Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic 17:40 - Dec 24 with 4568 viewsElderGrizzly

You’ll be shocked to hear, it isn’t great for us

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 18:27 - Dec 24 with 3882 viewsfactual_blue

The devil is in the detail

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attac

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 18:46 - Dec 24 with 3815 viewsThisIsMyUsername

But there will now be fewer Eastern Europeans in the country (right?) and we can get a smart blue passport, plus the power to absolutely smash the fishing profits.
[Post edited 24 Dec 2020 18:46]

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 19:33 - Dec 24 with 3654 viewswellsy700

Gutted to see we no longer have access to Erasmus 😔 The best year of my life was spent volunteering in Finland through Erasmus. Our youth will miss out on so many opportunities... when’s the next election?

NZ Blue
Poll: Who stays? Who goes?

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 19:37 - Dec 24 with 3626 viewsWD19

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 19:33 - Dec 24 by wellsy700

Gutted to see we no longer have access to Erasmus 😔 The best year of my life was spent volunteering in Finland through Erasmus. Our youth will miss out on so many opportunities... when’s the next election?

I thought this, but it is such an obvious and quick win that there must be a reason why we haven’t continued it. Suggestion seems to be that the commercial terms were awful so we are better off setting up something different and/or renegotiating something later. Either way I am sure something akin to Erasmus will be in place sooner rather than later.
Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 20:29 - Dec 24 with 3507 viewswellsy700

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 19:37 - Dec 24 by WD19

I thought this, but it is such an obvious and quick win that there must be a reason why we haven’t continued it. Suggestion seems to be that the commercial terms were awful so we are better off setting up something different and/or renegotiating something later. Either way I am sure something akin to Erasmus will be in place sooner rather than later.

Yeah I’ve just seen we’re planning on setting up a “Turing” scheme where students can study in Universities around the world. Sceptical it will be as good as the current Erasmus scheme though

NZ Blue
Poll: Who stays? Who goes?

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 21:08 - Dec 24 with 3392 viewsTJS

I voted remain but this chart could have been written in 2016.
It’s just a list of benefits of being in the eu written by the eu.
Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 21:16 - Dec 24 with 3355 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Second on list...pet passports...my heart is bleeding!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 21:57 - Dec 24 with 3275 viewsEireannach_gorm

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 21:08 - Dec 24 by TJS

Benefits of being in the EU, surely not.
Login to get fewer ads

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 22:18 - Dec 24 with 3227 viewsBlueBadger

Benefits, that we no longer have.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 22:25 - Dec 24 with 3212 viewsjeera

"It’s just a list of benefits of being in the eu written by the eu."

Surely those are real or they are not.

And as it looks correct there cannot be any 'just' about it.

We do seem to see a lot of posters who voted Remain who seem just fine with Brexit regardless.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 22:26 - Dec 24 with 3215 viewsTJS

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 21:57 - Dec 24 by Eireannach_gorm

Benefits of being in the EU, surely not.

There’s obviously some benefits of Britain being in the eu – only the most stupid brexiteer would argue against this.
Equally for countries that are/were net contributors (Germany, France, Italy, Britain) there are significant costs as well as benefits.
Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 22:32 - Dec 24 with 3197 viewsTJS

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 22:25 - Dec 24 by jeera

"It’s just a list of benefits of being in the eu written by the eu."

Surely those are real or they are not.

And as it looks correct there cannot be any 'just' about it.

We do seem to see a lot of posters who voted Remain who seem just fine with Brexit regardless.

I was fine with brexit about a week after the vote in 2016.
I can accept the result of a democratic decision even if the outcome was other than what I voted for.
Does this make me a bad person ?
Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 22:56 - Dec 24 with 3134 viewsBlueBadger

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 22:26 - Dec 24 by TJS

There’s obviously some benefits of Britain being in the eu – only the most stupid brexiteer would argue against this.
Equally for countries that are/were net contributors (Germany, France, Italy, Britain) there are significant costs as well as benefits.

You'd have to be pretty dim to think that the costs outweigh the benefits because you've had a week to think about it and gone 'well, people voted for it'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 23:11 - Dec 24 with 3104 viewsyesjohn99

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 22:32 - Dec 24 by TJS

I was fine with brexit about a week after the vote in 2016.
I can accept the result of a democratic decision even if the outcome was other than what I voted for.
Does this make me a bad person ?

Sensible in my eyes.
Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 10:57 - Dec 25 with 2834 viewsTractorWood

Galileo access is a massive issue. Spent ages arguing about fishing when we are going to have to spend billions on our own or piggy backing another provider.

Bar that, the trade deal is a good thing. Ends years or torturous stasis and pointless waffle.

I didn't vote for it, I don't want it but following the deal and for the first time since June 16, I'm not hugely bothered about it anymore. It can now go back to being a fringe issue no one cares about apart from a few Tory loons.
[Post edited 25 Dec 2020 10:59]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 13:32 - Dec 25 with 2724 viewstractordownsouth

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 20:29 - Dec 24 by wellsy700

Yeah I’ve just seen we’re planning on setting up a “Turing” scheme where students can study in Universities around the world. Sceptical it will be as good as the current Erasmus scheme though

The Turing scheme seems to cover Canada, US and Australia. If true, that's very elitist as not many families can afford flights to those countries, whereas travel to Europe is relatively cheap

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 15:20 - Dec 25 with 2626 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

And this is the crux of the whole thing. Had Cameron and Osborne campaigned positively on the benefits of the EU and not invoked project fear with ludicrous comments about immediate recession, WW3 etc, I’m 100% certain we wouldn’t be where we are today. Pair of arrogant pillocks.
Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 17:22 - Dec 25 with 2541 viewsTJS

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 15:20 - Dec 25 by SuperKieranMcKenna

And this is the crux of the whole thing. Had Cameron and Osborne campaigned positively on the benefits of the EU and not invoked project fear with ludicrous comments about immediate recession, WW3 etc, I’m 100% certain we wouldn’t be where we are today. Pair of arrogant pillocks.

Corbyn should have done a lot more to get Remain over the line as well.
Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 17:36 - Dec 25 with 2508 viewsjas0999

That’s what happens when you leave the EU. They will retain the benefits - that’s fairly obvious.
Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 21:33 - Dec 25 with 2297 viewsjeera

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 17:22 - Dec 25 by TJS

Corbyn should have done a lot more to get Remain over the line as well.

Corbyn was not, and never has been, pro-EU.

I don't understand why people think otherwise.
[Post edited 25 Dec 2020 21:47]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 12:35 - Dec 26 with 1892 viewsbournemouthblue

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 15:20 - Dec 25 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Because the Vote Leave team didn't use any fear tactics?

The Turkish influx?
The European Army
Farage's Breaking Point Poster

To name a few

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 22:22 - Dec 26 with 1690 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 12:35 - Dec 26 by bournemouthblue

Because the Vote Leave team didn't use any fear tactics?

The Turkish influx?
The European Army
Farage's Breaking Point Poster

To name a few

Never said they didn’t. But I believe a positive remain campaign would have got it over the line.

Guess we will never know!
Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 18:11 - Dec 27 with 1442 viewstractordownsouth

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 22:22 - Dec 26 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Never said they didn’t. But I believe a positive remain campaign would have got it over the line.

Guess we will never know!

I still reckon if someone like Burnham was leading the Labour Party then he might have got remain over the line. The people that swung it were the Northern Labour voters that were alienated by Corbyn's lack of a campaign and Cameron's " don't risk what you've already got" pitch which appealed largely to middle classes and urban internationalists. Obviously that's a massive generalisation but demographically that's how the result turned out.

I remember an article from Ben Bradshaw where he said that during the campaign, a lot his Northern colleagues in the PLP were receiving worrying feedback on the doorsteps. Many didn't know Labour's position on the EU and some were inclined to vote to leave because they wanted to oppose whatever David Cameron thought was a good idea. That's probably quite a patronising take but I think there's some truth in there. The Leave argument was more attractive because it linked the cultural issues to economic grievances, by saying "the reason you can't see your GP is because of immigrants" or "the reason the fishing industry has gone down the toilet is because of unelected bureaucrats" whereas remain never really did that.

Of course, Remain couldn't do the opposite and blame it on austerity and government policy as the campaign leaders were the same ones who had made that choice, so there was no narrative. In hindsight, I'm surprised remain managed to only lose by 4 points.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 18:20 - Dec 27 with 1429 viewsfooters

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 20:29 - Dec 24 by wellsy700

I'm late to this thread, but I thought Verhofstadt and others were campaigning to keep the UK in Erasmus?

It is a big shame though. I never took part but know many who did and very much enjoyed it and got a lot from it.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2020 18:21]

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 18:29 - Dec 27 with 1409 viewsbluelagos

Handy Boris deal vs what we had graphic on 18:20 - Dec 27 by footers

I'm late to this thread, but I thought Verhofstadt and others were campaigning to keep the UK in Erasmus?

It is a big shame though. I never took part but know many who did and very much enjoyed it and got a lot from it.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2020 18:21]

Indeed. We chose not to stay in it.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024