Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The country is broken 09:05 - Jan 6 with 6368 viewsHerbivore

This is pretty sickening. By the end of today, top executives will have earnt more than most working people in the UK will earn this year. By lunchtime they'll have earnt more than newly qualified teachers and nurses. By the end of Friday they'd earnt more than virtually all cleaners, shop workers, waiting staff, teaching assistants, health care assistants, and carers - the people that keep the world ticking over. This level of inequality is utterly absurd and unjustifiable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51000217

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The country is broken on 23:29 - Jan 6 with 489 viewsbaltimore_suey

The country is broken on 21:11 - Jan 6 by BanksterDebtSlave

So someone doesn't have to be in charge....but of course you knew that.

Someone is always in charge, even coops
The country is broken on 00:28 - Jan 7 with 468 viewsjeera

The country is broken on 18:57 - Jan 6 by Oxford_Blue

Not sure any one with ambition to make money goes into those things

You'd like to think people with decent values would go into those things.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The country is broken on 10:04 - Jan 7 with 412 viewsWD19

We are now into page 6 of this thread and still we are choosing to ignore:

1) That this problem is considerably less-worse that in 2015. That doesn't make it OK, but I am not sure why we are treating this as a new thing or as something that is getting worse....it isn't....it is actually getting better.

2) That footballers often earn far more than CEOs and we are giving them a free pass. Somebody mentioned 'scarcity', implying that not everyone can head, kick a ball, but that anyone can have a go at running a £bn company and remuneration committees are paying high wages just for a laugh.

Further down the chain, my CEO (of a c.£250m company) probably earns about x6 times the average salary of their employees. After tax this relativity will be even less. They get up at 5am. Work 7 days a week. They live and breathe everything....including variously anything from dealing with psychopathic clients to comforting families of staff who have died etc.

We can't judge CEOs pay until we walk a day in their shoes. I would not want to do my CEO's job for the level of reward they receive. The role is likely shortening their life, frankly.
The country is broken on 10:52 - Jan 7 with 392 viewsbluebud

"By the end of Friday they'd earnt more than virtually all cleaners, shop workers, waiting staff, teaching assistants, health care assistants, and carers - the people that keep the world ticking over"

.....and that you've been calling thick racists for about three years
The country is broken on 11:15 - Jan 7 with 371 viewsbrazil1982

The country is broken on 10:04 - Jan 7 by WD19

We are now into page 6 of this thread and still we are choosing to ignore:

1) That this problem is considerably less-worse that in 2015. That doesn't make it OK, but I am not sure why we are treating this as a new thing or as something that is getting worse....it isn't....it is actually getting better.

2) That footballers often earn far more than CEOs and we are giving them a free pass. Somebody mentioned 'scarcity', implying that not everyone can head, kick a ball, but that anyone can have a go at running a £bn company and remuneration committees are paying high wages just for a laugh.

Further down the chain, my CEO (of a c.£250m company) probably earns about x6 times the average salary of their employees. After tax this relativity will be even less. They get up at 5am. Work 7 days a week. They live and breathe everything....including variously anything from dealing with psychopathic clients to comforting families of staff who have died etc.

We can't judge CEOs pay until we walk a day in their shoes. I would not want to do my CEO's job for the level of reward they receive. The role is likely shortening their life, frankly.

Actors also earn far more than production staff.

Alan Shearer "earns" £400k / year which I am assuming is far more than the "average" for a BBC employee.

C Palace average wage for a footballer is £2.7m.
There are (approx.) 4000 professional footballers in England - hardly a scarcity.

I don't see a call to cap Actor or Sports wages on here. Many show their (justified I guess) disgust at the payment levels of CEOs, compare them to cannot-be-criticised teachers and nurses and dismiss any remarks defending CEOs.
The country is broken on 11:22 - Jan 7 with 361 viewsHerbivore

The country is broken on 10:52 - Jan 7 by bluebud

"By the end of Friday they'd earnt more than virtually all cleaners, shop workers, waiting staff, teaching assistants, health care assistants, and carers - the people that keep the world ticking over"

.....and that you've been calling thick racists for about three years

Stalkers gonna stalk. It's getting a bit creepy now, mate.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The country is broken on 11:33 - Jan 7 with 352 viewsBackToRussia

The country is broken on 11:15 - Jan 7 by brazil1982

Actors also earn far more than production staff.

Alan Shearer "earns" £400k / year which I am assuming is far more than the "average" for a BBC employee.

C Palace average wage for a footballer is £2.7m.
There are (approx.) 4000 professional footballers in England - hardly a scarcity.

I don't see a call to cap Actor or Sports wages on here. Many show their (justified I guess) disgust at the payment levels of CEOs, compare them to cannot-be-criticised teachers and nurses and dismiss any remarks defending CEOs.

People talk about stuff like that all the time..
Highlighting more inequality isn't really an argument for continued inequality is it.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024