Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I did not realise there had been loads of those Government debunking blogs 10:07 - May 19 with 1092 viewsDanTheMan

I remember the one about the Sunday Times story that blew up, but didn't realise they have actually been doing this about quite a few stories, even from regional papers.

Not really too sure how I feel about it.
[Post edited 19 May 2020 10:07]

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

I did not realise there had been loads of those Government debunking blogs on 10:37 - May 19 with 1026 viewsSwansea_Blue

That seems a reasonable summary. I've seen all of these played out in real time and he's right - there's been a concerted PR effort to try to discredit a number of respectable journalists using falsehoods. It's highly unprofessional and hints to some serious emotional instability behind the scenes somewhere - I'm tempted to think that Cummings is behind a lot of this given his position, but that may be a lazy conclusion as I've no evidence.

They seem to be permanently stuck in protest-type campaign mode.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I did not realise there had been loads of those Government debunking blogs on 10:37 - May 19 with 1027 viewsSteve_M

Judging by both the Sunday Times story and Peter Forster's piece in the FT on ventilators then it is those that have got a bit too close to the bone that really inspire these angsty replies. This remains a government obsessed with spin and positioning rather more than doing anything.

In honour of the Streisland effect, here's Jennifer Williams' story on homelessness that was one of them:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/mayor-deman

And Lewis Goodall's bit on carehomes:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I did not realise there had been loads of those Government debunking blogs on 10:44 - May 19 with 1009 viewsDarth_Koont

Yes, I've seen a few questions raised re: unusual government responses but good to have these incidences all in one place.

I suppose the question is: what was normal practice before? And the follow-up: is this unique to a major crisis like Coronavirus or signifying a more permanent shift?

But considering we've now got a government that is more or less a collection of political gamers, nudgers, manipulators and often liars then we should definitely, definitely Stay Alert to them.

Pronouns: He/Him

I did not realise there had been loads of those Government debunking blogs on 10:49 - May 19 with 998 viewseireblue

I did not realise there had been loads of those Government debunking blogs on 10:37 - May 19 by Swansea_Blue

That seems a reasonable summary. I've seen all of these played out in real time and he's right - there's been a concerted PR effort to try to discredit a number of respectable journalists using falsehoods. It's highly unprofessional and hints to some serious emotional instability behind the scenes somewhere - I'm tempted to think that Cummings is behind a lot of this given his position, but that may be a lazy conclusion as I've no evidence.

They seem to be permanently stuck in protest-type campaign mode.

Is this the government that is lead by someone that wanted a journalist beaten up?

Hmmm, I have a suspicion of where some emotional instability may originate.

Trickle down politics?
[Post edited 19 May 2020 13:03]
I did not realise there had been loads of those Government debunking blogs on 11:07 - May 19 with 971 viewsmonytowbray

I did not realise there had been loads of those Government debunking blogs on 10:49 - May 19 by eireblue

Is this the government that is lead by someone that wanted a journalist beaten up?

Hmmm, I have a suspicion of where some emotional instability may originate.

Trickle down politics?
[Post edited 19 May 2020 13:03]

But Corbyn.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

I did not realise there had been loads of those Government debunking blogs on 11:45 - May 19 with 941 viewsjaykay

I did not realise there had been loads of those Government debunking blogs on 11:07 - May 19 by monytowbray

But Corbyn.

to think all the stick you took, when you started to criticise this shower in control of government.
i think you were told to" grow up ffs" by one poster. those posters have been fairly quiet of late on that subject

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

I did not realise there had been loads of those Government debunking blogs on 13:00 - May 19 with 890 viewseireblue

I did not realise there had been loads of those Government debunking blogs on 11:45 - May 19 by jaykay

to think all the stick you took, when you started to criticise this shower in control of government.
i think you were told to" grow up ffs" by one poster. those posters have been fairly quiet of late on that subject

I think one of the interesting things that has happened recently, is that people are diverging from the UK Government approach, e.g. wanting lockdown to continue longer.

I don’t really see how expressing a view on this is much different to expressing a view on when the lockdown was initially put in place.
I did not realise there had been loads of those Government debunking blogs on 13:04 - May 19 with 876 viewsgordon

For the sake of democracy in this country, it's really critical that they lose the next election - if the strategy is successful again, then we're really careering down the the slippery slope to somewhere pretty awful.
Login to get fewer ads

I did not realise there had been loads of those Government debunking blogs on 13:07 - May 19 with 872 viewsgordon

I did not realise there had been loads of those Government debunking blogs on 10:44 - May 19 by Darth_Koont

Yes, I've seen a few questions raised re: unusual government responses but good to have these incidences all in one place.

I suppose the question is: what was normal practice before? And the follow-up: is this unique to a major crisis like Coronavirus or signifying a more permanent shift?

But considering we've now got a government that is more or less a collection of political gamers, nudgers, manipulators and often liars then we should definitely, definitely Stay Alert to them.

The strategy of a government spreading misinformation to discredit critical media sources is fairly novel in this country. There is certainly precedent in other countries, though.
I did not realise there had been loads of those Government debunking blogs on 13:13 - May 19 with 857 viewsDarth_Koont

I did not realise there had been loads of those Government debunking blogs on 13:07 - May 19 by gordon

The strategy of a government spreading misinformation to discredit critical media sources is fairly novel in this country. There is certainly precedent in other countries, though.

Getting government departments to do it as a way to dismiss criticism and deflect from the politicians having to answer is novel, I agree.

But to be fair, they've been spreading misleading stuff and managing the message via client journalism for the last few years, and certainly since Johnson got in.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024