda as any single issue, shoe-string budget independent journalist. Crikey, you're naive at times.

You're even more naive because you think most of this is black and white.

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 14:28 - Aug 17 with 701 viewscaught-in-limbo

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 23:18 - Aug 16 by Darth_Koont

You're even more naive because you think most of this is black and white.

That was the main gist of my posts in this thread so far. It's not black and white at all, despite efforts to oversimplify and classify such a wide variety of sceptics into one group called "conspiracy theorists". Your comprehension skills are pitiful.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 15:09]

#toxic

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 14:53 - Aug 17 with 676 viewsDarth_Koont

Interesting video on conspiracy theories on the BBC on 14:28 - Aug 17 by caught-in-limbo

That was the main gist of my posts in this thread so far. It's not black and white at all, despite efforts to oversimplify and classify such a wide variety of sceptics into one group called "conspiracy theorists". Your comprehension skills are pitiful.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2019 15:09]

You're right. I have no idea what you're talking about.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024