Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Claire Fox on BBC's Any Questions tonight 23:00 - Jul 10 with 2125 viewstractordownsouth

Not sure she should be given a platform on a public service broadcaster. She's a pretty clear extremist - has previously been part of organisations which voiced support for the IRA and denied the Bosnian genocide, and has refused to apologise for both.

When she was an MEP, it would have been fine as I don't think elected officials should be barred from these sort of things. I'm still not convinced we should ban people based on their views (unless they're inciting hatred/telling lies) but if extremists are to be given platforms then surely this should be made clear to the audience, at the very least? I haven't tuned in, but from the BBC Politics tweet, there's no mention of her previous exploits in the description of her
[Post edited 10 Jul 2020 23:00]

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Claire Fox on BBC's Any Questions tonight on 10:53 - Jul 11 with 1907 viewsmidastouch

Listened last night on BBC Sounds.

Also listened to a couple of episodes of HARDtalk. First up this one:

Danny Danon, Israeli Ambassador to the UN — BBC HARDtalk
"Just days ago the Israeli-Palestinian conflict appeared to be on the brink of an historic shift. Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu seemed intent on annexing a major chunk of the occupied West Bank. Palestinians and many beyond the region warned of dire consequences. But so far it hasn’t happened. HARDtalk’s Stephen Sackur speaks to the outgoing Israeli ambassador to the United Nations Danny Danon. Has Netanyahu blinked in the face of international condemnation?"

The part where they got into a debate about Biblical land rights vs international law proved rather surreal!

And also this one:

Ronny Tong - Executive Council, Hong Kong - BBC HARDtalk
"Residents of Hong Kong are living with a new reality — a draconian national security law made in China and imposed on the territory with no meaningful consultation. Pro-democracy activists call it the death of the one country, two systems principle established 23 years ago. HARDtalk’s Stephen Sackur speaks to Ronnie Tong, once a pro-democracy politician, now a loyalist of the Beijing backed Hong Kong government. Has China just killed Hong Kong’s special status?"

Ronnie Tong proved very belligerent!

Poll: Would you trade Marcus Evans for Mike Ashley?

Claire Fox on BBC's Any Questions tonight on 11:05 - Jul 11 with 1874 viewsGlasgowBlue

Former Communist. Another example of the horse shoe theory.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Claire Fox on BBC's Any Questions tonight on 11:53 - Jul 11 with 1833 viewsDarth_Koont

Ditto Brendan O'Neill. And we should be worried that Munira Mirza is as close to power as she is.

The problem with these self-styled "Marxist libertarians" is they're acutely aware of the political game and unencumbered by the need for politics to provide democratic representation. For them, politics is a wrecking ball to leave nothing behind but "liberty".

Pronouns: He/Him

Claire Fox on BBC's Any Questions tonight on 11:59 - Jul 11 with 1819 viewsDarth_Koont

Claire Fox on BBC's Any Questions tonight on 11:05 - Jul 11 by GlasgowBlue

Former Communist. Another example of the horse shoe theory.

The horseshoe theory promoted by Nawaz, a radical centrist?

He used it to argue George Galloway was the same as the far right. But the irony is that Nawaz is the same as Galloway as a rent-a-gob polemicist who above all wants to promote himself.

I think politics from left to right have people who abuse the system in order to game it. We always need to be on our guard against those with a self-serving agenda.

Claire Fox on BBC's Any Questions tonight on 12:26 - Jul 11 with 1782 viewstractordownsouth

Claire Fox on BBC's Any Questions tonight on 11:59 - Jul 11 by Darth_Koont

The horseshoe theory promoted by Nawaz, a radical centrist?

He used it to argue George Galloway was the same as the far right. But the irony is that Nawaz is the same as Galloway as a rent-a-gob polemicist who above all wants to promote himself.

I think politics from left to right have people who abuse the system in order to game it. We always need to be on our guard against those with a self-serving agenda.

When it comes to economic policy, Galloway is about as far from the right as you can get, but the horeshoe theory is definitely a legitimate one in some cases. Piers Corbyn was also a Trump supporter in the last election, for example, and Galloway wants him to win this time, albeit begrudgingly.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Claire Fox on BBC's Any Questions tonight on 12:34 - Jul 11 with 1760 viewsDarth_Koont

Claire Fox on BBC's Any Questions tonight on 12:26 - Jul 11 by tractordownsouth

When it comes to economic policy, Galloway is about as far from the right as you can get, but the horeshoe theory is definitely a legitimate one in some cases. Piers Corbyn was also a Trump supporter in the last election, for example, and Galloway wants him to win this time, albeit begrudgingly.

That doesn't actually suggest that there's a legitimate horseshoe theory though. It does back up what I'm saying about self-promoting, controversy-seeking operators across the spectrum.

The centrists need to be a lot more critical about their own loons before they start dismissing the left and right.

On a related note, I see that Nawaz has jumped on the Uyghur bandwagon now that it's become a sanctioned right-wing position. And pretending that a couple of years hasn't already gone by.

Claire Fox on BBC's Any Questions tonight on 12:39 - Jul 11 with 1750 viewsgiant_stow

Claire Fox on BBC's Any Questions tonight on 12:26 - Jul 11 by tractordownsouth

Blimey - Trump supporting?! thats the last shred or respect I had for him gone. Didn't he back Brexit too? Apologies if wrong.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Claire Fox on BBC's Any Questions tonight on 18:31 - Jul 11 with 1612 viewsGlasgowBlue

Claire Fox on BBC's Any Questions tonight on 12:34 - Jul 11 by Darth_Koont

That doesn't actually suggest that there's a legitimate horseshoe theory though. It does back up what I'm saying about self-promoting, controversy-seeking operators across the spectrum.

The centrists need to be a lot more critical about their own loons before they start dismissing the left and right.

On a related note, I see that Nawaz has jumped on the Uyghur bandwagon now that it's become a sanctioned right-wing position. And pretending that a couple of years hasn't already gone by.

"On a related note, I see that Nawaz has jumped on the Uyghur bandwagon now that it's become a sanctioned right-wing position. And pretending that a couple of years hasn't already gone by."

Meanwhile on the subject China's treatment of the Uighur Muslims, what is your view of a number of Muslim majority countries supporting China’s policy towards Uighurs?

Now if only China would change it's name to Israel eh?

Iron Lion Zion

Login to get fewer ads

Claire Fox on BBC's Any Questions tonight on 23:00 - Jul 11 with 1514 viewsDarth_Koont

Claire Fox on BBC's Any Questions tonight on 18:31 - Jul 11 by GlasgowBlue

"On a related note, I see that Nawaz has jumped on the Uyghur bandwagon now that it's become a sanctioned right-wing position. And pretending that a couple of years hasn't already gone by."

Meanwhile on the subject China's treatment of the Uighur Muslims, what is your view of a number of Muslim majority countries supporting China’s policy towards Uighurs?

Now if only China would change it's name to Israel eh?

He's a scummy player of the game.

Don't get too attached.

Claire Fox on BBC's Any Questions tonight on 23:13 - Jul 11 with 1500 viewsGlasgowBlue

Claire Fox on BBC's Any Questions tonight on 23:00 - Jul 11 by Darth_Koont

He's a scummy player of the game.

Don't get too attached.

Well swerved.

Iron Lion Zion

Claire Fox on BBC's Any Questions tonight on 00:00 - Jul 12 with 1425 viewsDarth_Koont

Claire Fox on BBC's Any Questions tonight on 23:13 - Jul 11 by GlasgowBlue

Well swerved.

Thanks.

I just swerved away from you and onto the right side of history.

You’ve got a talent for being wrong if only you’d accept it.

Claire Fox on BBC's Any Questions tonight on 07:06 - Jul 12 with 1358 viewsGlasgowBlue

Claire Fox on BBC's Any Questions tonight on 00:00 - Jul 12 by Darth_Koont

Thanks.

I just swerved away from you and onto the right side of history.

You’ve got a talent for being wrong if only you’d accept it.

The right side of history where you made up a completely false statement regarding Maajid Nawaz and his highlighting China’s brutal treatment of the Uighur Muslims”.

The right side of history where you completely swerved condemning 46 governments who signed a letter supporting China’s policy towards Uighurs including Iran, Serbia, Palestine, Iraq, Pakistan?

The right side of history where you have consistently attacked members of a minority community complaining about racism rather than those who committed the racism, whilst dismissing many of their complaints as smears orchestrated by a foreign government?

You have odd concept of “The right side of history”.

Look. You were proved wrong regarding your Nawaz statement. Why not just put your hands up and admit it?

Iron Lion Zion

Claire Fox on BBC's Any Questions tonight on 15:54 - Jul 12 with 1218 viewsDarth_Koont

Claire Fox on BBC's Any Questions tonight on 07:06 - Jul 12 by GlasgowBlue

The right side of history where you made up a completely false statement regarding Maajid Nawaz and his highlighting China’s brutal treatment of the Uighur Muslims”.

The right side of history where you completely swerved condemning 46 governments who signed a letter supporting China’s policy towards Uighurs including Iran, Serbia, Palestine, Iraq, Pakistan?

The right side of history where you have consistently attacked members of a minority community complaining about racism rather than those who committed the racism, whilst dismissing many of their complaints as smears orchestrated by a foreign government?

You have odd concept of “The right side of history”.

Look. You were proved wrong regarding your Nawaz statement. Why not just put your hands up and admit it?

OK, I'll admit I was wrong that he hadn't mentioned the Uyghurs before. Now it's ramped up and tied into the new China crusade where he's pushed himself to the fore. That's the particular right-wing bandwagon I was thinking of.

People have been criticising China for decades on human rights while our own government has been happy to treat it as business as usual. No governments around the world should be supporting them now.

And as you bring it up, that's just like Israel. We've looked the other way and the current situation is the result - the total abandonment of a two-state solution even before the threatened annexation.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024