Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting development in battery charging 15:39 - Oct 30 with 1292 viewsStokieBlue

If they can scale this and create a battery for cars which charges in under 10 minutes then it's a bit of a game changer and renders arguments around range pretty much void.

Obviously with these things when the study is published it's never certain how the technology will pan out.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2221740-electric-cars-could-charge-in-10-mi

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Interesting development in battery charging on 15:42 - Oct 30 with 1264 viewsIpswichKnight

That would be brilliant news, what stopped me from going electric last time was the battery and recharging issues. It kind of feels that we are now only 1 or 2 innovation steps away from solving those issues which will then leave us with the fundamentally bigger problem of infrastructure issues.

It does feel like we are getting closer to solving the issues.
Interesting development in battery charging on 19:23 - Oct 30 with 1112 viewsGuthrum

Potentially a world-changing breakthrough.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Interesting development in battery charging on 20:37 - Oct 30 with 1027 viewsBloomBlue

Hopefully.

I was on the road a couple of weeks ago and stopped at a service station on the M4 noticed a small queue of cars waiting for a charging point to come free as all had a car already plugged in. After a toilet visit and a cup coffee an approx 20/25 mins later I walked back to the car and the queue was slightly longer but the first car in the queue was still the same car.
I think that would be too much for me waiting over 25 mins to even get to a charging point and then who knows how long they had to waiting for the car to charge I assume around another 30-40 mins.
Interesting development in battery charging on 21:29 - Oct 30 with 972 viewsNewcyBlue

We had a properly good look at the I-Pace last leave. It’s supposed range is just a bit too short for me to drive to Ipswich at the moment.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/charge-driving-jaguar-i-pace-london-

Autocar took their long term review one on a drive to the Frankfurt Motor Show, it was certainly encouraging to read.

I imagine our car after the next new one will be electric.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Interesting development in battery charging on 07:06 - Oct 31 with 812 viewshampstead_blue

Great news, thanks for sharing.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

Interesting development in battery charging on 09:05 - Oct 31 with 749 viewsOldsmoker

This breakthrough brings another off-shoot idea closer.
Trams powered by batteries.
The cost of installing overhead cables to power trams is expensive and the maintenance of these cables is also costly.
A battery-powered tram that gets a 1 minute power-boost at a station while loading/off-loading passengers could do away with the overhead cables altogether. There is sufficient room underneath the tram to house the batteries. A combination of a traditional battery bank that gets re-charged overnight, a KERS-type system for recovering electricity when braking and this quick-charge battery might just do it. I would also add a small fuel tank to drive a diesel engine that drove an electric generator to produce extra power as a 'just-in-case' back-up
If the cost of installing and maintaining a tram system is reduced then it might result in more tram systems.
Of course, they could always develop hydrogen-powered trams as that would also do away with the overhead power cables. China developed them in 2013 but the noise about these has gone away for some reason.
It's a long way off but maybe one day.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024