Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Interesting comments here from Virgin Atlantic 09:19 - Mar 30 with 711 viewsuefacup81

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52085701

Furloughed airline staff are being asked to assist at the new Nightingale hospitals in order to make use of their skills, which can only be a good thing.

What is interesting is the comment that:

"Those who sign up will support nurses and clinicians at the coronavirus field hospital, the NHS said.

Virgin Atlantic said furloughed staff who helped would be paid through the government retention scheme."

Maybe it's just poorly worded (or poorly understood by me!) but the suggestion here is Virgin will only sign their staff up to the Job Retention Scheme if they offer to help out at the hospital. Slightly naughty, no?
[Post edited 30 Mar 2020 9:19]

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Interesting comments here from Virgin Atlantic on 09:25 - Mar 30 with 652 viewsStokieBlue

I think you are reading too much into this - it's not the best wording as you say.

Doesn't it just mean that they will still be eligible even though they are "working". You are supposed to take furlough scheme cash and then work somewhere else.

This would seem to be shown by the other quotes:

"In addition to the hospital in east London, staff at Virgin Atlantic and EasyJet have been invited to volunteer at the sites planned at Birmingham's NEC and the Manchester Central conference centre."

"Virgin Atlantic said staff who took up the offer would be given free accommodation and meals."

It's basically because they already have first aid training as it's a requirement of their job on the aircraft.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Interesting comments here from Virgin Atlantic on 09:28 - Mar 30 with 635 viewsuefacup81

Interesting comments here from Virgin Atlantic on 09:25 - Mar 30 by StokieBlue

I think you are reading too much into this - it's not the best wording as you say.

Doesn't it just mean that they will still be eligible even though they are "working". You are supposed to take furlough scheme cash and then work somewhere else.

This would seem to be shown by the other quotes:

"In addition to the hospital in east London, staff at Virgin Atlantic and EasyJet have been invited to volunteer at the sites planned at Birmingham's NEC and the Manchester Central conference centre."

"Virgin Atlantic said staff who took up the offer would be given free accommodation and meals."

It's basically because they already have first aid training as it's a requirement of their job on the aircraft.

SB

Cheers - I'd hoped that it was poorly worded, but given the attitude of old Beardy Branson throughout all of this I wouldn't have been surprised if he'd placed conditions on their furlough pay!

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Interesting comments here from Virgin Atlantic on 09:31 - Mar 30 with 625 viewsfactual_blue

The work at the Nightingale hospitals is as volunteers, but Virgin will continue to pay them, using retention scheme money. Don't see that those staff who don't volunteer will be penalised. I don't think the terms of the scheme would allow employers to select between staff in that way.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Interesting comments here from Virgin Atlantic on 09:46 - Mar 30 with 599 viewsGuthrum

I read that as staff who volunteer will continue to be paid through the government retention scheme, i.e. despite volunteering elsewhere, they will still count as furloughed Virgin crew.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024