Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bobby Robson - A nice article in an Irish online rag 15:09 - Dec 27 with 1352 viewswellhungphil

https://www.the42.ie/bob-harris-bobby-robson-interview-5307584-Dec2020/

I don't even recall Bobby being part of the Steve Staunton sham-show, perhaps because his involvement was very limited due to failing health.

Worth a read though, and a few Ipswich snippets thrown in too.
Bobby Robson - A nice article in an Irish online rag on 16:35 - Dec 27 with 1264 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

It is a very good piece, Bob Harris was a very good journalist. What it does prove is that football management is mostly about how you control twenty or more very rich young men. Anyone can get a coaching certificate and shove out a few cones and come up with a system that you want your players to stick to.
Controlling and managing these players is a different thing altogether. Man ( I guess I should really say people), management skills to the degree that Robson, Klopp, Ferguson, Guardiola etc had/have are very rare indeed.
Only time will tell if PL has these skills. They are the difference often between success and failure. So often supporters fail to realise that 'off the pitch issues' are just as important to get the desired results.
Bobby Robson - A nice article in an Irish online rag on 16:49 - Dec 27 with 1238 views66notout

Bobby Robson - A nice article in an Irish online rag on 16:35 - Dec 27 by Timefliesbyintheblue

It is a very good piece, Bob Harris was a very good journalist. What it does prove is that football management is mostly about how you control twenty or more very rich young men. Anyone can get a coaching certificate and shove out a few cones and come up with a system that you want your players to stick to.
Controlling and managing these players is a different thing altogether. Man ( I guess I should really say people), management skills to the degree that Robson, Klopp, Ferguson, Guardiola etc had/have are very rare indeed.
Only time will tell if PL has these skills. They are the difference often between success and failure. So often supporters fail to realise that 'off the pitch issues' are just as important to get the desired results.

Only time will tell? How many games do you suggest we give Lambert? I’d have thought his record post-Norwich - and in more than two years with us - demonstrates what to expect.
I am also intrigued how you know Bob Harris was a very good journalist. I know the name but I am unaware of his achievements.
Bobby Robson - A nice article in an Irish online rag on 17:14 - Dec 27 with 1214 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Bobby Robson - A nice article in an Irish online rag on 16:49 - Dec 27 by 66notout

Only time will tell? How many games do you suggest we give Lambert? I’d have thought his record post-Norwich - and in more than two years with us - demonstrates what to expect.
I am also intrigued how you know Bob Harris was a very good journalist. I know the name but I am unaware of his achievements.

Yep you could well be correct with regards to PL; it is just that I am not convinced now is the right time to change management. Whatever the social media outcry I believe we should hold fire until this season is over.
Bob Harris loves his cricket and football and I am a lover of both as well. He is better known for his books on both against his football columns perhaps. This is because a lot of us do not bother to look at who was responsible for writing the column that we have just read!
I have not heard of him for a few years apart from knowing he was a friend of Bobby Robson and helped with his biographies as well as those of other prominent sportsmen.
Bobby Robson - A nice article in an Irish online rag on 17:36 - Dec 27 with 1194 views66notout

Bobby Robson - A nice article in an Irish online rag on 17:14 - Dec 27 by Timefliesbyintheblue

Yep you could well be correct with regards to PL; it is just that I am not convinced now is the right time to change management. Whatever the social media outcry I believe we should hold fire until this season is over.
Bob Harris loves his cricket and football and I am a lover of both as well. He is better known for his books on both against his football columns perhaps. This is because a lot of us do not bother to look at who was responsible for writing the column that we have just read!
I have not heard of him for a few years apart from knowing he was a friend of Bobby Robson and helped with his biographies as well as those of other prominent sportsmen.

Thank you but did you see the extract from the book in which he described Town under Bobby?

I’ve cut and pasted it here....

“Look at their record in European and English football when he was there. He ran the club from top to bottom with a female secretary, an assistant manager and a bloke in the office. And that was it.”

Nowhere near accurate. I’ve heard about him running the club from A to Z but while the staffing may have been modest I can’t imagine it was as Mickey Mouse as Harris would have us believe. That was the main reason for my question.
Bobby Robson - A nice article in an Irish online rag on 17:56 - Dec 27 with 1178 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Bobby Robson - A nice article in an Irish online rag on 17:36 - Dec 27 by 66notout

Thank you but did you see the extract from the book in which he described Town under Bobby?

I’ve cut and pasted it here....

“Look at their record in European and English football when he was there. He ran the club from top to bottom with a female secretary, an assistant manager and a bloke in the office. And that was it.”

Nowhere near accurate. I’ve heard about him running the club from A to Z but while the staffing may have been modest I can’t imagine it was as Mickey Mouse as Harris would have us believe. That was the main reason for my question.

To be fair 66notout, it is not that far from the truth. BR had almost complete autonomy when at Portman Road. There is an infamous tale that suggested he even chose the colour the boardroom toilets were painted!
Marcus Evans has recoiled that the advice given to him by BR was 'let your manages manage'. Perhaps he has taken that advice too literally at times. This is now a couple of generations ago and things have moved on considerably. Perhaps Keane, Jewell, McCarthy, Hurst and now Lambert have been given too much leeway.
Managing a football club today is so so different to what it was then. Given untold riches, if there is one post I would never aspire to, it is to be the owner of a football club!
Lord Alan Sugar, Barry Hearn and Marcus Evans are just three prominent business men who have not had the success at owning clubs they would have expected.
Bobby Robson - A nice article in an Irish online rag on 20:10 - Dec 27 with 1088 viewsEireannach_gorm

And does he feel it was unfair of the FAI to ask him to go on Liveline?

“Absolutely, and he knew he did it, because he was helping to cover up for somebody else.

I thought the same at the time. It was typical of the FAI to pass the buck. It was clear that the took advantage of a sick man who really wanted the bizarre setup to work. I appreciated his efforts at the time because it clearly was in an unfit state physically and even more so now. He had more class in his little finger than the whole FAI. The only good thing is that there has been payback as the whole FAI board has been replaced of because of their incompetence in a recent scandal.
Bobby Robson - A nice article in an Irish online rag on 08:06 - Dec 28 with 911 viewssohamblue74

Always lovely to read about SBR.
Consistently successful as a football manager and universally acknowledged as a wonderful person too.

I watched More than a manager a few years ago thoroughly enjoyed it. Made me cry a bit too.

I got Game changers as a Christmas present. A great read so far. It is clear that the Dutch lads also loved SBR, and warmed to him and ITFC very quickly. TWTD.
Bobby Robson - A nice article in an Irish online rag on 10:46 - Dec 28 with 854 viewsBlueBadger

Bobby Robson - A nice article in an Irish online rag on 16:35 - Dec 27 by Timefliesbyintheblue

Lambert's had over decade in management and has spent the last 8 years failing everywhere he's been. He needs to get a move on developing his skills, frankly.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024