Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who could have guessed... 10:27 - Oct 1 with 1970 viewschicoazul

...that building schools open-plan is very stupid?

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/two-academies-get-7m-to-go-back-to-the-wall/

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Who could have guessed... on 16:38 - Oct 1 with 433 viewsMullet

When I started at my place you'd teach in "zones". Essentially two classrooms with a fold out temporary wall between them, which we were never allowed to put up. Also tables had to be in quads so four students all sit facing each other in pairs and turn sideways to see the board.

At it's most farcical, I'd be teaching History lessons to 11 year olds on Friday last thing whilst my mate would teach geography right next door. Whenever one of us put a video clip on or something interactive on the board the kids would just flit from one lesson to the other.

We also had two open rooms that bookended two traditional classrooms. We were told this was to prepare kids for the future where they'd all work in open plan offices and have to cope with noise, other things going on etc.

They built the walls up after a couple of years. The only positive I can say is years of it makes you a bloody good teacher in many respects.

There are still open zones but most departments don't schedule classes in them wherever possible.

What I forgot to add is it's in line with a lot of Thick of It consultant style woo, where by doing things by analogy and in theory to as many people as possible means it takes on a whole life of its own before gaining enough traction to be rolled out, and passed off as factual.

Kids aren't adults, and even if they did behave exactly like them, there's a critical difference between a 5 years fixed period with exams at the end to 30 years in an office with flexibility to move, or simply retirement to come.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2019 16:47]

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Who could have guessed... on 16:42 - Oct 1 with 429 viewschicoazul

Who could have guessed... on 16:35 - Oct 1 by Illinoisblue

there are so many variables at play, but in this case the headteacher is absolutely fantastic; he sets the tone for everything. He is involved in everything at the school; has lunch with the kids every day, takes part in gym, sends out weekly notes, etc. Kids and parents absolutely love him. So that, obviously, helps a lot.

Thank you brother.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Who could have guessed... on 16:43 - Oct 1 with 427 viewschicoazul

Who could have guessed... on 16:38 - Oct 1 by Mullet

When I started at my place you'd teach in "zones". Essentially two classrooms with a fold out temporary wall between them, which we were never allowed to put up. Also tables had to be in quads so four students all sit facing each other in pairs and turn sideways to see the board.

At it's most farcical, I'd be teaching History lessons to 11 year olds on Friday last thing whilst my mate would teach geography right next door. Whenever one of us put a video clip on or something interactive on the board the kids would just flit from one lesson to the other.

We also had two open rooms that bookended two traditional classrooms. We were told this was to prepare kids for the future where they'd all work in open plan offices and have to cope with noise, other things going on etc.

They built the walls up after a couple of years. The only positive I can say is years of it makes you a bloody good teacher in many respects.

There are still open zones but most departments don't schedule classes in them wherever possible.

What I forgot to add is it's in line with a lot of Thick of It consultant style woo, where by doing things by analogy and in theory to as many people as possible means it takes on a whole life of its own before gaining enough traction to be rolled out, and passed off as factual.

Kids aren't adults, and even if they did behave exactly like them, there's a critical difference between a 5 years fixed period with exams at the end to 30 years in an office with flexibility to move, or simply retirement to come.

Very interesting view from the barricades, TYB.

Who could have guessed... on 17:08 - Oct 1 with 399 viewsGaryCooper

My primary school Halifax, Ipswich, was like this in 1971 so it is nothing new.
Who could have guessed... on 17:13 - Oct 1 with 388 viewsMullet

Who could have guessed... on 17:08 - Oct 1 by GaryCooper

My primary school Halifax, Ipswich, was like this in 1971 so it is nothing new.

At secondary level I believe it was. I competed at a high school academy which was built almost identical to ours but with a few differences i.e. they had option C for the hall where we had option A on the architects giant lego style plans it seems.

The whole principle of this sort of educational feng shui was a massive fashion statement when academies were first rolled out. And then backed up with these "studies" and cod logic.

For 4-10 year olds you can see the practicalities, but scaled up for teenagers it has in my experience been an utter nightmare and meant loads of places have had to squeeze budgets on facilities.

In Manchester there's a massive issue with school places as the current generation is massive. This has meant millions spent on new buildings, whole new schools in some areas and with it a raft of structural and practical issues to fix.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Who could have guessed... on 19:27 - Oct 1 with 355 viewseireblue

If schools are trying to replicate modern work environment, then surely children should be sat at home, in pyjamas, on a Webex paying partial attention to the teacher, whilst vigorously discussing sporting and political topics of the day on popular message boards.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024