Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Operation 'Blame the Public' has been a success then...... 15:58 - Aug 5 with 8226 viewsDubtractor

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Operation 'Blame the Public' has been a success then...... on 09:05 - Aug 6 with 902 viewsgazzer1999

Operation 'Blame the Public' has been a success then...... on 08:33 - Aug 6 by Herbivore

It fully answered the question, you just don't want to hear the answer because it's 'your team' that have to carry the can. I would add in that our comparatively high death rate may also be partly down to us letting Covid run riot through care homes, where those most likely to not survive the virus are congregated. We've had a lot of cases in that vulnerable sector of the population as a result. I am not sure what the situation was in Germany in that respect but given they've handled the whole thing more competently than us I'd imagine they didn't just let Covid into care homes with no testing or PPE to at least give people a chance.

Where are your figures on cases from? According to the WHO we had 670 new cases in the last day versus 741 in Germany, though factoring in the difference in population our rate of new cases remains higher per 100k of the population.

Also, you're doing the classic Tory thing of trying to extrapolate from your own narrow experience to universal truth. Actually lots of people feel like they shouldn't have to follow the advice when senior government officials don't. There was a study on it the other day. If the government doesn't treat its rules as important, others won't either. And likewise, just because you think the advice is clear (I don't think you actually believe that either to be honest) it doesn't mean that it is. Have a look at some of 'the week in Tory' posts on Twitter, one was linked to yesterday. Their guidance has been all over the shop a lot of the time.
[Post edited 6 Aug 2020 9:08]

Thank you for your measured response, unlike the one received further up the thread by another poster. I got my figures from here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ it seems to have the correct up to date figures as reported by the media. 'My team' as you put it have nothing to do with what I was asking, I was trying to engage with the experts on here that may have the answers.
With regard to care homes all I can say is my daughter in law works in one and she informs me there was never any problems with PPE in her care home, no doctor saw supposedly covid deaths it was just on the say so of the care home. The local authority pressured the care home to take covid sufferers from hospitals with a threat to withhold funding, and the care home took them as it was money for the owners. With regard to testing she had no problem from the start getting tested and getting results back within 24 hrs for herself, my son and grand children. I am sure this is not the case everywhere but as you can imagine you can only go on the facts given to you.
Are we on top of the virus now? if so why are so many people dying? if not what should we be doing?
Operation 'Blame the Public' has been a success then...... on 09:27 - Aug 6 with 877 viewsHerbivore

Operation 'Blame the Public' has been a success then...... on 09:05 - Aug 6 by gazzer1999

Thank you for your measured response, unlike the one received further up the thread by another poster. I got my figures from here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ it seems to have the correct up to date figures as reported by the media. 'My team' as you put it have nothing to do with what I was asking, I was trying to engage with the experts on here that may have the answers.
With regard to care homes all I can say is my daughter in law works in one and she informs me there was never any problems with PPE in her care home, no doctor saw supposedly covid deaths it was just on the say so of the care home. The local authority pressured the care home to take covid sufferers from hospitals with a threat to withhold funding, and the care home took them as it was money for the owners. With regard to testing she had no problem from the start getting tested and getting results back within 24 hrs for herself, my son and grand children. I am sure this is not the case everywhere but as you can imagine you can only go on the facts given to you.
Are we on top of the virus now? if so why are so many people dying? if not what should we be doing?

Again you are trying to extrapolate from your own narrow experience and passing it off as what must have happened universally. I am glad your daughter in law's care home had adequate PPE and access to testing but there are countless examples of this not being the case elsewhere. You can't just ignore that and say that because 100% of the care homes you know about was okay then all care homes were okay.

The virus has never been under control here. We don't have adequate testing, tracking and tracing in place which might also help with controlling the virus.

I am not sure about those stats, the daily case and deaths look fair enough but what constitutes a serious case is rather subjective. Germany still hasn fewer cases per 100k of the population than us but cases are creeping up. Deaths in the UK yesterday will be of people who likely contracted Covid 2-3 weeks ago so comparing them with new cases in the UK and Germany isn't necessarily helpful. We've retained a fairly high infection rate throughout compared to other countries.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Operation 'Blame the Public' has been a success then...... on 09:46 - Aug 6 with 853 viewsgazzer1999

Operation 'Blame the Public' has been a success then...... on 09:27 - Aug 6 by Herbivore

Again you are trying to extrapolate from your own narrow experience and passing it off as what must have happened universally. I am glad your daughter in law's care home had adequate PPE and access to testing but there are countless examples of this not being the case elsewhere. You can't just ignore that and say that because 100% of the care homes you know about was okay then all care homes were okay.

The virus has never been under control here. We don't have adequate testing, tracking and tracing in place which might also help with controlling the virus.

I am not sure about those stats, the daily case and deaths look fair enough but what constitutes a serious case is rather subjective. Germany still hasn fewer cases per 100k of the population than us but cases are creeping up. Deaths in the UK yesterday will be of people who likely contracted Covid 2-3 weeks ago so comparing them with new cases in the UK and Germany isn't necessarily helpful. We've retained a fairly high infection rate throughout compared to other countries.

I think we forget that we are talking about private businesses here when talking about care homes. Remember they are in this business to make money, how they are regulated may not be fit for purpose. It seems we highly regulate everything but not the elderly in care homes, which are under the remit of the local authority, this is an utter disgrace, we may all need to go into care sometime in the future.Hospitals removed all covid cases into care homes as soon as possible to get them off their books so to speak otherwise they would have been recorded as a hospital covid case.
I may then question the level of care and isolation for these elderly when they were in the care home, I think this has been a problem all over the world, even Scotland where their figures have been quite shocking.
Where we go with all this I don't know, but when we reflect in the future something needs to be done with regard to the elderly in care, even if it means we ALL pay more in tax to cover this in the future.
Operation 'Blame the Public' has been a success then...... on 09:49 - Aug 6 with 847 viewsLibero

Operation 'Blame the Public' has been a success then...... on 18:46 - Aug 5 by Guthrum

Silly and irrelevant question, too. They're asking who is to blame for a situation which has not occurred yet, the circumstances of which cannot be known until - and if - it does.

It's like asking who is at fault if there was a road traffic accident next Thursday.

Plus this is an infectious disease we're dealing with, a virus which can naturally mutate. Neither Government policy nor public behaviour are necessarily effective (certainly not completely so) in preventing its recurrance.

Yeah, I'm with you - valueless information.
Operation 'Blame the Public' has been a success then...... on 10:35 - Aug 6 with 823 viewsHalf_Idiot

Operation 'Blame the Public' has been a success then...... on 18:06 - Aug 5 by bluelagos

Quite a few on here vocal in labelling those on holiday etc. as irresponsible and/or selfish. I prefer to take the line that they are holidaying within the guidelines and that if they are responsible for spreading CV - those who allow them / make the rules are the people we should blame.

And of course the media focusing on those (inevitable) break downs of social distancing etc. never report on people playing by the rules, as it's not newsworthy.

Focus should be on the policy makers, for me.

Exactly! If people are acting within the guidelines and are still spreading CV then the blame can only lie at the feet of those who set the guidelines.

The government is to blame for their flagrant disregard for the general public. They have put the wallets of the wealthy ahead of the people.
Operation 'Blame the Public' has been a success then...... on 10:40 - Aug 6 with 816 viewsHalf_Idiot

Operation 'Blame the Public' has been a success then...... on 18:46 - Aug 5 by Guthrum

Silly and irrelevant question, too. They're asking who is to blame for a situation which has not occurred yet, the circumstances of which cannot be known until - and if - it does.

It's like asking who is at fault if there was a road traffic accident next Thursday.

Plus this is an infectious disease we're dealing with, a virus which can naturally mutate. Neither Government policy nor public behaviour are necessarily effective (certainly not completely so) in preventing its recurrance.

If that road accident was to happen at the location of some known faulty traffic lights and those responsible for fixing them only put up very vague and confusing signs, then I could confidently assume that those to blame are the ones responsible for fixing the traffic lights.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024