Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who here is watching The Watchmen? 08:04 - Dec 3 with 818 viewschicoazul

Anyone else watching this weird post-woke post-atomic Squid adaptation/re imaginings of one of the most influential literary works of the latter part of the 20th century? I still can't decide if it's good or not but I do know all the puns get on my thrupenny-bits. Next week is called "A God walks into a bar" oh lord have mercy really. But it is very interesting and I always wondered what kind of world Veidt created with his practical joke.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Who here is watching The Watchmen? on 08:22 - Dec 3 with 783 viewsGuthrum

I haven't been, but I was dubious about how well an adaptation might work, particularly in the modern era of superhero films (with its emphasis on thunderous special effects). Have they changed the characters and plot much?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Who here is watching The Watchmen? on 08:26 - Dec 3 with 780 viewsbluewein

I'm not a fan, and apparently not liking it means you're racist.

Nothing to do with the fact that the guy who made Lost has just made a story and thought "How can I sell this a bit more? I know. I'll take a brilliant piece of work, chuck a couple characters from it in there and say it's just like the Watchmen everyone remembers"...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Who here is watching The Watchmen? on 08:28 - Dec 3 with 774 viewsbluewein

Who here is watching The Watchmen? on 08:22 - Dec 3 by Guthrum

I haven't been, but I was dubious about how well an adaptation might work, particularly in the modern era of superhero films (with its emphasis on thunderous special effects). Have they changed the characters and plot much?

3 of the characters are in it. Rorschach is a symbol of white supremacy. Nothing to do with the original story...

Poll: What should you have your gammon with...?

Who here is watching The Watchmen? on 08:47 - Dec 3 with 745 viewsGuthrum

Who here is watching The Watchmen? on 08:28 - Dec 3 by bluewein

3 of the characters are in it. Rorschach is a symbol of white supremacy. Nothing to do with the original story...

Oh. Loss of subtlety, nuance and moral conflict was one of the things which most concerned me about an adaptaion.

Who here is watching The Watchmen? on 09:24 - Dec 3 with 719 viewsBlueBadger

Rorshach's final act in the comic was to send his diaries to a far-right newspaper and spent a lot of the book ranting about how 'liberals' were ruining the world...
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 9:54]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What would be the funniest relegation on Saturday
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Who here is watching The Watchmen? on 09:28 - Dec 3 with 710 viewsSwansea_Blue

The original Alan Moore comic book is well worth a look, is it?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Who here is watching The Watchmen? on 09:31 - Dec 3 with 699 viewsBlueBadger

Who here is watching The Watchmen? on 09:28 - Dec 3 by Swansea_Blue

The original Alan Moore comic book is well worth a look, is it?

Definitely.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Who here is watching The Watchmen? on 09:47 - Dec 3 with 688 viewsGuthrum

Who here is watching The Watchmen? on 09:24 - Dec 3 by BlueBadger

Rorshach's final act in the comic was to send his diaries to a far-right newspaper and spent a lot of the book ranting about how 'liberals' were ruining the world...
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 9:54]

Yes, it's in character. Rorshach is deeply unpleasant. But it's not as blunt as simply being a cypher for white supremacism.

Login to get fewer ads

Who here is watching The Watchmen? on 09:53 - Dec 3 with 677 viewsBlueBadger

Who here is watching The Watchmen? on 09:47 - Dec 3 by Guthrum

Yes, it's in character. Rorshach is deeply unpleasant. But it's not as blunt as simply being a cypher for white supremacism.

I've not seen the series but isn't it set 35 years after the events of the original with Rorshach's image 'co-opted'(to use the words of the show runners, I believe) by white supremacists rather than anything as black-and-white as 'Hey! Rorshach was a nazi all along', in much the same way as 'V' from 'V for Vendetta' has been co-opted by all sorts of dodgy types here in the real world?
[Post edited 3 Dec 2019 9:59]

Who here is watching The Watchmen? on 10:02 - Dec 3 with 662 viewschicoazul

It certainly doesnt seem unreasonable for Rorschach to be adopted by morons like that, as an avatar for their beliefs, but I am not convinced the 7th Kavalry are indeed racists, I think that's a smokescreen for their larger purpose.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Who here is watching The Watchmen? on 13:09 - Dec 3 with 579 viewsJohnny_Boy

I’m quite enjoying it.

It’s an alternative reality - so anything’s possible I guess.
Who here is watching The Watchmen? on 13:54 - Dec 3 with 553 viewsGeoffSentence

that is an interesting philosophical question, but actually often misunderstood.

In its original latin it was actually closer to who guards the guards, with the guards in question being there to prevent an untrustworthy wife from commiting adultery, but of course, what was there to stop her doing it with the guard.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024