Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our strike force 08:04 - Feb 7 with 6561 viewsKeaneish

The lads on Blue Monday raised a lot of interesting points this week during what was probably the most sombre podcast of theirs i've ever listened to, for obvious reasons. There was a unanimous feeling that the Posh's strike force is easily better than ours and that we're looking at our strike force through a lens of what has been rather than the now. Is that true?

As Maddison is still a Posh player for now i've kept him in and selected Bishop over the ailing Judge regardless of whether you think Bishop is a number 10 or not, he can play there.
Which 5 of these would you select?

Maddison, Szmodics, Eisa, Toney, Dembele

Keane, Norwood, Sears, Jackson, Bishop

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] テつ」2.65 Million and Waiting?

Our strike force on 10:59 - Feb 7 with 2061 viewsBiGDonnie

I'd have Szmodic, Maddison and Toney over the five you've selected of ours.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Our strike force on 10:59 - Feb 7 with 2062 viewsKeaneish

Our strike force on 09:19 - Feb 7 by SWGF

Wouldn't you take their player in every one of those instances (apart from maybe Jackson over Dembele, possibly)?

Think you'll see how they're rated in their next transfer values.

Sears and Norwood would make the cut for me. I don't rate Eisa that much. I know he had a great season or so at Cheltenham and he's done well to a point this season but a fully fit up and running Freddie is better than Eisa.

Jackson over Dembele possibly but Jackson's touch has been shocking at times.

Our strike force on 11:00 - Feb 7 with 2058 viewsHerbivore

Our strike force on 10:56 - Feb 7 by Keaneish

The same game as you and i saw our defensive frailties being the difference rather than their attacking superiority being the telling factor as epitomised by Posh's first goal.

Our defensive record is (or was) the best in the division. I think you're seeing this in a rather myopic way. They exposed our defence with good attacking play, second goal aside which was a literal gift. By contrast, Peterborough have a pretty poor defensive record and we rarely looked like scoring.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Our strike force on 11:21 - Feb 7 with 2042 viewsKeaneish

Our strike force on 11:00 - Feb 7 by Herbivore

Our defensive record is (or was) the best in the division. I think you're seeing this in a rather myopic way. They exposed our defence with good attacking play, second goal aside which was a literal gift. By contrast, Peterborough have a pretty poor defensive record and we rarely looked like scoring.

I'd argue and maintain the argument that our defending was shocking which gave them their goals. Granted they need to exploit and put the ball in the net but they should never be in those positions in the first place to have those opportunities. Look at these freeze frames...

The moment Toney plays that ball. Defensively our shape is how it should be but look at the chasm Toney has to operate in. Granted its a good ball but the time he had to make the pass is ridiculous.

Here's another where time and space is afforded in midfield and at the back

And after Wilson's calamitous misreading, where's Edwards on the cover!?

Its so amateurish its painful to rewatch. Couldn't work out how to embed the images!

[Post edited 7 Feb 2020 11:26]

Our strike force on 11:23 - Feb 7 with 2036 viewsChrisd

Our strike force on 08:49 - Feb 7 by Keaneish

I think it's more the other other way. He's tried a lot, too much. Every game a new approach or a new system or a tinker here or there cost us. When we did finally get a system that was working and it needed tinkering to accommodate Rotherham, we rested on our laurels. It feels hapless, naive and like we're relying on better players to win it.

Perfect example of naivety in my opinion is the Rotherham game. We know they're going to launch balls into our box with their giants and we have a 6'7" keeper o the bench! I get that Norris could remain for consistency and he'd done well in a few games but so what? Nobody would have begrudged the decision to bring Holy in for that game to sweep every high ball up and completely nullify Rotherham's main threat.

If you are a decent manager you work on positioning, shape and team structure during the week. Even if you are Jurgen Klopp you work to counter the opposition's strengths. I don't agree we rested on our laurels against Rotherham, we've been thoroughly outplayed by them twice, it is what it is they are a far better side than us and play to their strengths and we couldn't cope. What I do believe is PL is naive and for an experienced manager that is a real concern in going forwards.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Our strike force on 11:27 - Feb 7 with 2030 viewsKeaneish

Our strike force on 11:23 - Feb 7 by Chrisd

If you are a decent manager you work on positioning, shape and team structure during the week. Even if you are Jurgen Klopp you work to counter the opposition's strengths. I don't agree we rested on our laurels against Rotherham, we've been thoroughly outplayed by them twice, it is what it is they are a far better side than us and play to their strengths and we couldn't cope. What I do believe is PL is naive and for an experienced manager that is a real concern in going forwards.

See those above still images to your point about shape and structure, i agree. Agree regarding PL's naivety. I've posted as much before.

Our strike force on 11:54 - Feb 7 with 2022 viewsOsborneOneNil

Our strike force on 08:43 - Feb 7 by Keaneish

I don't see too much between Toney and Norwood. I'd take either in my side. Agreed he might well play higher but haven't seen enough of him to see how clinical he is. hey had a spell of 6 games i think it was without registering this season which may suggest he has a bit of the Norwood's about him.

Eisa for Keane? Maddison for Sears? It's not as clear cut as the Blue Monday lot made out i don't think.

What??

It's clear as day.
Our strike force on 12:58 - Feb 7 with 1997 viewsKeaneish

Our strike force on 11:54 - Feb 7 by OsborneOneNil

What??

It's clear as day.

Which bit? Toney being much better than Norwood?

Login to get fewer ads

Our strike force on 13:01 - Feb 7 with 1992 viewsHerbivore

Our strike force on 11:21 - Feb 7 by Keaneish

I'd argue and maintain the argument that our defending was shocking which gave them their goals. Granted they need to exploit and put the ball in the net but they should never be in those positions in the first place to have those opportunities. Look at these freeze frames...

The moment Toney plays that ball. Defensively our shape is how it should be but look at the chasm Toney has to operate in. Granted its a good ball but the time he had to make the pass is ridiculous.

Here's another where time and space is afforded in midfield and at the back

And after Wilson's calamitous misreading, where's Edwards on the cover!?

Its so amateurish its painful to rewatch. Couldn't work out how to embed the images!

[Post edited 7 Feb 2020 11:26]

So if it's down to a poor defence rather than Peterborough being good in attack, why did we have the best defensive record in the league prior to last weekend?

Our strike force on 13:20 - Feb 7 with 1973 viewsKeaneish

Our strike force on 13:01 - Feb 7 by Herbivore

So if it's down to a poor defence rather than Peterborough being good in attack, why did we have the best defensive record in the league prior to last weekend?

I'm not saying they don't have a good attack, they do and one of the best in the division. The point of the thread was that there was a unanimous decision on Blue Monday that Posh's attack was superior to ours but it was looked at through the lens of last Saturday's debacle.

No doubt they have quality but my point is we made them look far better than they are with some p*ss poor defending and some naive tactics. We do have one of the better defensive records but it's ailing and is partly the reason for our slide as epitomised Saturday.

3 clean sheets in 16 in all competitions.

Butcher's role is very timely!
[Post edited 7 Feb 2020 13:22]

Our strike force on 13:35 - Feb 7 with 1965 viewsHerbivore

Our strike force on 13:20 - Feb 7 by Keaneish

I'm not saying they don't have a good attack, they do and one of the best in the division. The point of the thread was that there was a unanimous decision on Blue Monday that Posh's attack was superior to ours but it was looked at through the lens of last Saturday's debacle.

No doubt they have quality but my point is we made them look far better than they are with some p*ss poor defending and some naive tactics. We do have one of the better defensive records but it's ailing and is partly the reason for our slide as epitomised Saturday.

3 clean sheets in 16 in all competitions.

Butcher's role is very timely!
[Post edited 7 Feb 2020 13:22]

I think if you look at goals and assists and just what they generally bring it's very hard to argue that their attacking options aren't stronger than ours. I think it's pretty clearcut personally.

Our strike force on 13:50 - Feb 7 with 1952 viewsCoastalblue

Our strike force on 12:58 - Feb 7 by Keaneish

Which bit? Toney being much better than Norwood?

Do you really think they are that close? A lot of people rate Toney as being one of the best players in the division, Norwood is being kept out of the side by either Jackson or Keane, probably rightly so but mny don't rate them.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Our strike force on 14:42 - Feb 7 with 1929 viewsOsborneOneNil

Our strike force on 13:35 - Feb 7 by Herbivore

I think if you look at goals and assists and just what they generally bring it's very hard to argue that their attacking options aren't stronger than ours. I think it's pretty clearcut personally.

We agree on something!!
Our strike force on 15:13 - Feb 7 with 1913 viewsHerbivore

Our strike force on 14:42 - Feb 7 by OsborneOneNil

We agree on something!!

You can't be wrong all the time.

Our strike force on 15:35 - Feb 7 with 1901 viewsKeaneish

Our strike force on 13:50 - Feb 7 by Coastalblue

Do you really think they are that close? A lot of people rate Toney as being one of the best players in the division, Norwood is being kept out of the side by either Jackson or Keane, probably rightly so but mny don't rate them.

Yeah i do. There's a lot of similarities to their game. I've said on here i think Toney is the better of the two and goals per game this season would suggest that. Norwood will end up with somewhere between 16 - 18 this season if he plays every game between now and the end of the season according to his career goals per game average.

I think its very notable the difference Norwood brings to our side and the difference in us when he doesn't play, mostly. Keane for all his ability has been largely ineffectual. No brainer for me, especially the situation we now find ourselves in.

Our strike force on 16:03 - Feb 7 with 1885 viewsHerbivore

Our strike force on 15:35 - Feb 7 by Keaneish

Yeah i do. There's a lot of similarities to their game. I've said on here i think Toney is the better of the two and goals per game this season would suggest that. Norwood will end up with somewhere between 16 - 18 this season if he plays every game between now and the end of the season according to his career goals per game average.

I think its very notable the difference Norwood brings to our side and the difference in us when he doesn't play, mostly. Keane for all his ability has been largely ineffectual. No brainer for me, especially the situation we now find ourselves in.

Norwood isn't half the player Toney is, imo. I like him and I'd be playing him ahead of Keane, but I'd bite your hand off to swap him for Toney.

Our strike force on 20:26 - Feb 7 with 1849 viewsmichaeldownunder

As a stand alone game only Flynn would be in a combined Town Posh team, hard to say about Garbutt as he was off after 15 min.

Their movement off the ball in the final third pulled our defence all over the place, the only Town player to see their runs seemed to be Cole Skues and when he tracked back and passed the ball to our goalkeeper we gave them the goal that killed the game off.

Judge looked like one of those journey men footballers we used to have, just doing enough to get his paycheque extras to stay in the team but not much else.

I would have had had Ben Morris on the bench as an extra goal threat and Dozzer would have been on at half time for Judge.

On the other hand we are forth and could go to Sunderland, score the first goal and win the game. BUT if we let the first goal in early it could be like last season all over again.
Our strike force on 20:31 - Feb 7 with 1846 viewsKeaneish

Our strike force on 20:26 - Feb 7 by michaeldownunder

As a stand alone game only Flynn would be in a combined Town Posh team, hard to say about Garbutt as he was off after 15 min.

Their movement off the ball in the final third pulled our defence all over the place, the only Town player to see their runs seemed to be Cole Skues and when he tracked back and passed the ball to our goalkeeper we gave them the goal that killed the game off.

Judge looked like one of those journey men footballers we used to have, just doing enough to get his paycheque extras to stay in the team but not much else.

I would have had had Ben Morris on the bench as an extra goal threat and Dozzer would have been on at half time for Judge.

On the other hand we are forth and could go to Sunderland, score the first goal and win the game. BUT if we let the first goal in early it could be like last season all over again.

Id find a place in that Posh starting 11 for Holy, Wolfenden, Downes, Huws, KVY, Garbutt and Norwood.

Our strike force on 20:50 - Feb 7 with 1834 viewsmichaeldownunder

Our strike force on 20:31 - Feb 7 by Keaneish

Id find a place in that Posh starting 11 for Holy, Wolfenden, Downes, Huws, KVY, Garbutt and Norwood.

I would too, but as I stated at the start of my pce this was written as a stand alone game view.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024