Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wewerezombies 19:49 - Mar 14 with 2848 viewsnoggin

Norway now closed to non residents.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Wewerezombies on 21:54 - Mar 14 with 824 viewsTrequartista

Wewerezombies on 21:46 - Mar 14 by jeera

Not necessarily. That could only be worked out by finding out where it was contracted case by case and other particulars.

If the time of year does dictate X amount of skiing holidays, (example only), so then tens get traced to a spot; say a resort, then they return home before displaying symptoms, then the thing they would all have in common is they are healthy individuals; enough to go skiing anyway.

Again, I feel compelled to say, I may have made that up, but if it were the case of profiling, it could make some sense.

I quite accept there are circumstances, unknowns and what-ifs, I just think the figures are a) so dramatically different from other countries and b) so low compared to the estimated death rate, that there must be a reason for it.
Germany has had more positive cases than France, but only 8 deaths compared to 91 in France.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Wewerezombies on 22:00 - Mar 14 with 804 viewsjeera

Wewerezombies on 21:54 - Mar 14 by Trequartista

I quite accept there are circumstances, unknowns and what-ifs, I just think the figures are a) so dramatically different from other countries and b) so low compared to the estimated death rate, that there must be a reason for it.
Germany has had more positive cases than France, but only 8 deaths compared to 91 in France.

Well, yes, I don't think that's too unlikely to at least consider.

Locations, cultural differences, all must play a part.

Timescale...

And, do you know what? Some genetic nuances maybe; so tolerances that we haven't been informed about too?

I know, that's back on the 'circumstances', but there are circumstances there. I mean, my family live a mere 150 miles to the north of me in the midlands, but the temperature and other weather conditions differ greatly pretty much daily to where I live in Suffolk.

Its spread efficiency might count by region.

Edit: last sentence made less sense than it does now.
[Post edited 14 Mar 2020 22:10]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Wewerezombies on 22:18 - Mar 14 with 785 viewsTrequartista

Wewerezombies on 22:00 - Mar 14 by jeera

Timescale...

And, do you know what? Some genetic nuances maybe; so tolerances that we haven't been informed about too?

I know, that's back on the 'circumstances', but there are circumstances there. I mean, my family live a mere 150 miles to the north of me in the midlands, but the temperature and other weather conditions differ greatly pretty much daily to where I live in Suffolk.

It is weird living in Suffolk at the moment, you feel the virus could be anywhere but there are practically no cases in East Anglia at all - yet.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Wewerezombies on 22:19 - Mar 14 with 782 viewsMelford

Wewerezombies on 22:00 - Mar 14 by jeera

Timescale...

We never really get any bad weather in Suffolk compared to other parts of the country. When there's hurricane, flood or snow warnings we only tend to get a milder version of what everybody else gets, we seem to miss out on the bad stuff by virtue of our location

It could be partly down to the fact that the Southern Europeans like Italians and Spanish are a lot more tactile when they meet, all hugging and kissing whereas your Scandinavians and Germans are a bit more standoffish and just say hello, maybe the odd handshake.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Wewerezombies on 22:24 - Mar 14 with 777 viewsjeera

Wewerezombies on 22:19 - Mar 14 by Melford

We never really get any bad weather in Suffolk compared to other parts of the country. When there's hurricane, flood or snow warnings we only tend to get a milder version of what everybody else gets, we seem to miss out on the bad stuff by virtue of our location

It could be partly down to the fact that the Southern Europeans like Italians and Spanish are a lot more tactile when they meet, all hugging and kissing whereas your Scandinavians and Germans are a bit more standoffish and just say hello, maybe the odd handshake.

We've always seemed to have our own climate.

On those occasions we've been snowed under it's come from the East, and we bear the brunt.

But yes, it is rare. Most of worst weather comes from the West and we get away with it.

Crop wise, we are the arable capital. Great soil and conditions, but unfortunately amongst the least rainfall too.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Wewerezombies on 22:34 - Mar 14 with 772 viewsWeWereZombies

Thanks noggin, have been keeping tabs on all the likely outcomes and realise that should the boat go all that would happen in Oslo would be a couple of weeks quarantine and then, probably, a flight back to England. We are almost certainly going to cancel the trip and leave our Norwegian odyssey for another time.

Thanks for looking out for me.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Wewerezombies on 00:36 - Mar 15 with 722 viewsKingsCrossBlue

Wewerezombies on 22:34 - Mar 14 by WeWereZombies

Thanks noggin, have been keeping tabs on all the likely outcomes and realise that should the boat go all that would happen in Oslo would be a couple of weeks quarantine and then, probably, a flight back to England. We are almost certainly going to cancel the trip and leave our Norwegian odyssey for another time.

Thanks for looking out for me.

Gutted about the timing of all of this. I was due to fly to Svalbard next Saturday to measure glacial reduction and track polar bears for a few weeks, but that’s certainly had the brakes put on. It’s a shame as March is a big gap in the scientific calendar of research to measure what’s going on.

Needs must though I guess. I don’t agree with the way the UK is going about this crisis. It feels like the entire ‘herd immunity’ idea will end in a TV campaign with the likes of Jenny Powell and Nick Knowles spitting in each other’s eyes to encourage the public to get the infected numbers up to 60%.

I’m pretty sure everything will get a lot worse before it gets better.

Sorry if I have a down vote - fat fingers trying to do the opposite
Wewerezombies on 06:16 - Mar 15 with 679 viewsWeWereZombies

Wewerezombies on 00:36 - Mar 15 by KingsCrossBlue

Gutted about the timing of all of this. I was due to fly to Svalbard next Saturday to measure glacial reduction and track polar bears for a few weeks, but that’s certainly had the brakes put on. It’s a shame as March is a big gap in the scientific calendar of research to measure what’s going on.

Needs must though I guess. I don’t agree with the way the UK is going about this crisis. It feels like the entire ‘herd immunity’ idea will end in a TV campaign with the likes of Jenny Powell and Nick Knowles spitting in each other’s eyes to encourage the public to get the infected numbers up to 60%.

I’m pretty sure everything will get a lot worse before it gets better.

Sorry if I have a down vote - fat fingers trying to do the opposite

Don't worry about the down vote, it is important for posters on TWTD to learn that life does not depend on uppies...

I'm gutted for you too, your trip sounds like it was a much more worthwhile enterprise than mine, more uncomfortable and perilous too. Here's hoping the breaks get released soon for those doing research and you can get some work in this season.

Login to get fewer ads

Wewerezombies on 09:34 - Mar 15 with 643 viewsKingsCrossBlue

Wewerezombies on 06:16 - Mar 15 by WeWereZombies

Don't worry about the down vote, it is important for posters on TWTD to learn that life does not depend on uppies...

I'm gutted for you too, your trip sounds like it was a much more worthwhile enterprise than mine, more uncomfortable and perilous too. Here's hoping the breaks get released soon for those doing research and you can get some work in this season.

Thanks mate, I was really looking forward to it despite the minus 24c temperatures.

I must say SAS airlines have been great. I can change my flight free of charge but have to fly before Nov 20th and a complete refund if they cancel. Pretty inevitable that some airlines will go to the wall in the next few months.
Wewerezombies on 09:50 - Mar 15 with 633 viewsWeWereZombies

Wewerezombies on 09:34 - Mar 15 by KingsCrossBlue

Thanks mate, I was really looking forward to it despite the minus 24c temperatures.

I must say SAS airlines have been great. I can change my flight free of charge but have to fly before Nov 20th and a complete refund if they cancel. Pretty inevitable that some airlines will go to the wall in the next few months.

You may have some chance of getting your money back now if you press them, they have been unable to perform the contracted service. We have been offered a re-booking if we cancel that will also have a ten percent discount on top of what we paid. This is an attractive proposition and we have until the end of next year to take the alternative trip but I am still inclined towards the 'bird in the hand is worth two in the bush' view.

Wewerezombies on 16:59 - Mar 15 with 589 viewsnoggin

Wewerezombies on 09:34 - Mar 15 by KingsCrossBlue

SAS have just announced that they are laying off 10,000 staff, which is 90% of the total number of employees.
[Post edited 15 Mar 2020 17:02]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Wewerezombies on 17:02 - Mar 15 with 583 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Wewerezombies on 20:36 - Mar 14 by BloomBlue

Nobody knows yet thats one of the many questions about this virus.

Not sure who the expert was on Radio5 earlier but he was excellent answering the public's questions on the virus. But he was making that point same with the uk our numbers are low when you look at Italy and Spain. Spain esp if you look at their first case and the rapid increase in total numbers compared with uk and the Scandinavia countries its strange. He said it's one of those questions nobody has an answer to other than its definitely reacting differently in different countries.

He made the point about the flu epidemic in late 60' at this stage of the outbreak in the UK 100,000s had already caught it and 1000s died whereas in other Countries the numbers never reached that level and they've never understood why the numbers why so high in some countries and not others.

Just a suggestion, but could there be optimum temperatures for the spread and development of the virus that we fall outside currently?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024