Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car Hire 13:00 - Jun 21 with 977 viewsCoastalblue

I'm sure I've seen some suggested links on here in the past. Driving a bit of a cr4pper these days that I don't really trust for long distance treks, thinking about hiring a car later in the year to go visit family in Scotland.

This means mileage limitations are not ideal, anybody got any reccomendations? Thinking about a week's hire, probably medium sized, ideally comfortable.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Car Hire on 13:03 - Jun 21 with 968 viewsSpruceMoose

Usually use Hertz when we come back to the UK. They aren't always the cheapest, but having used most of the well known businesses over the years I've found them to have the better service, quicker pick up, less attempted upselling, nicer cars (from UK airports at least) and fewer 'hidden' fees. Also can't recall ever having any mileage limitations.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2020 13:04]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Car Hire on 13:39 - Jun 21 with 918 viewsIpswichKnight

Avis normally do unlimited mileage and have a good range of types of car. Europcar I think it was let you decide which vehicle to pick, it was at Heathrow they checked the license and rental agreement then pointed you towards the cars and told me to pick one, got a nice Focus which took to Wales for a week.
Car Hire on 15:51 - Jun 21 with 853 viewsfactual_blue

Car Hire on 13:03 - Jun 21 by SpruceMoose

Usually use Hertz when we come back to the UK. They aren't always the cheapest, but having used most of the well known businesses over the years I've found them to have the better service, quicker pick up, less attempted upselling, nicer cars (from UK airports at least) and fewer 'hidden' fees. Also can't recall ever having any mileage limitations.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2020 13:04]

MooseHire gone to the wall then?

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Car Hire on 09:05 - Jun 22 with 748 viewsbluespud

All the major providers are unlimited mileage these days (on everything except vans and supercars), and they are all desperate for business post-COVID. I used to work for Avis so I'm obviously biased in suggesting they are the best - if you do go for them thenusing this discount code on their website will get you c13% off: u900002
Car Hire on 09:09 - Jun 22 with 744 viewsbluelagos

It's a long old slog. Looked at the train and a hire from Glasgow/Edinburgh? Get in early and the prices might surprise you.

I have used Hertz/Avis/Budget/Enterprise all much of a muchness tbh. Ipswich has a Budget very close to the station.

You can use travelsupermarket for best prices. Earlier you book - best prices. Leave it late, you get ripped.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Car Hire on 09:21 - Jun 22 with 723 viewsWeWereZombies

Car Hire on 09:09 - Jun 22 by bluelagos

It's a long old slog. Looked at the train and a hire from Glasgow/Edinburgh? Get in early and the prices might surprise you.

I have used Hertz/Avis/Budget/Enterprise all much of a muchness tbh. Ipswich has a Budget very close to the station.

You can use travelsupermarket for best prices. Earlier you book - best prices. Leave it late, you get ripped.

It is a long slog, I know having done it many - too many - times. I now stop off for at least one night on the way even though the driving time is twelve/ thirteen hours and could be done in a day. But you are not fresh even halfway through so it is advisable to have a proper break half way. Also, the English bit of the route is the busiest so an early start to tackle it when the roads are quiet helps. For me, hell starts or ends (depending on whether I am travelling south or north) at Darlington; once I am on the A68 everything relaxes, apart from the Edinburgh bypass that is. If travelling up the west side but not actually going into Glasgow using the M8 can get you across the city remarkably fast outside of rush hour, I once did it in thirteen minutes but do watch out for those speed cameras, variable speed limits and so on - as I said I have done it many, too many, times...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Car Hire on 07:58 - Jun 23 with 630 viewsCoastalblue

Thanks for the advice (and code) all, I'll have a shop around and see what I can find.

I'm well aware of the journey, I used to drive up to Scotland once every couple of months and spend a week or so visiting customers. My best time was coming home one Friday, left very early and did Glagow-London in a tad over seven hours, also had time when it took literally twice that.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Car Hire on 09:30 - Jun 23 with 595 viewsChutney

Enterprise used to do a weekend deal that was pretty cheap, not sure if they still do it. They also have unlimited mileage so they were a really good option for me back in the day. They were a friendly bunch too in that Whitehouse office next to ASDA.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024