Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
more Tory corruption 12:18 - Nov 18 with 2902 viewsHARRY10

"The mismanagement, the incompetence, the reckless waste — all of this is shocking. But worse, perhaps, is the brazen cronyism involved.

The National Audit Office report on Personal Protective Equipment procurement is a searing indictment of this Government's incompetence."

A truly shocking state of affairs where even if it can be said to be incompetence rather than corruption, those involved need to be held to account.

However, anyone reading the link (below) will see that incompetence may have occurred, but the overall appearance of 'snouts i the trough' is what stands out.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8961343/Fury-18bn-PPE-scandal.html#comm
[Post edited 18 Nov 2020 12:20]
more Tory corruption on 19:36 - Nov 18 with 465 viewsSwansea_Blue

more Tory corruption on 19:14 - Nov 18 by catch74

‘Captain hindsight’ was used by Johnson again today, I recommend you don’t use him as a role model.
No one on here knew at the time a fixer was being paid £21m, we’re finding out now.
The problem is there was £74m pounds of unusable PPE - I hope none of the trusted fixers were used to source that.

That money spent on an exorbitant fee for a 'fixer' (when we had a free alternative) and the wasted cost on unusable PPE would have more than covered the cost of the extension of the free school meals policy over Christmas and the Feb half term that they didn't want to pay.

Priorities innit.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

more Tory corruption on 19:38 - Nov 18 with 462 viewsHARRY10

more Tory corruption on 18:31 - Nov 18 by BlueForYou

Under the extreme circumstances at the time, with everybody crying & pleading for the basic PPE material, do you really honestly think that a Labour Government would have done any better or any differently? Too many people are too quick & happy to pile in & criticise when they could not have done any better. I'm not not a raging Tory, but a very centre common sense guy. End of the day if you need something immediate & quickly there is little alternative but to use a "fixer" & that always involves a hefty fee.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2020 18:34]

Absolute nonsense from first to last
more Tory corruption on 19:44 - Nov 18 with 460 viewsStokieBlue

Under the extreme circumstances at the time, with everybody crying & pleading for the basic PPE material, do you really honestly think that a Labour Government would have done any better or any differently? Too many people are too quick & happy to pile in & criticise when they could not have done any better. I'm not not a raging Tory, but a very centre common sense guy. End of the day if you need something immediate & quickly there is little alternative but to use a "fixer" & that always involves a hefty fee.

That's absolute rubbish.

Watch the section on Newsnight about PPE sourcing from last night. Actual PPE companies were willing to source stuff at 61p, the government said 51p so they lowered to that and then they said 21p so the company said they couldn't do it as that was below the cost price.

Then documents are released months later showing that the contract actually ended up with a finance and acquisition company and they sold the PPE at 66p each.

Defend that.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

more Tory corruption on 19:54 - Nov 18 with 446 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

more Tory corruption on 19:06 - Nov 18 by BlueForYou

I think you could fairly argue that we could & should have done more to somehow forsee events, but in the grip of a panic its very difficult not to approach known & "trusted" fixers who are offering solid guarantee of actually producing the goods with potentially millions of lives at stake. No-one knew how it would be. An awful lot of hindsight managers around!

"In the grip of a panic"?!

Good grief. This IS a national government we're talking about here and not me because I have accidentally hammered a floorboard nail through a water pipe.

I think it is entirely fair to question this government's approach to the awarding of contracts for PPE provision when they made a point of removing the need for checks and balances and removing the people who may have offered sound advice on who best to go to.

And those solid guarantees look a bit suspect when viewed against the sums spent on PPE which turned out to be unusable/sub-standard.

The government has appeared to be either incompetent, wilfully negligent or corrupt. At a stretch one might say that they were doing their best but if that was their best then heaven help us. I, however, cannot accept that this was their best - unless it was their best attempt to take full financial advantage of a pandemic.

Hindsight? Johnson will need to come up with something better than "we had no idea" to explain away PPE contracts to pest control firms, financial advisers and companies incorporated 2 weeks before (or was it two weeks after?) the awarding of the contract.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

more Tory corruption on 20:14 - Nov 18 with 432 viewsBlueBadger

Oh dear, are you the 'duty' one tonight?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

more Tory corruption on 20:32 - Nov 18 with 414 viewsHARRY10

more Tory corruption on 20:14 - Nov 18 by BlueBadger

Oh dear, are you the 'duty' one tonight?

and therein lies the problem - because however blindingly obvious stuff is

there always seems to be those willing to crawl out with weasel words trying to excuse corruption and incompetence

a sort of the Parrot sketch re-enacted to deny any fault by this government

odious Quislings
more Tory corruption on 20:38 - Nov 18 with 415 viewsBlueBadger

more Tory corruption on 20:32 - Nov 18 by HARRY10

and therein lies the problem - because however blindingly obvious stuff is

there always seems to be those willing to crawl out with weasel words trying to excuse corruption and incompetence

a sort of the Parrot sketch re-enacted to deny any fault by this government

odious Quislings

Imagine being so low in the Kremlin hierarchy you get this place as part of the ongoing 'destabilise the West with bullsh1t propaganda for the extreme right' project though.

No wonder so many of them have gone mad and gotten banned, that can't be good for the self esteem.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2020 20:57]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

more Tory corruption on 20:59 - Nov 18 with 406 viewsBlueBadger

more Tory corruption on 19:06 - Nov 18 by BlueForYou

I think you could fairly argue that we could & should have done more to somehow forsee events, but in the grip of a panic its very difficult not to approach known & "trusted" fixers who are offering solid guarantee of actually producing the goods with potentially millions of lives at stake. No-one knew how it would be. An awful lot of hindsight managers around!

'They're doing their best' is what you say about an under 11's team that are losing 13-0, not a government that has presided over the worst death toll in Europe, despite having the advantages of extra time, being an island nation and one of the top 10 economies in the world.

Login to get fewer ads

more Tory corruption on 21:04 - Nov 18 with 396 viewsjeera

more Tory corruption on 19:38 - Nov 18 by HARRY10

Absolute nonsense from first to last

Not read a word on this has he?

It's the usual stance of following what they think must have happened rather than taking so much as a vague interest in the facts.

How can giving contracts to newly set-up companies be "known & "trusted" fixers who are offering solid guarantee of actually producing the goods", especially when several had never dealt with PPE in their entire existence?

Or £20 million to a Chinese firm for faulty testing kits, or a much anticipated plane load of equipment from Turkey that pretty much ended on EBay because it wasn't of the required quality for the NHS.
[Post edited 18 Nov 2020 21:08]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

more Tory corruption on 21:26 - Nov 18 with 375 viewsHARRY10

This begs the question of how rife this kind of corruption is, among the Tory party ?

Coming not long after Robert Jenrick try to fuddle things so his mate would void a charge on a housing development in London Docklands

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/jun/14/riddle-of-tory-minister-jenrick

What happened to with the enquiries into Johnson handing grants to his previous floozy, and the money he got from various Russian ;businessmen' ?

We are seeing the sleaze and corruption of the Major years being played out again.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024