Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A suggestion 15:26 - Mar 19 with 1837 viewsSouthBucksBlue

The herd immunity strategy was ruled out very quickly when it was realised that the mortality price would be too high but there’s much debate about what happens after containment with no exit strategy.
I realise that re-infection is not impossible but what if there was a volunteer program for low risk members of the public to be infected in a supervised way so you’d know and could immediately isolate so that herd immunity could be achieved without the mortality cost?
I’d volunteer.

A suggestion on 15:39 - Mar 19 with 1785 viewsElephantintheRoom

Don't worry - you already have volunteered.

By hoodwinking the public into thinking something was being done... eg isolating a few unhappy cruise ship pensioners - but waving everybody else in - even if flying in from italy and other virusy places and waving them off into their communities, the government has started something it cannot stop.

By ignoring what seems to have been successful -testing and isolation of all infected people with massive clampdown on movement, the government has started something that cannot be stopped

by cutting back on care in the community and hospital beds - then doubling down with Brexit leaving huge gaps in funding and manpower, the government has started something that cannot be stopped.

By lying about infection numbers the government has started something that cannot be stopped.

By rewarding tax-cut voting Tory voters with the lowest hospital bed per person count - approx half the emergency bed cover of say italy, a third of germany and russia the government has started something that cannot be stopped.

Even today the PM has inexplicably refused to stop 'free movement' of the british people... a tory must have - that of course mustn't apply to nasty foreigners...knowing that he has condemned thousands to die.

You've already volunteered - they just didnt ask you

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

A suggestion on 15:50 - Mar 19 with 1744 viewsSouthBucksBlue

A suggestion on 15:39 - Mar 19 by ElephantintheRoom

Don't worry - you already have volunteered.

By hoodwinking the public into thinking something was being done... eg isolating a few unhappy cruise ship pensioners - but waving everybody else in - even if flying in from italy and other virusy places and waving them off into their communities, the government has started something it cannot stop.

By ignoring what seems to have been successful -testing and isolation of all infected people with massive clampdown on movement, the government has started something that cannot be stopped

by cutting back on care in the community and hospital beds - then doubling down with Brexit leaving huge gaps in funding and manpower, the government has started something that cannot be stopped.

By lying about infection numbers the government has started something that cannot be stopped.

By rewarding tax-cut voting Tory voters with the lowest hospital bed per person count - approx half the emergency bed cover of say italy, a third of germany and russia the government has started something that cannot be stopped.

Even today the PM has inexplicably refused to stop 'free movement' of the british people... a tory must have - that of course mustn't apply to nasty foreigners...knowing that he has condemned thousands to die.

You've already volunteered - they just didnt ask you

In the scenario you describe nobody realises when they get it until such time as they might have infected who knows how many vulnerable people.
I’m suggesting a way of building up herd immunity and thus providing an exit strategy with low risk.
A suggestion on 15:56 - Mar 19 with 1711 viewsmonytowbray

A suggestion on 15:50 - Mar 19 by SouthBucksBlue

In the scenario you describe nobody realises when they get it until such time as they might have infected who knows how many vulnerable people.
I’m suggesting a way of building up herd immunity and thus providing an exit strategy with low risk.

I think his main point is we're f*cked.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

A suggestion on 16:09 - Mar 19 with 1678 viewsBugs

A suggestion on 15:56 - Mar 19 by monytowbray

I think his main point is we're f*cked.

The herd immunity strategy was flawed in the first place. The science didn't change.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/18/coronavirus-uk-expert-advi
A suggestion on 16:16 - Mar 19 with 1655 viewsBLUEBEAT

Re-infection is not possible?

Pretty sure I’ve read about people from first wave in China, Japan and cruiseships succumbing to a second bout?

Poll: W or W

A suggestion on 16:24 - Mar 19 with 1620 viewsmonytowbray

A suggestion on 16:09 - Mar 19 by Bugs

The herd immunity strategy was flawed in the first place. The science didn't change.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/18/coronavirus-uk-expert-advi

Science doesn't "change" and it worries me anyone in a senior scientific position would talk in such a way. Data changes decisions, but nothing happened between Friday and Monday to suggest the virus had evolved.

It's madness.

TWTD never forgets…

A suggestion on 16:33 - Mar 19 with 1564 viewsBloomBlue

That's one scientist opinion.
A suggestion on 16:39 - Mar 19 with 1546 viewsDanTheMan

A suggestion on 16:24 - Mar 19 by monytowbray

Science doesn't "change" and it worries me anyone in a senior scientific position would talk in such a way. Data changes decisions, but nothing happened between Friday and Monday to suggest the virus had evolved.

It's madness.

Science doesn't "change"

It very much does.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

A suggestion on 16:51 - Mar 19 with 1511 viewsmonytowbray

A suggestion on 16:39 - Mar 19 by DanTheMan

Science doesn't "change"

It very much does.

Data changes our understanding of science. Dunno, just seems like a very odd line to push out without saying what changed, how and why.

TWTD never forgets…

A suggestion on 16:54 - Mar 19 with 1498 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Undoubtedly yes.
But isn’t the 1% mortality rate a mean rate. Amongst vulnerable people it’s much higher but much lower for people with no underlying health conditions and who are fit with a stronger ability to recover.
The flaw was the extent to which the infection would have been spread to vulnerable people before infection was realised. If infection is immediately known, that wouldn’t happen.
I’m not seeing much in the way of other solutions other than wait 18 months for a vaccine.
A suggestion on 17:11 - Mar 19 with 1461 viewsBugs

A suggestion on 16:54 - Mar 19 by SouthBucksBlue

Undoubtedly yes.
But isn’t the 1% mortality rate a mean rate. Amongst vulnerable people it’s much higher but much lower for people with no underlying health conditions and who are fit with a stronger ability to recover.
The flaw was the extent to which the infection would have been spread to vulnerable people before infection was realised. If infection is immediately known, that wouldn’t happen.
I’m not seeing much in the way of other solutions other than wait 18 months for a vaccine.

Due to the poor Government response to this, our options aren't what they could have been now that's for certain.

On a positive note there are hopes of treatments for the virus to arrive, which may help keep a lid on things before a vaccine can be produced. I have heard of 2 breakthroughs independent of each other on this, one in Canada and one in the Netherlands....but still months away if they turn out to be successful.
A suggestion on 17:32 - Mar 19 with 1429 viewsElephantintheRoom

A suggestion on 17:11 - Mar 19 by Bugs

Due to the poor Government response to this, our options aren't what they could have been now that's for certain.

On a positive note there are hopes of treatments for the virus to arrive, which may help keep a lid on things before a vaccine can be produced. I have heard of 2 breakthroughs independent of each other on this, one in Canada and one in the Netherlands....but still months away if they turn out to be successful.

There are three salient points from all this.

1. We are at the end of the line in European transmission. From the very first coverage of China clearing ground and creating vast temporary hospitals it was clear that decisive and extraordianry action was needed. Nothing in the infection patterns seen since in the far east has alterred this blindingly obvious view. Nohing has been learned.

2. Strong leadership, honesty and transparency are needed. Unfortunately we have the polar opposite.

3. Decades of cynical cuts have created a vacuum in our healthcare system.. Even in a normal year a GI 'bug' creates meltdown in the NHS, Faced with a global catastrphe we are little better off than a third world country. Hence the collapse in the pound.

Be careful what you wish for has become a bit of a cliche for ITFC supporters. Anybody who voted Tory in the last decade should be hanging their heads in shame - and handing their toilet paper and hospital places to more deserving cases.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

A suggestion on 18:55 - Mar 19 with 1367 viewsFreddies_Ears

A suggestion on 16:39 - Mar 19 by DanTheMan

Science doesn't "change"

It very much does.

According to the editor of The Lancet, the suggestion that the science has changed is rubbish.
A suggestion on 19:15 - Mar 19 with 1345 viewsNthQldITFC

Logically I think that makes a lot of sense. Clamp down hard on the general public and pass as many willing volunteers through a controlled infect->support->test->release|bury cycle as possible, as quickly as possible.

Whether that could ever be possible in any known human society, with emotion, litigation etc. prevalent is another matter.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

A suggestion on 20:44 - Mar 19 with 1264 viewsSouthBucksBlue

A suggestion on 19:15 - Mar 19 by NthQldITFC

Logically I think that makes a lot of sense. Clamp down hard on the general public and pass as many willing volunteers through a controlled infect->support->test->release|bury cycle as possible, as quickly as possible.

Whether that could ever be possible in any known human society, with emotion, litigation etc. prevalent is another matter.

At least someone agrees with me!
A suggestion on 21:35 - Mar 19 with 1225 viewsjeera

No need to worry anymore, as Trump has the answers as usual:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/19/coronavirus-drug-trump-confusion

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024